Keeping It Simple in Vancouver….

Feb 15

In Lighting, Seminars & Workshops at 6:14pm

We continue to push ahead and have some fun up here at the Vancouver Photo Workshops, doing a whole week of experimenting with speed lights.

One speedlight, outside the window. Tri-grip diffuser held up against the glass. TTL signal from camera pulsed out the window to the flash in the street. Couple frames, soft light for Mary June, who is a lovely model. Tomorrow is a big group here at The Ironworks in Vancouver for an all day lighting demo. Then, for me, a red eye to Washington DC (if it every stops snowing). Back to Vancouver later next week.

More tk….

21 Responses to “Keeping It Simple in Vancouver….”

Joe says:

on February 15, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Great shot. Love the light.

Susan Bill says:

on February 15, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Beautiful, classic beauty, reminds me of Grace Kelly, Ava Gardner……great soft light…

Thank you This model is gorgeous!

Joe Ethridge says:

on February 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Simply Lovely!

jonathan ellul says:

on February 16, 2014 at 12:54 am

what a gorgeous shot. you have inspired me Joe, to scrape together a wee lighting kit so i can make better pictures. i came you your One-light Two-light seminar in Toronto last year, and i’m down the rabbit hole of off-camera flash now. i love it down here. this light is beautiful. wish i could come to Van.
enjoy it there. i’ve lived in Vancouver. they say you can golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon. but i never have done that in the same day. i doubt many Vancouverites have either. but they all say it!

cheers to you sir!

Mateusz Krzastek says:

on February 16, 2014 at 3:03 am

Beautiful shot!

Thanks for the workshop, witnessing how you construct a variety of different shots from scratch was really inspiring. I learnt a great deal and had tons of fun shooting :) .
Matt

Richard Hales says:

on February 16, 2014 at 4:45 am

Fantastic lighting. I may have something more profound to add one day, just not today

Andor says:

on February 16, 2014 at 5:53 am

Another amazing ‘light from outside the window’ portrait – thanks for sharing Joe!

matthew says:

on February 16, 2014 at 10:24 am

DC you say? What’s it take to get you to stop by a bar for a beer while you’re here?

Marv Ross says:

on February 16, 2014 at 3:06 pm

CLS, SC29 or PW? A tish of CTO perhaps?

Thanks for the ongoing inspiration.

Cheers,
Marv

Eric -TFB Boston says:

on February 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Oh man – such incredibly soft light – landing like a butterfly with sore feet. Outstanding.
And without a 10 foot octabox and $USD 4K of mono packs – you continue to amaze us all.

Alex Cadar says:

on February 17, 2014 at 1:26 am

Thanks for sharing this gorgeous example Joe! Looking forward for next Saturday as I am signed up for your one-day workshop at VPW. I am sure it will be a treat!

In the mean time I am going through your Sketching Light book as I can could always use a head start ;)

cheers!

Ian Bell says:

on February 17, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Thanks for coming to Vancouver Joe. Watching you work shots over 2 days was like listening to great jazz musician improvising. You, Cali and the rest of the support crew from Vancouver Photo Workshops made it a great experience, one I’d repeat in a heartbeat.

I hope all goes well in Washington and you get a little time to recharge. I think those VPW guys worked you like a rented donkey ;-) .

Be well

Mark Adams says:

on February 17, 2014 at 9:17 pm

According to the EXIF Data, this was your 37,343 shutter actuation on this D4. You are a busy, busy Artist.
By the way, it also says the shutter speed was 1/400th. FP High Speed Sync?

Thanks.

Ray Urner says:

on February 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Enjoying our fine Vancouver rain? ;)
Wicked to have you in town!

Victoria O'Connor says:

on February 18, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I had the great pleasure of attending one of the McNally seminars last week and found the content very informative. And I was pleasantly surprised when the famous Joe McNalley went around the whole audience before the event began and shook every person’s hand. In addition to being a great teacher, you’re a classy guy Joe McNally!

filmowiec kraków says:

on February 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Wooow lovely!

Chad Bromley says:

on February 21, 2014 at 2:00 am

Great lighting setup. Im always thinking before i go out on a shoot, what light should i take with me. Do i cram the softboxes in the car, take a reflector or just use whats there when i arrived. I mainly end up using flash but it slows down my work flow. You seem to have a great handle on light joe.

Laura says:

on February 22, 2014 at 7:03 am

Nice pictures really! Thank you for sharing. Lighting is phenomenal.

Melissa Donaldson says:

on February 24, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Joe you are so awesome!

Linda says:

on March 8, 2014 at 11:36 am

Gorgeous lighting. Beautiful shot.

Tom Freeland says:

on March 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Joe I love the info you share with us. Thank you. Do you ever hold work shops working with older film gear? I would love to attend one.

Best,