First Weekend Home in a While…

Jun 23

In Uncategorized at 11:42am

Not doing much of anything, except downing a coffee, glancing at Annie in the sunshine, and listening to the Chieftains in the background. The music harked me back to all the times I’ve been to Ireland, and the truly gregarious, gracious, and wonderfully fierce place that it is. Back in the day, when Kodak bestrode the world of photography like a giant yellow colossus, we would be summoned to do do a book in a day. The “Day in the Life” series was  a grouping of books, about one a year, done on various countries, cultures and themes. Shooting for them was a bit of a lark, without too much pressure applied. The assignments were loose at best, and after a central gathering of the photo clan at in a major city of whatever poor country was about to be visited by 100 photojournalists (Haven’t those poor people suffered enough?) you were spun into the countryside, laden with Kodachrome.

Shot there, vacationed there, taught there, and asked Annie to marry me there. During that very nervous week leading up to the popping of the question, I managed to steady my hands long enough to make a picture of a horse in a field, close by an Irish wall. Always reminds me of quiet time on a weekend….more tk.

21 Responses to “First Weekend Home in a While…”

Wayne Leone says:

on June 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

ehh, taught here??? when the begorrah was that?

Rebekah says:

on June 23, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Glad you’re getting some rest and time with your sweetheart! Have friends in Ireland and hope one day to visit them.

Mike Nelson Pedde says:

on June 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

So put down the keyboard and go and join that lovely woman you married out in the sunshine!! The rest of the world can wait for a day…

Mike.

John A. says:

on June 23, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Enjoy the time off Joe! But also glad you took a moment to blog about it, great story too!

ChasVS says:

on June 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I think you got the better of the deal Joe.

Libby says:

on June 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Joe you need to tell us the WHOLE story. I’ll bet it’s funny and sweet, and that your shirt was sweatstained the whole week ;-)

tricone bits says:

on June 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm

rock bits says:

on June 23, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Kyle Jerichow says:

on June 24, 2012 at 2:15 am

Ierland is just a magical place, right? I cannot wait to return and have a pint…its been two years….it been too long.

I hope you are enjoying your time off!

All the best,
Kyle

Ciaran De Bhal says:

on June 24, 2012 at 2:50 am

Glad Ireland has good memories for you. Next time you’re here drop me an email, I’ll buy you dinner. Enjoy the R n R in the meantime.
Ciaran

Bob says:

on June 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

Kodachrome made many fine memories. Thank you for sharing this one.

Tyler Vance says:

on June 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

Was that the week we were at the mentor workshop with Frank McCort?

Boy, you sure seemed calm, we had no clue!

tyler

Mark Carruthers says:

on June 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Joe… Always admired your work and more recently your commentary. However, you just moved up a notch by mentioning listening to the Chieftains! Cheers… Mark

on June 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

It was! Boy was I nervous….and Frank and Ellen ended up coming to our wedding, which was wonderful…best, Joe

Robert says:

on June 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head with “truly gregarious, gracious, and wonderfully fierce place”, but Mike hit the nail on the head with his comment. Hopefully you took his advice!

Rick Hines says:

on June 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

As my wife and I were getting married in Waterford, Irleand….The photographer stated, “How can you take a back picture here”. I couldn’t agree more….a beautiful country!

Leigh says:

on June 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I own the entire “In A Day” series and think they are great. Congrats to you for participating in a brilliant book series, one of the best ever.

Randy Ralston says:

on June 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

Heh, Ciaran and I will split the cost of dinner and pints with you. I’m in the Garden of Ireland (County Wicklow mountains, just south of Dublin). Do please come back for a visit and maybe to teach!

– Randy

on June 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You guys are on!!!!

Richard says:

on July 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hi Joe, would be great if you came back to visit us here in Ireland and do one of your workshops whilst here! I know the demand would be very high! I’ll volunteer on the planning!

Richard
Cavan, Ireland

Ed Nolan says:

on August 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Had a good laugh reading your post. My cousin, Tom Lawlor, coordinated this Irish “Day in the Life” shoot and appeared on numerous American TV talk shows promoting the book. Like yourself a great talent.

Until I retired from teaching photo, your blog was required reading for my photo students. Keep the posts coming!

Ed in Connecticut