vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

Moving On, Down the Highway

Nov 3

In Friends at 8:49am

Leaving Moab, Utah. I’m heading home, and Moose is heading for the wild blue yonder, somewhere over Texas. With him goes the Digital Landscape Workshop Series, one of the most durable, inspirational, educational efforts in the world of photography. Moving on.

Like a favorite TV series that comes to wistful but logical ending, DLWS has staged its’ last episode. Moose, redoubtable shooter that he is, has been re-inventing himself for a while now, and sees a future up there in the skies, with the fly boys, and perhaps not as much with the bears and the birds. Not that he’s utterly leaving landscape and wildlife behind, he’s just, as all good shooters do, migrating a bit, following his eye and his heart, and seeing how his formidable skills translate aloft. He’s not really abandoning his vast legacy as a natural history shooter, he’s just adding another chapter in the adventure book.

Me, I’m heading back to concrete. It’s been a wonderful ride, being on the faculty of DLWS. I visited parks and places (and yes, rocks and stumps) that I would not have encountered otherwise. You see, no magazine editor in their right mind would think of me first to go do a story on Yosemite Park, or the great lighthouses of East Coast. (Unless they made the assignment in the afternoon, and they had belted a few at lunch. That’s been know to happen in the world of journalism.)

I always had a bit of a cheeky attitude towards wandering around a park, teasing Moose that “I never met a landscape I couldn’t make better by putting a person in front of it.” But, truth be told, it’s been a thrilling ride throughout the natural wonders of this country. I’ve actually made some good landscape photos, mostly because I occasionally had the good sense to stand next to Moose’s tripod, and peer at his settings over his shoulder.

So, now, at the conclusion of the last of these workshops, I did in fact put a person in front of a landscape. My good friend Moose, out there on the highway. A portrait that’s a bit of both worlds–standing on a seemingly endless, battered ribbon of tarmac, bounded by sage, scrub, mountains and sky. For the technically minded, this is two SB900 flash units, a white interior 24″ Ezybox, and a little skip fill off a tri-grip on the road. Good light, which is something Moose knows quite a bit about.

Be well, and shoot straight, my friend. Continue to enjoy this wander with a camera in your hands, even now, as it leads you into the clouds. More tk…

31 Responses to “Moving On, Down the Highway”

Jason says:

on November 3, 2011 at 8:57 am

Rather sad to hear it’s ended – wanted to get the coin together to attend some day, but, as the old saying goes “All good things…” just expired before I had a chance. Oh well…

Dawn says:

on November 3, 2011 at 9:01 am

I. adored. this. post. Feeling the wanderlust and change of tides as well in the world as a pro photographer. Very poignant as always with a dash of laughter for good measure. I’m looking forward to seeing what Moose has in store for us admirers of his work.
xo,
Dawn

Randy Cole says:

on November 3, 2011 at 9:37 am

I was only fortunate enough to attend 1 DLWS but it was a highlight of my photographic journey. I had looked forward to a repeat opportunity but alas, the stars never aligned allowing me to do that again.

Many thanks to Moose, Joe, Laurie, Kevin, Sharon, and the whole DLWS gang.

Marshall says:

on November 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

Aw shucks. After missing out last year (the whole year must have sold out faster than a U2 concert), I was … well, it don’t matter now. Will have to find some other way to learn to take a half-decent picture.

In the meantime, nice shot of Moose. We’ll look forward to your next coffee table book of landscapes hidden behind people.

Marci says:

on November 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

Moose has made me look at landscape photography in a completely different way. I was not a fan of nature photography without a person in front of it, but Moose makes mountains majestic, trees mysterious and skies endless. As much as I enjoy and admire his landscapes, I’ve REALLY found his photos of airplanes amazing and can’t wait to see where it takes him, both photographically and in his life…

Thanks, Joe :)

David says:

on November 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

It has been a real ‘kick’ attending DLWS over the past few years. Looking forward to see what you and Moose pull out of your bag.

Kristina J says:

on November 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

I was only able to attend one DLWS, this past year. It was such a great opportunity to be able to hang out with some amazing talent and learn a ton.

Thanks for this post, Joe.

Fausto says:

on November 3, 2011 at 10:29 am

2011 Moab was, as always, and eye opening experience. When you’re surrounded by that kind of talent, you’re photography can help but improve. My neverending thanks Moose and Sharon, and of course the entire staff at DLWS. My thanks to you Joe for helping me get that flash back out of the box and convincing me to place it somewhere other than the hotshoe, I’m getting a funny desire to put people in front of my landscapes.

Richard Haber says:

on November 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’m glad that I had the opportunity to learn from both you and Moose at a couple of these amazing workshops. I am constantly reminded of how instrumental you have all been every time a picture I create doesn’t suck.

Although sorry to see the workshops end, I look forward to being inspired by you, Moose, and the others from the DLWS team for a long time to come.

Bob says:

on November 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm

great post and photograph…change is good. Go with it.

