Manhattan, High and Low…

Oct 22

In Fun at 8:59am

Worked in Manhattan this past weekend, which was one of those amazing fall weather weekends in NY. Had a Nat Geo Expeditions class up at Top of the Rock, and also walking all over the city, which remains one of my favorite things to do with a camera in hand. Interesting, the mix of the city. You see the all the glitter lights from way up top, but, down on the street, it gets a tad more gritty.

I don’t know why Manhattan’s pigeons like this particular stoplight at 59th and 5th, but they are always there. It might be all the horses and carriages immediately below. (Horses are sloppy eaters, evidently, and leave a lot of feed on the street.) Or maybe they just know it’s a pricey address with a bunch of social cachet.

More tk….

11 Responses to “Manhattan, High and Low…”

Hayley says:

on October 22, 2012 at 9:09 am

Do you run your own workshops at Nat Geo? I had my first this weekend. A lot of fun.

sherried says:

on October 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks for a brief glimpse of my favorite city. Love the pigeons/stop light photo.

John says:

on October 22, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experiences with us in Manhattan. Your willingness to answer our questions and your informative critiques were outstanding – and appreciated. We all learned a great deal and enjoyed trying to capture the vibrancy and personality of NYC in our photos!

Ken says:

on October 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hello Joe or anyone,

Buying my first full frame (D600) looking for suggestions for a Nikkor portrait lens??

Any suggestions from readers or perhaps Joe (I know you have a busy life style) so I presuppose you will not have time to answer, but perhaps a reader will.

Big admirer of your work. I am buy my gear this time from Adorama, mainly at your mention of them in your past post.. So far they are super guys to work with

Ken

Jim says:

on October 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

That is one of the best traffic light photos I have ever seen.

Mario says:

on October 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Joe, thank you so much for sharing with us your time and expertise! This was for us an extraordinary weekend and an amazing workshop. I couldn’t have asked for more. I’m still here in Manhattan, going around with my cameras chasing the ligth and interesting stuff. Was also very great to give you a hand in the last class, thank you for that.

Hope to see you soon, maybe in Perú!
Mario

on October 23, 2012 at 6:42 am

Hi Ken…classic portrait length tends to begin around 85. They do have a new, affordable 85 f1.8 out that I have not used but have heard is good, and sharp. There’s also a good zoom–24-120, that is versatile and handy, but it is a variable f-stop zoom, and not particularly fast. The 24-70 f2.8 is a workhorse for me, but it’s not really a good classic portrait length. It’s perfect though, for horizontal environmental portraiture. Hope that helps a bit…joe

Ellen says:

on October 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’ve noticed that pigeons tend to like certain light poles or traffic lights. I bet there’s a low grade current running through that either keeps them warmer or gives them a little buzz.

Leif Eliasson says:

on October 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi Joe
Thanks for the Pictures and the stories, real good stuff.
Nice traffic light pic – red in all directions ;-)

Pascal Sauvé says:

on October 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Joe, I’m lovin’ this shot !

Florence says:

on November 8, 2012 at 7:11 am

This is quite a “romantic” shot indeed. How simple but it delivers such a mood !