Heading to Miami

Aug 17

In Tours at 6:30am

Haven’t been in Miami in a long time, so really looking forward to this Kelby Tour Stop. It’ll be this coming Monday at the Miami Beach Convention Center. One or two (maybe three) lights, all day long.

It’ll be even more fun for me, personally, because Annie will be there with me, along with the man himself, Jeff Snyder, from Adorama Camera. Just did something for Adorama TV, playing around with TTL transmission at a distance on the streets of Hong Kong.

Miami is just as exotic as Hong Kong, in its own way, and we fly tomorrow. Drew and Cali are already down there. They googled “hottest poolside scene in Miami Beach,” and came up with the Perry Hotel, below. Needless to say, I’m not staying there, which they’re very thankful for, fearing, methinks, that I’ll walk up to whatever group of young things they are chatting up wearing Bermuda shorts, black socks and my Jesus sandals. I would also of course have a floppy hat (for the sun) and a pair of flip down shades (handy!) and a D800 with my extra wide paisley strap around my neck. They would have to try to explain me away as a crazy uncle who’s “interested in photography.”

Hmmm….from the look of this place Annie and I better get down there to do some chaperoning, or perhaps refereeing, or by Monday I might have no assistants at all and I’ll be having to ask folks in the crowd to move light stands and such. Strange stuff can happen in Miami!

Have a great weekend everybody! More tk….

16 Responses to “Heading to Miami”

art meripol says:

on August 17, 2012 at 6:53 am

at least you’re being the ‘crazy uncle’. I’m now the ‘crazy granddad’. ouch!
Check out Wynwood Walls just north of downtown at NW 2nd ave and 25th….amazing street art scene. Great backdrops for shoots.

Bob DeChiara says:

on August 17, 2012 at 7:18 am

Have fun Joe and be safe! I will be in NYC on Sunday any recommendations for a good pizza place?

Giulio Sciorio says:

on August 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

Welcome to Miami Joe! If you want to see the real Miami we have some of the worlds best street art in Wynwood. Blocks and block of amazing graffiti and murals. Best of all no one bothers you when you shoot.

Wynwood is about 10 minutes from Sobe so if you have time check it out. Here’s a series I shot in Wynwood during Art Basel – http://giuliosciorio.com/#/client/template.xml?aaa=portfolio/57482

on August 17, 2012 at 8:18 am

COOL..many thanks…Joe

stephen metz says:

on August 17, 2012 at 8:45 am

refereeing or reefering?

Mike Lyons says:

on August 17, 2012 at 10:12 am

Joe, if you sent them down to Miami Beach with their pockets stuffed with cash, well, worry or get there quick to chaperon. If not or, payday is next week then you might be a-ok.
ML

Mark Catizone says:

on August 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Joe – I was at the Perry in May for my nephew’s bachelor party. Yes, we we chaperoning too (or maybe they were watching out for us). Either way, for us more mature gentlemen (ugh) it is worth going to that pool and bar on the roof just to see the sites- especially if there is a party going on. Enjoy!

Ana Adams says:

on August 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm

You did what? Sent the boys ahead and they are alone in Miami?
HAHAHA!
Yes, I am available for assisting in the Mia Beach Convention Center, just keep in mind =).
See you there!

Publius says:

on August 18, 2012 at 12:02 am

your link to Adorama TV is broken.
It is missing a colon in the http://

Commander mode is great when you have the line of sight, and you can keep the remote flash out of the frame. I tend to work on hiding the distant flash to keep the light nearer the subject, but hidden from view. Radio poppers (PW) seem like the only answer.

Here’s the great debate many of us have, that I’d love to see you demonstrate to prove to the world. The exposure for a flash is dependent on flash-to-subject distance, not flash-to-subject-to-camera. Some want to apply the distance square law to the subject-to-camera. They are so used on camera flashes (or small bracket). Can you demonstrate this? This video comes close to proving it, but you never mentioned how as the subject moved further and further, you never had to adjust the exposure.

Tate (aka the Jumper) says:

on August 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Joe, I want to thank you for a very informative seminar today. This was my first, of many, seminars from the Kelby group. I thank you all for your dedication to teaching and sharginyour wealth of knowledge that you have collected over the many years of struggles and effort in the field. I was able to take away from theism that even though the speed lights are relatively small in nature to a large studio strobe, you are not confined to simple methods. Thanks for a great day and wonderful teaching ability along with great laughs including when Drew “feathered” your umbrella! Thanks so much.

Is it possible to create a link to the shots from today, for a memory aid??

Leandro says:

on August 21, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Joe, great workshop. Had the chance to participate and learned 1000. Thanks

Vin says:

on August 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Ha Ha enjoyed this blog post!

Tom says:

on August 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

Hey, I had one of those extra wide paisley straps in the 70s. It was very comfortable ;-)

Scott says:

on August 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

“…wearing Bermuda shorts, black socks and my Jesus sandals…”

The imagery in that line should NEVER be put into a photograph!

:-)

Hannes Uys says:

on August 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Oh boy I wish I could have been there!

Jim says:

on September 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It is Sept 3, 2012 is this Blog no more?