Ten Years On….

Aug 2

In Memories, News at 4:51am

As we approach, somewhat unbelievably, the 10th Anniversary of 911, I’ll be posting some of the work my studio has done over the years relating to that fateful day. Just postcards and notes, really, from that time of dust and destruction, to now, a time of healing and resurgence. All these updated photos, complementing the Giant Polaroids of Sept/Oct 2001,  have been a project that has taken most of our time this year. They will be on display at the Time Warner Center in NYC, starting August 24th, and running through September 12th.

From the book, Faces of Ground Zero: 2001

Father Brian Jordan, Church of St. Francis of Assisi, midtown Manhattan

In the days and weeks after the attacks, Father Jordan, who succeeded his fallen friend, Father Mychal Judge, as FDNY Chaplain, ministered to workers at Ground Zero. In a special ceremony, he rode a crane bucket up to where welders had mounted the cross-shaped girder from Tower 1, then blessed the impromptu monument. “We have seen evil at its worst, but goodness at its best. I worked to provide hope and healing–to give comfort to the living and bless the dead.”

Ten year later, Father Jordan, still a champion of the labor unions, immigrant workers, and the working people of New York City, remains busy. Almost too busy for this photo. I trailed him onto the subway, where, predictably, he was still in his trademark sneakers, moving fast, helping people.

More tk….

20 Responses to “Ten Years On….”

kyle jerichow says:

on August 2, 2011 at 5:27 am

You have been very blessed to meet such amazing people….

And you took a sharp picture on the subway…he must have blessed your camera.

Kyle

Andor says:

on August 2, 2011 at 5:54 am

Its just an excellent way of portraying the always-busy-for-people father!

Jan Winther says:

on August 2, 2011 at 6:54 am

What great post today. That image is so interesting to look at on so many levels.

Of course the shoes doesn’t make it worse :)

Bob says:

on August 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

thanks for sharing “goodness at its best”

David Kenny says:

on August 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

Speaking of Postcards, have you visited, and if so, can you share what you thought, shot, etc. of the Staten Island ‘Postcard’ memorial? Thx.

Karen Johnson says:

on August 2, 2011 at 9:21 am

Subway picture is awesome! Hard to do on the less then smooth riding NYC subways.

Dave Krumas says:

on August 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

you never stop, it’s bizarre, how DO you do it? i mean — shoot shoot shoot travel travel travel blog blog blog — bizarre and inspiring, i men –

when you have a minute: ” I shot other stuff in the last week as well, and I’ll share that in a Light Shapers Part II and III coming up.”

we’re an insatiable animal, your audience, and have little patience. not really. we are patient. to an extent.

Steve Wylie says:

on August 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

Some things we do are more important than others. This is one of those things.

Brian Struble says:

on August 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Joe:

Thanks for your continued commitment to documenting such an enormous event. Your work has always brought me a deeper understanding and respect for all of those affected that day. I’m glad that you’ve continued to share the stories of those everyday heroes…

B.

JerseyStyle Photography says:

on August 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Such special work….

~ Mark

Kris Mitchell says:

on August 3, 2011 at 2:44 am

Can’t wait to see these. I seem to remember a selection of your shots from 9-11 ended up in an exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in London. I was moved then, and I’m still moved by the stories of people’s kindness and hard work.

Neil says:

on August 3, 2011 at 6:51 am

This is a wonderful shot and inside glimpse. I’m signing up for the RSS feed and looking forward to the upcoming 9-11 posts. Time Warner Center? I hope to make it there!

Kyle Jerichow says:

on August 4, 2011 at 4:10 am

This photo has been a topic of disscussion on the facebook group of the guys that were in the workshop I did with you.

The questions raised in the group:

how did you light Father’s face with the right skin tone (I figure a gel) and the white thingy (let’s call it a rope) evenly lit without spill down to the floor or the orange seats…

My guess was an 80/20…but after looking at it for a while, I don’t know anymore.

Kyle

on August 4, 2011 at 5:41 am

Hey Kyle…pretty simple flash on camera. 80-20….flash cranked to the side so it feathers…flash is just a flick. shot at 1.4 best, joe

Carroll Owens says:

on August 5, 2011 at 1:06 pm

McNally,

Every time, and I mean EVERY time, I have seen one of your 9/11 portraits, I then cannot see my computer for the next five minutes through the tears.

Mark Spoo says:

on August 6, 2011 at 9:56 am

Thanks Joe.
I only wish your show would come to Chicago.

cdvoorhis says:

on August 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm

retired trying to get published. selling some. Would like help getting started

vanita says:

on August 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm

My teens and I are very much excited that we’ll be visiting your exhibit next week. Thank you for sharing Father Jordan’s story and Joe Hodges’s story. My daughters and I are looking forward to seeing these wonderful images of his story.

Jack Fussell says:

on August 30, 2011 at 8:14 am

Amazing photos that tell an amazing, tragic story. Would love to see them in person.

Agustin Melby says:

on November 12, 2011 at 5:29 am

Its rare for me to discover something on the net that is as entertaining and intriguing as what you have got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are great, and whats more, you use source that are relevant to what you are talking about. Youre definitely one in a million, good job!