Seal Teams

Jun 1

In In The Field at 5:12am

The Navy SEALs have been in the news a lot lately, something they regard as a dubious blessing, I’m sure. Navy SEAL Team Six went in and dropped a hurt on bin Laden and created a legend. You know you’ve hit the big time when Disney tries to trademark the rights to your team. The Mickey Meisters backed off when they became the centerpiece of virtually every late night comic’s routine out there. It wasn’t a good move. When the troops you can muster on your side have names like Goofy, Ariel and Tinker Bell, you should think twice about messing with the SEALs, right?

I’ve worked out in Coronado with the SEALs a couple times, and was stupefied by the demands, the stress, and the resultant call to excellence. It’s a narrow funnel you pass through as a SEAL, and many don’t make it. I was one of the first journalists allowed to spend all of Hell Week with one class of hopefuls. (As my guide and adviser, himself a SEAL, told me, they had been reluctant to let the press into Hell Week, ’cause they “didn’t want America’s moms seeing what we were doing to their babies.” I gained entree by virtue of being on assignment for the National Geographic, doing a story on the limits of the human body. When you do a story like that, you pretty much have to make SEAL training one of your objectives.)

Just keeping pace with the week photographically was daunting beyond much of anything I had previously tried. I would hump cameras through various exercises and drills at all hours, then go back to the PAO office and grab a piece of linoleum floor and crash. I didn’t leave the base much during the week, and I got so tired that linoleum felt like a feather bed at a Marriott. But all I was doing was carrying cameras. I had breaks, and was often ferried about in a truck while they ran in wet fatigues. What they faced, night and day, was a schedule designed to break them.

That particular Hell Week started on a fairly easy going Sunday, in the very late afternoon. The class was summoned to a general meeting hall, and lulled into a sense of well being by being shown a movie. In the darkened room a DI walked in and started screaming at them to get outside. As they went running out of the room they were greeted with the din of machine gun fire into the air (dummy rounds) and flash bang grenades going off all over the place. The air was thick with smoke, and they were told to run over the berm and into the ocean. From that Sunday afternoon, until the following Friday, they all remained constantly wet.

They generally lose about 70% of the class during Hell Week. It is easy to see why. From Sunday through late on Thursday, they are generally allowed no sleep. They are constantly drenched in salt water, even when on land. Often times, they are actually in the water, and depending on what month your class is going through, the waters around San Diego can range from just plain cold to an ice bath.

During training like this, recruits are organized into boat crews, based on their respective heights. Tall guys with tall guys, and so forth, reason being that they carry their boats on their heads, so everybody’s gotta be in the same ballpark. The short crew generally gets dubbed “The Smurfs.” Interestingly, though, during the week I observed, the shorter crew did very well. In fact there seemed to be no actual body type that would guarantee success. A lot of the bigger, body builder types dropped out. My PAO confirmed that often happens. He chuckled and told me, “Yeah, when you see some of these skinny little guys make it all the way through, you know you got yourself one tough little motherf@##$%!”

One particularly difficult stretch involves a length of time staying afloat in San Diego bay at night, and then laying down, shirtless on a steel pier. From what I was led to believe, while embracing the pier, certain classes have chanted, “The cold steel is sucking the life from my body. The cold steel is sucking the life from my body.”

One really tough evolution is through an area called “Mud Flats.” Recruits basically have to perform maneuvers in muck so thick it can render them immobilized.

If you screw up, you meet Misery. Misery is a 300 pound piece of lumber emblazoned with the words “Misery loves company.” Boat crews who under-perform, or displease an instructor, do a round with this log.

While I was making this picture, the DI came up beside this struggling recruit and shouted at him, “Oh good, they’re gonna put your picture on the cover of Whiner magazine!” I felt bad, but I kept shooting. They do their job, and, as a shooter, you do yours’.

Protein intake is important, even though guys are literally falling asleep in their plates. The instructors move among them, pushing them to stay awake, and eat.

At the end of Hell Week, a handshake from the Bullfrog, the oldest active SEAL. It is a handshake well earned. In this week after Memorial Day, if it were possible, we should all shake their hand.   More tk….

73 Responses to “Seal Teams”

JerseyStyle Photography says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:16 am

Love seeing some of these images again. Especially Misery.

Kyle Jerichow says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:23 am

Awesome post. I have seen your seal pictures everywhere over the last few weeks (for good reason).

