vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

We’re At 60!

Mar 18

In Tours at 12:55pm

About 60 flashes, that is….

Yesterday, in San Diego. Great crowd, lotsa fun. All flashes run off TTL commander. Wireless command, 3 groups, all manual! None TTL! (Please don’t tell Hobby…..)

More tk….

42 Responses to “We’re At 60!”

Ingrid says:

on March 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

WOW, this is a great shot. Looks like you guys are having fun! Wish I was there.
-Ingrid

eha1990 says:

on March 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great photo. What camera did you shot this with?

Braun says:

on March 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Mr. M that is super sweet! WB everybody blue and then used a strobe gelled warm to light her face ? amazing work. we’re throwing a big strobist meet up like chase did in Seattle first weekend of May. Would love for you to come down

Trask Smith says:

on March 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Looking forward to attending the show in Houston. I guess I’ll bring my SBs with me in case you do something like this there.

Jenene Waters says:

on March 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm

What fun this was! Knew kind of what to expect from following you both for so long, but it was better than I even imagined. Learned a ton and laughed alot. Great job by you both and your entire crew.

Marc says:

on March 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

That looks like a lot of fun! And so simple! Providing you have a plethora of photographers with strobes!

“Would you say I have a plethora, Jefe?”

Adam Ziaja says:

on March 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

EXIF:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3S
Image Date: 2011-03-17 18:57:11 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 15.0mm (35mm equivalent: 15mm)
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Incandescent
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: (C) JOE MCNALLY
Copyright: (C) JOE MCNALLY

Jeremy says:

on March 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Guess we should all be bribing our SBs!!!

Irjohn Junus says:

on March 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Live in rooms full of light ~ Cornelius Celsus

On a different note, those 60 some puppies (and some gears in our camera bag we love) are brainchild of some hardworking people in Japan recently devastated by 9 richter scale earthquake and the aftermath tsunami. As we speak, many homeless are struggling with cold snowy climate in the open and potential nuclear meltdown.

Thoughts and prayers to those who’s provided us with gears that keep us having fun.

Stay safe on the road, Joe. Best.

Manuel Magallanes says:

on March 18, 2011 at 3:22 pm

where is the photo with the 44 flash from LA? ;-)

Dominic says:

on March 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm

That’s a lot more than what I did with my three SB-800s and my two SB-900s :-)

Nikon ROCKS!!!! Yes!

John-Paul Wolf says:

on March 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm

My favorite quote of the day surrounding this picture. “uh yea the walls are blue because I made them that way” Ha ha

Eric Politzer says:

on March 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm

oh sure, we in LA were just a little 40-light warm-up for what was yet to come. bet it will be like, I mean, cuz, totally 200 by the time you hit New York, for real!!

Samy says:

on March 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

a 60 flash setup for a real great shot. That’s insane and really awesome.

Richard Cundiff says:

on March 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Do I hear Gunnis World Record?? Most strobes used to light a photograph??

Michael says:

on March 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Is that Meathead in the front row?

Trevor says:

on March 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Cool! I was hoping you’d post this, and not just because I can now say I’m on your blog (yes, I’m the guy sitting to the right who looks like his eyes are half-closed – which they were :P ).

Theis Poulsen says:

on March 19, 2011 at 3:40 am

Loads of flashes but I like the shot from the other day alot better – feels more reel.

denise karis says:

on March 19, 2011 at 4:15 am

thank you for phoenix yesterday! it was incredibly enlightening….the only time i ever used a flash was about a year ago…i was walking around and it fell off my camera! i hardly know how to adjust the thing…so now im anxious to try everything i learned – thank you so so much!

Glen says:

on March 19, 2011 at 4:42 am

Thanks for posting this shot, Joe. It was one of many shots you did in San Diego on the Flash Bus Tour that blew me away. I have to admit that I still don’t understand how you get such amazing color and light SOOC, but I had a great time. You and David both did a fantastic workshop.
I shoot with a Canon though, can I ever get this good of a shot ;-}

Kyle jerichow says:

on March 19, 2011 at 7:50 am

I remember we did about 40 in the workshop I did, what is the maximum number of flashes a commander can fire?

