Uh, Hang in There, Guys!

Aug 23

In News at 6:34am

This just in: Bethany College players suspended over nude team photograph.

Seems the guys on a college golf team got themselves into the rough over the last couple of days by shooting a naked team photo. The gang lined up on a hillside and made what has evidently been deemed a provocative picture, wearing only their irons and woods.

Quoting from news reports: “It was only intended as a bit of fun with the lads,” said senior team member Jack Hiscock who is from England. “We all have our shirts off, our shorts to ankles and we are holding golf clubs in front covering up our um, male parts,” said Mr. Hiscock.

According to reports filed, the coach’s reaction was dismay. “My stomach dropped and I thought this can’t be good,” said Bethany College Head Golf Coach and Athletic Director Jon Daniels.

Even though no athletic department regulations were violated, the lads have been suspended for three tournaments, which they feel, understandably, is a bit over the top. “The whole team is frustrated. We think the punishment is a bit harsh–not fair,” Hiscock said.

The golfers claim to have found pictorial inspiration in a photo done some time ago of the UCLA men’s golf team.

Uh, sorry guys.

I shot this for Golf Digest during the course of doing a story about the physique’s of young golfers. Inspired at the time by the powerful physicality of golfers like Tiger Woods, the sport was in the process of shedding its’ time honored image of portly duffers tootling around the links on golf carts, knocking back golf shots and beers in equal measure. The “new athletes of golf” as the story was slugged, spend as much time in the gym as they do on the course. They are finely tuned athletes in every regard, as is evidenced below, by another shot I did of the UCLA varsity.

All I can say is that I’m rooting for the guys in the midst of this heartland tempest. There’s all sorts of calendars out there, for instance, raising money for good causes, in which everybody from athletes to octogenarians doff their duds for a lark and a charity. As Bethany team member Norrie Steyn was quoted in the news, “It’s just a fun thing, we all had had a great time doing it.”

The Golf Digest story was certainly fun to do. For instance, I shot this of the formidable Scottish golfer Wallace Booth, bare chested, in a kilt, swinging a club. Not the way he usually attacks a course, but a cool shot nonetheless, and seeing his arms and torso certainly convey the sense that he can drive the ball a fair distance.

Take heart, guys. You may yet be vindicated, or at least remembered. I shot this of the 1996 U.S. men’s Olympic water polo team, and it has since gone on to become one of the better known water polo pictures ever shot. Go figure.

More tk….

27 Responses to “Uh, Hang in There, Guys!”

Ed says:

on August 23, 2011 at 6:46 am

You have to have balls to take photos like this! Hence the nick name “Numnuts!”

John says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:20 am

Yep, ballsy shots!

Richard Stokes says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:32 am

JACK HISCOCK???!!! I didn’t believe this was a real name until I saw it on the official team roster website.

Bill Bogle Jr. says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:41 am

I wasn’t in that kind of shape when I was on the golf team in college. Good thing it wasn’t an idea for the senior tour, or Tim “Lumpy” Herron. You would get more than you bargained for with that!.

When they ask golfers about dimples they think of their Titliests.

Joe, you inspire us all!.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Michael Montalto says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:42 am

I always find stories like these to be rather interesting. Who knows what the boys or school were thinking. Situations like this tend to be thought provoking and inspiring at the same time. I hope everyone involved comes out better for the entire experience. Thanks for sharing! -mM

PS: I’ve always loved your water polo shot as well Mr. McNally

Andor says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:46 am

@Ed: :-) )) perfect explanation about where the nickname comes :-D

Rich Cave says:

on August 23, 2011 at 8:02 am

Ed that was funny,

the college are demonstrating lack of tact, humility and business acumen.

nuff said,

Joe thanks for asking if I am available for the swedish female volleyball team nude shoot, checked diary and at a push I can do it.

Cheers Rich

pete collins says:

on August 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

Did you really title it…”Hang in there!” Awesome! You certainly have a UNIque perspective. :D

Debra says:

on August 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

Thanks Joe, this post made my week. (for the amazing ligting examples of course)

Remi says:

on August 23, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hahahah! “Jack Hiscock”! ;)

david says:

on August 23, 2011 at 9:18 am

Way to lead by example, Joe. Influencing our youth in such ways! Forget music and violent video games, Joe McNally needs to be brought in front of Congress!

Or, you know, folks can chill out and have a good laugh.

Whichever.

JoeS says:

on August 23, 2011 at 9:44 am

Didn’t you mean to say “hang out there guys”

Tom says:

on August 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hiscock? Wood?

The possibilities for double Entendre are limitless!! :o )

Bob says:

on August 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

it is laughter that separates us from the irrational…thanks Joe for the great laugh

Bob Watts says:

on August 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Terrific Joe!

Simon says:

on August 24, 2011 at 2:51 am

Very interesting… if you look close enough you can see a hole in one (or two)

Thanks for the laughs Joe.

Carl Hensley says:

on August 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I live about 15 miles north of Bethany and must say the stoic Swedes need to lighten up a bit. Give the team a Mulligan on this one. :)

Jim Richardson says:

on August 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Joe, you did know this came from my town, didn’t you? Not my picture, just where we live in Kansas. At least the guys were lifting the idea from a good source.

Jim

Norm Cooper says:

on August 26, 2011 at 12:38 am

Just tell MDWelch and Syl to keep their shirts on when you’re around please…

on August 26, 2011 at 5:57 am

Great job out there! Who knew Lindsborg could generate breaking news? Hope you’re well, Jim….

Jose says:

on August 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Quoting from DenverNewsChannel.com quoting the golf coach:

“These young men made a mistake, but we’re here to help teach our students more than just academics,” said golf coach Jon Daniels. “By helping them understand the consequences of this decision, we can help them make better decisions in the future.”

What was the mistake? They didn’t invite Joe to handle the photography. Gee whiz, at the very least, Joe would made sure their pants were out of the frame. Duh!

matt haines says:

on August 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Joe, you really seem to have a knack for talking men out of their clothing.

Suzie Finello says:

on October 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I wanted to construct a remark in order to say thanks to you for these precious suggestions you are giving on this website. My incredibly long internet look up has at the end of the day been honored with reputable details to share with my company. I ‘d say that most of us site visitors actually are quite fortunate to live in a fantastic place with so many outstanding professionals with helpful tips. I feel quite grateful to have discovered the web pages and look forward to many more brilliant times reading here. Thank you once more for everything.

Fotograf Håkan Ivarsson Göteborg says:

on December 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Great job, to make them doing it.
//Håkan