vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

New Website….LIVE!

Jul 18

In Uncategorized at 9:58am

Every studio out there has multiple things going on at once, in the background. Shooting, editing, blogging, writing, organizing, printing–it’s pretty endless the stuff you do to keep your head above water since this thing called digital landed on the front doorstep. One of the things I tell any class I teach is that if you don’t have a website, an online repository of your work, you basically don’t exist as a photog. And it can’t just be a thrown together collection of stuff. You gotta think about it, design it, and make it user friendly. The average art director, or creative at an agency, has got, oh, about 2.5 seconds to finagle their way into your website and be struck enough to keep clicking. You gotta make it simple, approachable, and fast. And, by the way, you gotta have some good pix to back up all the dissolves, fades and type treatments.

Today, we are launching a new, updated website, in collaboration with Livebooks. Notice the royal “we” there. I’ve been on the road, and Drew back at the studio has been hammering this into shape, along with Mike Cali. Drew’s got good picture sense, and good design sense, and the results, hopefully speak for themselves. I invite you to cruise a bit, if you have, you know, hopefully more than 2.5 seconds.

A few very cool tidbits about the new site…

- There’s a ton more depth to the site than any previous iteration we’ve had- stories, lots of new photos, video content built-in, etc…and there’s a bunch more on the way.

- The site is now fully scalable, thanks to Livebooks’ new Scaler feature.

Add an Image

Take a look, and let us know what you think.

A huge thank you goes out to Matt Bailey, Ryan Mahar, Adam Royer, Dayle Hendrickson, and everyone else at Livebooks who helped us piece all of this together.

More tk…..

69 Responses to “New Website….LIVE!”

Bob says:

on July 19, 2011 at 11:10 am

Keep on moving forward…the rest of us are following!

Bob

JerseyStyle Photography says:

on July 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I know how hard it is to redo, and relaunch, a website, especially one so media-rich as this one. Joe, I’m sure you and your team thought about all the angles (Flash, no Flash, load times, etc.) I’m sure you made the right decisions for the way you want to present your work. As I said on Twitter, nice job. More noir would be nice….;-)….but nice job to you, Drew and the rest of the team.
~ Mark

Charlie says:

on July 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Looks fantastic, Joe. More in depth than yout last site but, at the same time, clean as a whistle! Great collaboration.

James says:

on July 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Site is amazing! Not sure what all the hubbub is about, 97% of internet traffic is capable of flash!

Site is crisp, clean and super easy to use. Loaded fast, with no troubles and man are the images impressive. Found myself spending the afternoon looking over the amazing portfolios! Keep on setting the standard and appreciate you putting yourself out there as you do!

Michael Huitt says:

on July 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Clean, easy to navigate and feature rich. Love the new site… and the photography as always is breathtaking and inspiring.

Thanks, Joe!

- Michael

Chris says:

on July 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hi Joe & Drew, The portfolio website does look great and works well on my PCs and Macs, but on our iPads and iPhone it’s really, really bad.

I know Drew stated you had you reasons for the Flash based site, (and I’m sure they are good reasons) but what really shocks me is that Livebooks doesn’t have a better solution for you! I had always thought LiveBooks was probably one of the premier photography website designers/providers. In this case it doesn’t appear to be true.

From a non-flash perspective that’s too bad, Joe’s portfolio website should really reflect the wonderful work he has spent a life time creating. In my opinion the iPad is one of the perfect mediums (digitally) to provide that experience.

~Chris

Bob Copp says:

on July 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I love your work…Who doesn’t and what’s not to love.
Regarding the “site,” when you write something, I want to read it (I have all your books). In “The 21st Century Grid,” it is impossible, because of the fancy colors of the copy, for me to read. Frustrating. What is the problem with plain old black text? I understand that designers have to be designers, but isn’t copy supposed to be readable?
Doc

ric woods says:

on July 19, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I cant wait to see your new stuff.Back in the saddle now Joe?
Your energy is an inspiration. ric

David Apeji says:

on July 19, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Beautiful new site. Reminds me why you’re my favorite shooter.

Eric Politzer says:

on July 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Joe, the site looks great. especially happy to see all the classic work you have done archived more extensively online! but got to say that I still LOVE the pic of the father and daughter you took in Iceland!!

wishing you all the best from the other Land of Light — northern Norway.

cheers,

Eric

Michel says:

on July 20, 2011 at 12:55 am

Great new site, love it. It looks very smooth, it’s exactly according to my taste. Actually it is very similar to my own website which I developed all by myself. Being a photographer with an IT background personally I believe I came up with a design that best showcases a photographer’s portfolio. Sleek, clean, easy to use, fast, and where it’s all about the photos an nothing else. However I don’t think I would add a PDF download link to my own site, don’t see the point of that. And…white is also my favorite background color :)

Aaron Wulf says:

on July 20, 2011 at 2:28 am

Very clean site, Joe. Super easy to view and go through. I definitely like the changes!
Hope you’re well,
Aaron

Imajez says:

on July 20, 2011 at 6:51 am

I like the website as it allows the photos to shine through. But then as I redid mine recently and ended up with a similar large scalable photos on a minimal white design, I’m bound to be a bit biased. ;-)
One thing I was not so keen on was the thumbnail implementation. I’d prefer it if thumbnails were not placed over image and when thumbnails are clicked on, they stayed on [but not on image!]. Also initial image loading seems a bit slow – is that because images are being generated on the fly to fit browser, as I have a 50Mb connection here?

bycostello says:

on July 20, 2011 at 8:31 am

great looking site and so many beautiful images…

John E Adams says:

on July 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

Just stumbled on your amazing work during lunch today, what a treat and inspiration!

Love the site layout. The service they provide looks first rate and the scaler feature is a very nice addon for them.

Cheers!

John

Dave Prelosky says:

on July 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Michael,
While I fee a bit presumptuous offering a comment about someone’s site, consider this scenario:
An art director looking for the right photographer for a project lands on the Joe McNally website and has an Eureka! moment. Wanting to sprint off to the buyer’s office with the news, he wants to take “proof of concept” along. Yes, they could wait and open the same site and page – or the AD could print a PDF and arrive with the goods in hand.

Or the PDF’s could be for folks who like to hang pretty pictures on the fridge…

Jean-Philippe Papougnot says:

on August 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

Joe, your world is fascinating and I sincerely admire you not only as a photog but also the Man behind the camera who shares so much humanity through his beautifully crafted pictures. What a superb example you are and you make.
No doubt that your new website will inspire us even more!
Please, please, please, do come to UK for a series of workshops: London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Dublin for a good pint of Guiness. Please…
PjP

AI says:

on September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Congratulations on your new inspiring website. I love the minimalistic theme. Keep sharing your beautiful works Joe!

Somer Dietzman says:

on February 16, 2013 at 5:11 pm

have you heard any new stuff being released?