Kyle

Girl in the lower left corner of the photo says:

on March 19, 2011 at 9:45 am

I don’t recall anyone doing anything manual in the afternoon. Of course, Hobby was out for pizza, so there’s no telling what we did without adult supervision…

Patrik Lindgren says:

on March 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Crazy stuff! Really cool with the paparazzi-feeling in both this and the previous post.

Jessica says:

on March 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I can’t wait for St. Louis!!!!

Steinar says:

on March 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Im only counting 30 flashes, where is the rest?!

Manny Nieto says:

on March 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Very Nice Joe!

Adrian says:

on March 20, 2011 at 2:54 am

Woohoo! Had so much fun with Flash Bus in San Diego! Loved this shot and also the one where you shot Justine Bieber with a shoot through umbrella…wait, that was Justine Bieber, right?

Alex Atienza says:

on March 20, 2011 at 4:40 am

I tried this type of shot over the weekend with Canon flashes. Got some succesful shots but with much fewer flashes.

Chuck F. says:

on March 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

<3 it… <3 it… <3 it… PHOTOBOMB (red sweater on st. paddy's day)!!!

Jim Shoemaker says:

on March 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

“Only” 44 flashes in Los Angeles… I guess maybe there were too many Canon shooters in the crowd. It was a great learning experience. You and David are both brilliant.

Jim Zink says:

on March 21, 2011 at 8:00 am

I caught you two in Salt Lake Sunday. Sunday? Didn’t you know you were losing all the momarazzi’s? Probably just as well. Sorry happy hour was voted out of existence here last week. Other than the great inspiration my observation is that Joe is actually William C. Macey.

Lorraine Daley says:

on March 21, 2011 at 8:50 am

What a fun shot!!!!

Gerry Johnson says:

on March 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Joe
Just finished SLC with you and David – thank you! So great to see the creativity flow and problem-solving done on the fly – all with a calm demeanor!
Gerry

Glyn Dewis says:

on March 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Lovin’ it! :)

Janine Fugere says:

on March 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Gosh, just when I was really excited that I splurged for 2 more Speedlights so I now have a set of 3 to use wireless! Gonna make it more than 60 in Denver & mine will be one of them….

Thomas J O'Reilly says:

on March 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Enough with the Paparazzi shots. You are much more talented than that. This makes 3 David Hobbie SU-4/TTL “Paparazzi” type shots. OK – they look cool, but give us some good stuff. Drew – start posting the educational, creative, and advanced stuff.

I don’t meant to kick you in the nuts, but I hope you guys can teach some advanced stuff on this tour. If not, I will be sorely disappointed.

Bump it up a notch!!!

TO

John Swarce says:

on March 22, 2011 at 12:13 am

Have to bring my flashes to Boston! Looks like a lot of fun.

Joe, are your classes at PSW going to be similar to the FB tour class? Just trying to plan my class schedule for Orlando!

–John

Dennis Ebben says:

on March 22, 2011 at 4:29 am

60! I like the idea, and I really like the picture.

(and I won’t tell Hobby ;) )

Todd says:

on March 23, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Joe-

Attended FTB in San Jose. Needless to say, I got to see you two get pinched a little bit, and bounce back in spades. I just wanted to thank you for opening up that cranium of yours, and allowing years and years of knowledge to be available to the masses. It’s really a pretty amazing time, as far as the availability of information goes, and you and David have really done wonders for many in the photography community. I look to your work for inspiration, new ideas, and the need to constantly improve. OK, ass-kissing is done.

I am regretful of one thing about the FTB – that I didn’t stand up in the aisle and start dueling you with one liners from the Princess Bride. But you know… I only doggy paddle.

Cheers!

Todd

David Noceti says:

on March 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Cali is getting better looking as the tour progresses. ;)

Mathieu Wauters says:

on March 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm

As Darth Vader would say: impressive. Most impressive.

Great shot Joe!

Bogdan says:

on April 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Everyone owning a flash, please raise your hand! Anyone owning 2 ? All on channel 2 please, thanks!
CLICK!!!