In Transit….and Many Thanks…

Apr 30

In Fun, Thanks at 7:33am

Flew home yesterday from Dusseldorf. 18 hours here, and then another plane (hope it’s really big and has lots of engines cuz it’s going over lots of water) to Sydney, and magical land of Aus. I had a blast down there during the Olympics and this is a return visit I’ve been looking forward to for a long time. Here’s a tour link for our itinerary down there.

But, before anything, I just have to thank the incredibly wonderful folks who came to Essen for this past weekend’s Nikon Solutions. The whole Nikon team did amazing stuff, but I really have to single out Yasuo Baba, of Nikon Germany. Where he gets the energy to do so much of the creative and logistical planning a huge event like this requires, I’ll never know.

Mostly, though, I have to thank the folks who came out to the expo. They were amazing and gracious, and made Annie and me feel so much at home. Throw in great beer, good coffee and lots of laughs, not to mention an elephant, Marco the amazing body builder, a ballerina, and a couple of wonderful models from the Czech Republic, and well, you’ve got a fun weekend, that’s for sure. Once again it was my honor to teach with all the shooters there, and of course my long time bud, sports shooting legend Bill Frakes. He had basketball players, rhythmic gymnasts, heavy weight lifters, you name it.

When you’re shooting live and stumbling around, essentially doing a location shoot in front of 400 plus people, you really feed off the participation and energy of the folks in the crowd. Once again, thanks to all who hung in there during some fun shoots…..all best, and Annie and I already can’t wait to return!

More tk….

22 Responses to “In Transit….and Many Thanks…”

Andre says:

on April 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

Thanks, for being in Essen and holding your workshop.

Bjoern says:

on April 30, 2012 at 8:06 am

Have to correct you on that one. You said “I just have to thank the incredibly wonderful folks who came to Dusseldorf for this past weekend’s Nikon Solutions”. The Expo was in Essen not in Düsseldorf. A minor error of about 60 kilometers.
Unfortunately I couldn’t attend because I “had” to cover the confirmation of my little sister.
I would have given my left arm to attend but in reality if I had told my mother “Sorry I’m on the Nikon Expo and can’t take the pictures of my little sisters confirmation” I would have given more than that (my head).

Dennis says:

on April 30, 2012 at 8:06 am

Hi Annie & Joe!

I’ve been there. And after beeing 2009 your VAL ;-) on stage, this year I’ve seen four (!) of your workshops and shows. It was really helpful that you’ve nailed down some points for me and maybe one or another idea I will “borrow” from you. ;-)

All best! CU sometime or somewhere! ;-)

Greetings from Germany!

Dennis

ChasVS says:

on April 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

Joe, Please come back to Tampa soon! Loved your last event and really enjoyed your enthusiasm and expertise!

Laurence Schiffman says:

on April 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

You’re not going to like this, Joe, but some of us cringe when an incorrect pronoun is used. It’s “Annie and ME” not “made Annie and I feel so much at home”. Write the correct phrase 100 times and go sit in the corner ;-)

on April 30, 2012 at 10:23 am

Aargh! The nuns are spinning in their graves! Thanks man…will make the change…Joe

on April 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

You be right…geez, I should never dash off a blog with jet lag:-) I was thinking I was flying out of Dusseldorf, and then it translated into Solutions being there. Sigh…made the correct and thanks for noting. And your little sister def. comes first. I’m sure you rocked the pictures, and she’ll have them for a lifetime….best, Joe

Steven Janes says:

on April 30, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hi Joe, it was really great to see you there in Essen. You put so much passion into what you say that I came away inspired to go out there and try to get some good shots.

By the way, thanks to Annie for forwarding on the pics you took of me (and others) on the stage with Marco the body builder!

Odo says:

on April 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

The most remarkable things on saturday morning were:

How gentle and polite you are working together with your collegues around.
And how cool and relaxed you reacted on the fading timeframe.

That impressed me more than the technical stuff!

William Chinn says:

on April 30, 2012 at 11:05 am

Any travel tips traveling with a lot of gear? What do you (both) carry on board? Local pics?