Did you stay awake with them during the whole Hell week?

And as always great ending, thank every veteran you see from WWII to OEF and OND. They have given up a lot more than most people would think.

Kyle

Malinda Hartong says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:43 am

Thanks for sharing Joe. Most folks have no idea how difficult it is to shoot when all Hell’s breaking loose or someone isn’t ever going to make it out of that burning structure or horrific car crash. Photojournalists are a special breed. You can’t do it without BOTH compassion and guts.

Fabulous images in difficult light – amazing as always!

Thanks to all our military, firefighters, and police who literally go through Hell for us anytime, anywhere, all the time, no questions asked. It’s been an honor for me to photograph both the Hell and the good times.

Listening to a SWAT callout as I type…

Malinda “FireAngel” Hartong
Firefighters – thanks for the nickname too!

Alex Filatov says:

on June 1, 2011 at 6:10 am

Amazing read Joe and incredible photographs. Really makes me appreciate what these guys do for our country even more.

Greg says:

on June 1, 2011 at 6:57 am

Amazing story ! Thank you !!

Karen B says:

on June 1, 2011 at 7:13 am

shake hands… and god bless

Garrick says:

on June 1, 2011 at 7:47 am

Thank you, Joe.

Gregg says:

on June 1, 2011 at 7:59 am

Good to see you back at the blog, sir.

Sherried says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Joe, thanks for the reminder of what our men go through.

Deb Hollister says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:32 am

I love the way you tell your stories.
Deb

Greg Foster says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:42 am

Great story and great photos, Joe, especially nice to see great stuff pulled out of what looks to be near total darkness. (And hey, I didn’t know you had done some work for Whiner magazine!)

R. Deldonna says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m not so sure that publishing pictures, or detailing the training that is involved is a good idea. One of things that keeps our special forces, especially the SEALs elete, is secrecy. Granted, the demand by the general public for information is huge, due to their popularity, there must remain a certain level of security to ensure that their expertise remains elete. And that every man who earns the right to wear the Trident be a secretive as possible not only for their safety, but for the safety of their family, and this country.

Henk says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

Living in the Netherlands I want to thank all US military, certainly including the veterans, for what they are doing and for what they have been doing to keep us all free and safe. THANKS!!!

Brian Struble says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Joe:

A fitting tribute to some of America’s very best. I am proud of our brave SEALS and all the armed services branch members who show tremendous dedication via service to our country.

Thank you to all who are serving and have served. Thank you to those have made the ultimate sacrifice. You are not forgotten!

Best,

Brian

Debra says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thank you Joe, amazing images as always.(how did you light these guys so well?) Your images really speak for these brave, strong, young men, who do not want attention for themselves. But we all owe them a debt of gratitude.

Steve Hobart says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

Nice Blog Joe, Bravo Zulu.

Fotodog says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

Excellent story with amazing photos.
I salute the SEALS for their commitment to the USA and to you for a fitting documentay.

bycostello says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

sounds brutal…

Mike Neale says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thank you,…late for a pj, but,…thank U!,…..;-)

mn

Bob says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

None of us should ever whine again. Thank you for posting this Joe.

Brittan McGinnis says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

Awesome, inspiring blog post Joe! Well written and the photos do justice to what those tough sons of guns have to go through to become SEALS.

Aaron Riddle says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

Simply stunning photos. Being a very strong supporter of the SEALS (my cousin was one), I thoroughly enjoyed reading this article and seeing a behind-the-scenes look.

Rick Bern says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Awesome blog Joe. Thank you.

Will Foster says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

Reminds me of a McNally workshop.

RB Stevens says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:47 am

Great read Joe. Thanks

Bill McCarroll says:

on June 1, 2011 at 11:19 am

Makes me proud to be an American, thanks for reminding us of the sacrifice and commitment these guys are willing to offer us and their country. Why else are they doing it, right? I’m a retired Air Force guy and I appreciate what these guys are doing for us every day.

Joe Masucci says:

on June 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

As a former Marine (8 years active duty including a tour in the first Gulf War) I can only imagine what these SEALS go through. They have my profound respect and gratitude. Thanks Joe for enduring the week and making more excellent photos!

jk says:

on June 1, 2011 at 11:27 am

Love your images as always. Your pictures are very inspiring. It gives me the energy to go outthere and try it better and better…

Thanks a lot Joe for sharing this with us!