Frank says:

on November 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Joe, I met you and Moose in Oregon a few years ago. I was inspired. I had hoped to get to another DLWS someday. I guess not.

Jim child says:

on November 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I was fortunate to attend three DLWS EVENTS. Joe your presence and uncanny ability to bring smiles made the adventures unforgettable. I will never forget the things that you taught me…beyond the pics. A passion for the scene and the light therein!

Keith I says:

on November 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

Geat shot as usual, even if Moose is in it. I had a great time on the DLWS New Hapshire run last year and got a lot out of it. I am sad to see there will not be a chance for me to do it again in the near future, but I understand.

Next thing you know he’ll be shooting TTL…

Keith I says:

on November 4, 2011 at 7:29 am

PS I was the lone Sony shooter in NH!

on November 4, 2011 at 8:08 am

thanks Richard…and thanks to all who have said all the kind words about DLWS. it was fun, and we always had a great group, out there in the woods!

Bill Griffin says:

on November 4, 2011 at 8:10 am

Good to be in positions where you both can financially manage the changes.

Skip Barber says:

on November 4, 2011 at 8:12 am

I had the pleasure of attending two DLWS sessions and learned a lot! I was planning on attending more, but as has been said, “all good things must come to an end”. I know our paths will cross again. Thank you Joe, and Moose, and Laurie, and Kevin, and Sharon, and Drew.

Nikki says:

on November 4, 2011 at 9:21 am

I was also very lucky to attend 2 of the DLWS events (in Bozeman ’08 and then Santa Rosa this year). It was pretty intimidating to be around such incredible talent, photographers that I’ve admired for so long. Very inspiring though, thank you!

Norm Cooper says:

on November 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm

no parting shot of Laurie’s hair?!?!

fair skies mooose!

Wes Maggio says:

on November 4, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Beautiful photo and post Joe. Glad that I could be there for the conclusion of one era, and the ushering in of a new. It was great to see and work with you and Drew again. See you on the road. Cheers!

Jan Timmons says:

on November 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh no! Before I had the chance to travel from Alaska to see you two?
And “sees a future up there in the skies”? “even now, as it leads you into the clouds”? Is Moose sick? Shuffling off these mortal coils? Say it isn’t so.
And someday travel to Alaska. We need your skill (and light—dark in the winter here).
Cheers from another fan.

Jim White says:

on November 5, 2011 at 12:00 am

I’m sad to read that the DLWS is going away. As was previously said, that’s a great shot Joe, even if Moose is in it. “You” are the guy that has alway provided me with the inspiration to keep getting out there to shoot. I’ve followed Moose’s work for quite some time as well. Hope he finds some great shots up there in the sky :)

I found it very difficult to continue with my trip from Albuquerque to the Pacific Northwest after approaching Moab. I stopped every mile or so to take a shot. Simply breathtaking scenery!

James Bruce says:

on November 5, 2011 at 2:08 am

Moose is one of a kind. Got to do the DLWS with him in Lake Placid. This shot is so perfect. Great Capture!

Jay Mann says:

on November 5, 2011 at 6:56 am

I was at your first DLWS in Tahoe, 2005. Moose, you, Vincent Versace, Laurie was Moose’ assistant, Annie was there for Nikon support and some guy name Kelby was a fellow participant. I remember the group having a lot of fun threatening to use the New yorker for bear bait.

It as a major milestone in my photographic journey.

f/8nate says:

on November 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

just read Mooses’ blog and saw his shot- yours is much more heroic and MadMax (MadMoose) feeling- freekin awesome!

Dan P says:

on November 5, 2011 at 10:50 am

I feel very blessed. The last one was my first one! What an amazing experience with some amazing people! Joe, I’ve learned a lot from following you around the world via this blog. Keep up the great work. Thanks for the help with TTL, and thanks for letting me get a shot of you and Moose and Kevin.

Eric Politzer says:

on November 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

congratulations to Moose, Sharon, Joe, Laurie, Kevin, Drew, and the whole DLWS gang on an amazing run through the great landscapes of these United States. I had the great pleasure to attend Kauai and Bozeman — and those workshops were greatly responsible for me becoming a photography workshop junky! it was always a fun time, and I learned so much. I also became aware of how much I did not know, so the workshops were very motivating in that regard as well. thanks to everyone at DLWS for sharing your lives in photography, your passion, your expertise, and your generosity as teachers!

DaveB says:

on November 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

Like others it was my missed opportunity…but hopefully one day I can catch a reunion tour…

… and that can’t be the real Moose… he is wearing his camera backwards… the way I used to before he taught us the right way…

JerseyStyle Photography says:

on November 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Whoa! Can anyone point to the last B&W photo Joe posted? ~Mark

Fotograf Lublin says:

on November 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Thank’s for this post. Beautiful light on photography

Scott Fritz says:

on November 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

It is a shame to see DLWS end, I was hoping to attend in the future. DLWS was something special thanks to the great talent that was collected together to inspire and help the students. Hopefully at some time in the future that talent can come together for another educational project. Best of luck to all of those involved.