Gordon Gurray says:

on April 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Joe (or shall I say Mr. McNally respectfully?)

I can’t tell you how thankfully I am, that you were attending you’re workshops on the Nikon Solution in Essen. I saw 5 of those 6 lessons you did, and every bit was awesome as well as most informative and interesting, and at least funny!!!

You are one hell of a good speaker, with all those little jokes and I must say you are a very charismatic person who “don’t let the star-photographer hang out”. Thank you for all this and it was a pleasure to attend to your workshops.

I hope that I will ever have that chance again.

Mario Liedtke says:

on April 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Hi Joe, my girl and me loved your show!
It was inspiring to see you live, espacially as you are a really nice guy. Thanks for signing my copy of your book and the photo, both is for me like an little accolade. Also we have been deeply impressed on how funny, calm and serene you handled that little technical and situative issues that happened. i.e. WT5 Disconnects due to wifi rushhour or loud sound from the neighboorhood stages.

You also scored by your honesty (People asked, ‘Hey Joe, wouldn’t it be better to use studio flashlights for the elephant shootin?’ – Joe: ‘yes, maybe, but Nikon invited me to talk about SB9xx flashlights, so here we go!’), that made you truly totally believable one more time!

As you all might notice, I am still totally exalted. Many big big thanks also to NIKON that you pulled Joe to germany and espacially to a city near enough to me, that I could benefit from it. That made a dream come true to me.

Best wishes from us, don’t change a thing, stay as you are!

Yours, Mario & Becky!

GlenF says:

on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 am

Whooo Hooo, come on down to to Oz!

Uwe says:

on May 1, 2012 at 6:38 am

Thank you very much for being at Nikon Solution and holding your inspirational lectures.

Byron Roe says:

on May 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Have a great time in Australia Joe! Great seeing you at WPPI this year!!

Cheers,
Byron

Joachim Jansen says:

on May 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hi Mr. Joe McNally,
thanks a lot for the big presentations, lectures, speeches life shootings or whatever it was you performed during Nikon Solution Days in Essen. So much knowledge, experience, humor and authenticity on the stage – utmost impressive! I also dealt a lot with strobes and flashlights in the last 40 years and tried to understand what Harold Edgerton started to work out. The ease you are handling your equipment and the way you predicted the results was much beyond I had seen or red before. Thanks a lot again for 4 big “gigs” I had the pleasure to participate in – mostly sitting in the first row without having been pulled on stage – e.g. to support Marco the body builder …
Best wishes – and take care
Joachim

Anne Miersch says:

on May 2, 2012 at 1:56 am

Hey Joe,

thank you so much for these incredible workshops on saturday. Not that I just picked up so much small tricks…I need gaffer tape ;) we had some good laughs, you are an awesome story teller!

Take care

Anne & Mario

Claudia says:

on May 2, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks a million for the wonderful and most entertaining workshops during the Nikon Solutions. You are not only a great source of knowledge and experience, but your passion about photography really seems highly contagious ;-) Thanks for sharing your inspiration – I will now go out and “feed my eyes” –

Wishing you and Annie a save trip and enjoy Australia !

Claudia

Ralf says:

on May 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hi Mr. McNally,

thank you so much for your presentations at the Nikon Solutions Expo in Essen. It was a pleasure to listen to you and an extraordinary experience to meet you.
Maybe you found the picture of Marco and his four “bodyguards” (I was one of them). You would make me very happy, if you would sent this unique memory to me.
I wish you, your wife and your crew all the very best.

Your “security detail”,

Ralf

Steve Janes says:

on May 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

@RALPH: if you were on stage on the Saturday doing the ‘Marco’ shoot, then I guess we are in the same picture. Annie very kindly forwarded them on, so if you don’t have them yet, send me a mail and I will pass them on to you: steven.janes@adidas-group.com

Ralf says:

on May 14, 2012 at 6:21 am

@Steve,
thanks for your offer. But I was there on Friday.

Greetings, Ralf.