Visual Notes, Cuba

Mar 26

In Travels at 6:57am

Just returning from Havana, where I taught at the behest of the Santa Fe Photo Workshops. I only took one DSLR with me, the newly minted Nikon DF, which proved to be the perfect, quiet, unobtrusive camera for the vibrant streets of that amazing city. Shot basically with one camera and one lens all week.

Exhausted boxer…..Nikon Df - 1/2000 sec;   f/7.1;   ISO 200;   28mm f1.4 lens.

More tk….

9 Responses to “Visual Notes, Cuba”

Mike Randolph says:

on March 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

Very cool shot. He looks like he’d have a pretty good jab! Funny, I just wrote a blog post yesterday about that very thing–one lens, one camera. It’s so liberating! Thought I’d leave the link here. Looking forward to hearing more about your thoughts on the one lens thing. http://randolphimages.com/the-one-camera-and-the-one-lens-you-need-for-travel-photography/

Nuurs Ortiz says:

on March 26, 2014 at 12:03 pm

How was everything in La Havana Joe?
Is hard to photograph there without being questioned by the authorities? I heard that is a bit crazy now, I have a couple of friends that told me so, I’m Cuban and do photography and never returned to visit Cuba since I left a few years a go, I miss my friends and La Havana Vieja being in that part of the city (the old) is like going back in time, did you had time to go to El Floridita where Hemingway used to drink Daiquiri? or “La Bodeguita del Medio”, those are amazing places for photographs, I can see you doing amazing photos over there.
That’s an amazing trip to go and do photos, I wish I can go again.
That’s an awesome photo Joe!, I love your work!!!
Nuurs

Jim Quinn says:

on March 26, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Nice angle! That looks like the gymnasia de boxeo Rafael Trejo. Friends and I dropped in last month, but the sweaty testosterone drove the ladies back outside in five minutes, so I had time for just a few shots:

Gareth Buckett says:

on March 27, 2014 at 3:42 am

Couldn’t agree more! Single camera and a prime lens is a fantastic way of viewing the world and really makes you stop and think about composition. I left zoom’s behind a few years ago. A 24mm f2.8D has become my ‘standard’ lens on my Nikon Df. How are you finding the lack of grip?

Bharat Pania says:

on March 27, 2014 at 5:46 am

Nice shot.But Your imaging power is more powerful then camera.

Tom McKean says:

on March 27, 2014 at 7:08 am

I have seen many photo essay’s shot in Cuba. The old cars. The streets, the music. I wish to go there and look for things and places that have not been photographed before. Beautiful shot Joe. I love your work also.

seth goodman says:

on March 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Nice photo! It has always been my dream to go there ever since seeing Alex Webb’s photos of Cuba.

Mick Stetson says:

on March 28, 2014 at 8:25 am

Really interesting comp. Not every week, but at least twice a month I’m checking your blog (for 5 years). Maybe sometime in the future I can attend another f….awesome workshop of yours.
Cheers. Mick Stetson

ron says:

on March 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Joe, great photo. I am sure your workshop in Cuba was a blast. I hope to see you at Photoshop world in Las Vegas.