vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

China Update

Sep 19

In In The Field, Rambling at 6:28pm

Have, as always, received a warm and gracious welcome from everyone I’ve met here in Beijing. The organizers of this project have put together a wonderful week for the photogs. In the field,  ups and downs, as always. Yesterday I climbed many, many hundreds of steps to get to this Buddha, carved into a hillside outside of Beijing. Having been shut down at other temples on the grounds, I was prepared to climb all that way and not get a frame. I tried to forestall that programming my D3S into “turbo” mode (a little known firmware adaptation….Joe make joke….)  got my EV set, and knelt down. I had 20 frames off before anybody could say, “Hey numnuts tourist!” But the lady in charge of this temple was disinterested, and went back to her comic book. So, it was just me and the big guy, and I kept shooting.

Long day in the field. There was a PR lady with us, who I guess was pretty effective, ’cause we didn’t have to pay to get into the temple park, but man, she wouldn’t shut up. Chinese is a beautifully expressive language, but when someone is that vehement, in close proximity burst mode, all day, their vocal cords thrumming like the engine on a Formula One car, man it gets tiring. It was like having my camera to my eye and a woodpecker attached to my temple.

But the big guy was kindly and patient with me, there in all his goldness. He was also, blessedly, silent. I thanked him for his serenity, and permission to shoot. More tk….

23 Responses to “China Update”

Jose Rosa says:

on September 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Great story. You just have a way with words. Enjoy your trip.

Jose

kyle jerichow says:

on September 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What actually brought you to China an assignment or something that you just wanted to shoot?

Any plans on going anywhere else in Asia before you head back home?

Safe (and peaceful) travels, Joe.

All the best,
Kyle

Ken Toney says:

on September 19, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Joe, I had a feeling you were abroad, haven’t seen you on twitter! My wife always says she’s glad I don’t speak Chineese 8-)

Kurt Wall says:

on September 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Interesting. The two times I visited Shanghai, no one objected to me photographing Buddhas, temples, dragons, fountains. I was wise and eschewed photographing government office buildings and military installations, however.

Bob says:

on September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

love the line “it was like having my camera to me eye and a woodpecker attached to my temple”…priceless…looking forward to more posts.

Jen Tsung says:

on September 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Ah, I see you’ve met my mother-in-law. Nice shot, and don’t worry, your ears will stop bleeding in a week or two. :-)

on September 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

ooh, jen, I’m sorry…. funny though…..:-)

petetsai says:

on September 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm

is this golden buddha destined for a golden frame?

Peter Anderson says:

on September 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Mr McNally, Sounds like you climbed half way to the moon to get a look at this statue. It looks as though he’s on a good wicket though, as we say in Australia, given he’s still well fed at the top of the mountain. I hope he had an ice cold one waiting for you.
Peter

Evan says:

on September 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Hey Joe, welcome to China! I’m your BIG fans in China! Are you coming to Shanghai?!!! I live in shanghi.

evan

Juliet Zhu says:

on September 19, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I wish I could be there to help, certainly won’t talk too much though…Hope you enjoyed the rest of the trip to Beijing! It’s a nice time to visit, not too hot at least…

Daniel says:

on September 20, 2011 at 12:25 am

Welcome to Beijing! The best season to be here right now with a distinct lack of smog and right now the weather is fantastic. Doing ‘your own thing’ here or are you doing any seminar/training here? If you are, would love to have the opportunity to join. The events in the US are a little too far for me to travel.

/Daniel

Frank says:

on September 20, 2011 at 12:42 am

I know exactly what you are talking about… :D

Best wishes
Frank

Nasir Hamid says:

on September 20, 2011 at 1:59 am

Is it me or does this crop draw attention to those nipples? :-P

Tyler Vance says:

on September 20, 2011 at 8:19 am

Be sure to have the #4 before you leave China……

tv

Skip Dickstein says:

on September 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hey Joe, was Corrado on the trip with you? The image has a vague resemblance.
Be Safe,
Skip

lauren niu says:

on September 20, 2011 at 9:20 am

hi joe,welcome to beijing,hope you can enjoy the trip.this time really is the best time in beijing.i am a fan of you.may i know will you have a class this time?really want to see u,but no idea how…

William Chinn says:

on September 20, 2011 at 10:46 am

The Buddha smiled upon you for your efforts and your desire for silence. Sometimes the help believe they have to “earn” their wages. Can we get more pics and stories?

By the way, you should feel sorry for Jen’s father-in-law.

Michael P. says:

on September 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Joe, What is the event in China that has attracted photographers? Could you tell us about it?
Thanks.

Andrew Keane says:

on September 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Nice post, I love the images in China having gone there a few years before I learnt about photography. I’d love to go back and reshoot my trip know. Worst thing I found was the ‘mist’ that blocked your view all the time. (The guides called it mist, I called it pollution and smog)

Ken Ho says:

on September 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Great lighting of the peaks of Mr. Serenity’s mammary glands.
Ken

on September 20, 2011 at 8:22 pm

uh, natural light!

Lutz says:

on September 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Welcome in China Joe. I see you got already first impressions about the Chinese culture ;-)
Anyway, if you are still planning to visit Shanghai then please drop me a message. Our local Flickr group would love to meet you in person.
Enjoy China!!!