vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

Back to the Blog Tomorrow…

Jun 18

In In The Field at 9:56am

Been off blog duty a bit lately, given travel and assignments. Finishing up here in the Pacific Northwest today, where I have continued my career long exploration of why expensive electronics and large bodies of water don’t mix well. Did a bit of street shooting in NYC over the last week, experimenting with the D800/D800E. Interesting learning curve. My muscle memory is so wrapped around D1, D2, D3, D4 that the differences in this camera, ergonomically, are small but significant.

Shot really my first official job with the camera yesterday, standing in an icy river all day, pushing and pulling around ladders, tripods, and a hi roller stand with a 74″ Octa with a Ranger flash in it. Yikes. Glad I didn’t drop anything. But, the client specifically wanted the hi res of the new 800 camera, so that’s what we went with, naturally. Life as a shooter remains interesting.  Always new stuff to learn.

More tk….

7 Responses to “Back to the Blog Tomorrow…”

Bill Bogle Jr. says:

on June 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

Interested to hear your reaction to the D800. Paid for mine in February, still waiting for it to arrive. UGH. But I did rent on in May to go to MOAB, and it was incredible. The file sizes are a bit daunting, but the detail is amazing. Having used a D2X recently, this was a change both in size and location of features, which did take a bit of time to adjust, but it worked well. I can’t wait (actually, I have proven that I can wait, but really do not want to). Wish I was NPS!

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Greg Howard says:

on June 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I was the guy on the bike with orange antlers riding by going JOE MCNALLEY Wooooooooooo! We had just finished riding from Vancouver Canada to Seattle to raise money for cancer care and research (mostly in the driving rain) when I was like: hmmm, lots of c-stand, tents… that’s f*#king Joe McNally in chest waders (very becoming I might add)! Sorry that was the best I could come up with something better to say but I was a little gob-smacked breathing the same air as you, that and being Canadian I didn’t want to interrupt.

I just wanted to say it got me thinking about how much I admire your story telling, humility and a bunch of other traits that make up really good people. I have a very small list of people I’d like to have a beer with before I die and you’re on it.

Take care, Greg

on June 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Many thanks Greg…your shout out on the bike trail was a fun moment in a crazy day, trying to shoot with big lights in that river. all the best, and the beers are on me…Joe

Greg Howard says:

on June 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Man, I just read my post. How much beer do I need to have you guys add an edit button!
Thanks Joe, that was a really neat moment in an already amazing day.

Greg

Kristian Dowling says:

on June 19, 2012 at 2:15 am

Sounds good Joe. Been playing around with my new D800E and am amazed at how closely it matches the D4 in low light up to ISO 6400, and with 36MP too. Would love to see some pics of this shoot you’re talking about when the embargo is off- sounds interesting.

bronney says:

on June 19, 2012 at 5:08 am

Greg,

pics of it didn’t happen!!! tell me you got pics!! :D

bron

Joseph Nienstedt says:

on June 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I too am in the patiently waiting for my 800 club, but I rented one for a recent wedding, and I hear ya about the ergonomics – It really felt foreign to me and in hindsight I shouldn’t have rented it for a paying gig as I was a little put off by the changes. I did the job just fine, but I was mentally exhausted and razzled when it was done!