Jakob

Lea Ciceraro says:

on June 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

Amazing! Thank you!!!

James Jennings says:

on June 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow! I know I never could handel that.

Edwin Rivera says:

on June 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Great post and images. Thanks for sharing.

Nicholas Wall says:

on June 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Awesome shots along with a great story.

Jan says:

on June 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m very impressed. Thanks for sharing.
Jan, The Netherlands

vizcara says:

on June 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I often say this its easy to remember the hero in the spotlight. But it is a far greater thing to remember those forgotten.. “The unsung and unknown heros” So many forgot my fallen brothers who dont come back.

Wouter says:

on June 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Nice. There was an article I read once about a testimony of an old NAVY Seal telling about his Training and the famous Hell Week. Anybody recall that article?

Emily says:

on June 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

AMAZING!!! You painted a picture for us. THank you!!!

Kelly Borgman says:

on June 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I have been on that island off of San Diego by virtue of a brother in law being in the Marine Corps. I saw some guys running on the military end of the beach. I was amazed at how easily they ran on the sand. I was doing good to walk in it. Good to see your pics, and envious of your access. He moved to Virginia and my wife and I live in Texas. I only get to see him on vacation.

george mabey says:

on June 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm

nice to see the success of the teaching of the british
S.a.s is showing in the seals ability

Lalabongo says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

navyseals13.jpg stunning – a storm waiting to happen…

Scott says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I stayed at the Hotel del Coronado one year while attending a conference. An avid runner, I was up hours before dawn for a run along the beach in front of the hotel. It was warm, and the sound of the surf crashing on the beach was very tranquil. It was a wonderful, quiet, solo moment.

At least it was until I realized there were 6 guys dressed in black running along side of me!

“Good morning, Sir!” was all they said, before they sped off ahead of me.

There are no words to describe the shock.

I turned around and headed back along the beach towards the hotel and met a Marine sergeant dressed in combat fatigues.

“Did you see 6 guys come passed here?”, says he.

I merely pointed up the beach where they were headed and got the hell off the beach.

Bob says:

on June 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Great story and photos Joe!

Alessandro Rosa says:

on June 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Their commitment to Country and Excellence is impressive. The only thing I could truly wish for would be for the United States to train our Diplomats as rigorously and as thoroughly as we train our SEALs; then maybe the SEALs job wouldn’t be as necessary.

USN POFC M.S. says:

on June 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm

hell yeah. GO NAVY!

Jack McGinnis says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Joe, once again an amazing story with great pictures. You are a great story teller. A special thanks to all of our troops for all they do for us.

Jack

Nick says:

on June 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I remember after the storming of the Iranian Embassy in London in the 80s the UK SAS attracted the same attention and the inevitable movie that followed. I read reports of scores of wannabes turning up at Stirling Lines to be met with hours of grueling PT.

Ive met a number of serving SF members from various countries and you can bet their minds are every bit as formidable as their strength. Alot of the work they do goes unnoticed and unreported but they’re always deployed in some of the most dangerous areas in the world

Michelle Riordan says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm

An excellent tribute to some amazing Americans. Thanks Joe for the great photos & insights. Aren’t there any photos of you humping it with the guys?

John Swarce says:

on June 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Terrific story, Joe. Thanks for sharing it.

–John

Xtine says:

on June 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Stumbled upon your blog and have bookmarked it :)
I love this peice and am inspired to share with my readers.

Do you mind me ‘re-publishing’ it on my personal blog with due credit and link to your site please?

Andy says:

on June 2, 2011 at 4:31 am

Funny, I remember reading this NG years ago and thinking “who the hell shot those?! He must’ve been pretty damn tough!” When I found out it was you, I wasn’t surprised. Self-professed overweight, flatfooted, numnuts, whatever. You’s tuff man!

Well, you have to be to get shots of that quality under conditions like that. Lemme guess, not much Prof Manuel Strobist “hold it, up 1-stop” going on there!

Andy

Andy says:

on June 2, 2011 at 4:41 am

@R. Deldonna
I’m sure the military vetted the article and photos and know what is and what isn’t sensitive – Joe?

Rather than exposing secrets, to me the article reads more as:
“Dear enemy,
We are tougher and harder than you can imagine. See you soon.
The SEALS