29 Cities, 13,000 Miles….

Jan 25

In Lighting, News, Rambling at 8:27am

Never had this much fun with pushpins, I tell ya. 29 cities, spread all over the U.S. Numnuts with his TTL high wire act jumping on a bus with Captain Manual, aka Strobist, aka St. David of Baltimore. We’re gonna converge on Seattle on March 11, pack a bunch of speed lights into the hold of a bus, and just roll from there. Go to this website for the straight skinny on the whole shebang.

David does manual. I do TTL. It was always gonna come to this, right? Packed on board the bus with us are Drew Gurian, Grippi, Cali, and of course, Jeff Snyder of Adorama, which is the major sponsor of the tour. Geez, I wonder if the bus runs on methane? Our saving grace will be road manager Karen Lenz. She will, I think, keep the bus from being a zoo on wheels.

Kidding aside, there’s gonna be a great day of teaching at each stop. David does the morning shift, showing manual flash, and creating buzz by adding and subtracting lights. He’s going to concentrate a bit on the “why” of light, which is something a lot of shooters don’t actually think about all that much in the midst of just doing light. I take over in the afternoon, go TTL, walk the plank, see if it works, push the system and fire lights from way far away. Both David and I have been on the beta team for the new Pocket Wizard Flex-Mini’s, and this tour is a big time rollout for them. The units rock, and the envelope of all small flash, TTL and otherwise, just got a whole bunch bigger with these puppies coming into their own.

So go to the site, www.theflashbus.com. I’ve been a bit of a cartoon my whole life. Now it’s official. More tk….

Pushpin photography by Mike Cali.

94 Responses to “29 Cities, 13,000 Miles….”

Bruno Ázera says:

on January 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm

One more for the other side of the Atlantic :)

Iden Ford says:

on January 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

And you are not coming to Toronto because?
a: Too much hassle at the border
b: Canada is too cold according to Drew
c: Cannot go everywhere
d: Canadians ask too many questions
e: Planning a seperate Canadian Tour because Heart is touring Canada and Ann and Nancy Wilson booked their tour first
f: Joe and Dave have a criminal record and cannot get in the country
g: all of the above

David G says:

on January 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm

1st things 1st. Happy Australia Day !!

ohhh and what a great tour. Wish I was living that side of the pond but alas I stuck with this wonderful country. Hope it exceeds everyone’s expectations and is the catalyst for a global itinerary.

Todd says:

on January 25, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Sweet! I am stoked for this. See you in Atlanta!

Bogdan says:

on January 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Joe, do you see that big, grey area just over the northern US border? There’s no pins in there mate… How come? Please put on some pins in that area next time… About where Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and other such other places would be :-) .
Quite a few people this side of the border would like to buy you a beer (or two) :-)

Cheers!

Bogdan

Graeme says:

on January 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm

And does the bus have aquatic abilities to bring you both to the wrong side of the pond? Jealous of Europe!!

Charlie Cotugno says:

on January 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Psyched! Will be there for the opening gig in Seattle, watching all the “kinks” getting worked out. Can’t wait!

Jorge says:

on January 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I’m issuing a challenge to both of you.
Every time the bus stops at a red-light one of you has to get out and set up lights, take the shot and get back on the bus before the light changes. Chinese fire drill style.
Assistants used have to be neutral. I know Joe and Drew have a TTL link.
Heckling is encouraged. Removing the batteries from your opponent’s flash not allowed. Mooning…. depends on the jurisdiction.

Posted here and on Strobist.

CallumW says:

on January 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Big announcement from Mr.McN and Mr.Hobby……

I was hoping the announcement of the long awaited replacement to the D700, but no …. :(

Ah well … it’ll happen eventually.
Enjoy the trip

C.

Steve says:

on January 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Pretty big gap there in the midwest. How about making a stop in Kansas City :)

Archie says:

on January 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm

C’mon…….No Montana love? Moose would not be happy.

Launa Bodde says:

on January 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm

This made my day! I will be first in line in Seattle :)

Richard Davis says:

on January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Looking forward to March 26th – it’ll be a wh00t!

Mark says:

on January 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Love that you’re coming to Seattle, thanks! It’s only 5 hours ferry/driving time from me in Victoria (you T.O. people – stop whining – it’s only 2 hours to Buffalo!). The only downside is that March 11th is my wife’s AND my daughter’s b-days. Hmm..wonder what I’ll have to barter with….

Lee Priest says:

on January 25, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I hate to make this a broken record, but Canada is calling! When will you guys be venturing north of the border? You name the time and place. We’ll be there in droves, I promise you!

Jean Labelle says:

on January 26, 2011 at 8:02 am

Two of Canada’s largest cities are near the US border… Toronto and Vancouver.
Come on guys, show us a little love…

Mike M says:

on January 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

Cannot wait to sign up for the ATL tour stop!!
Looking forward to see the magic photons fly
BTW awesome illistration of you n david on the flash bus site!

Craig says:

on January 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

The Gods finally know we’re here in Indiana. The announcement of the superbowl for next year is only an appetizer by comparison to the stopover by Joe and Dave.

Dennis Pike says:

on January 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

I am SOOOOO going. See you at the NYC stop.

Amy Parish says:

on January 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

WHOOHOO……Albuquerque!!! You’re actually coming…i am so doing the happy dance!

Jim Greif says:

on January 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

The tour sounds great. Looking forward to the NYC dates.

A few weeks ago, you mentioned that you were a beta tester for the new PocketWizards for Nikon. Will you be doing a review?

They sound really good, but I’d still like to see some evaluations from independent sources.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim G. says:

on January 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

How will this tour differ from the NAPP lighting one you did last Fall?

Caleb says:

on January 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm

See you in Dallas!

Mark D says:

on January 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hey!

Where’s Kansas City on this list? All those other cities are just a bit too far away to make it practical for a lot of us midwest photographers.

Vladimir says:

on January 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm

McNally and Hobby in Seattle? The first stop of the tour? For $99! Are you freakin’ kidding me, I’m setting myself a reminder to register as soon as I can!

Barbu says:

on January 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I wonder if Nikon Europe wouldn’t be interested in sponsoring a tour of you two… At least the capitals from European Union. And since it’d be the first one in a lot of countries, I cannot imagine at least 1000 people per sitting. More like 5000, even. Just give it a thought; start from Dublin :) and make your way eastwards.

Mark says:

on January 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm

When will the bus be coming to Australia?

Navdeep says:

on January 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

Don’t tell you are going to miss cricket world cup .. !!

(just kidding .. I am sure you may not even know .. where it is happening :)

Barry says:

on January 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hmm, Atlanta on April 3. Wife is due on April 4. This is gonna get tricky…

D Barton says:

on January 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Joe & David see you in Atlanta.

John M. says:

on January 30, 2011 at 11:24 am

DAMMIT, Joe! You FINALLY come to Seattle when I’ll be on the East Coast! Could timing be any worse?

Daniel S says:

on January 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Trying to decide if I would benefit from attending. I took your “Learn to Light” seminar at Gulf Photo Plus in 2009. I have David’s Lighting 101 DVD series. Is the Flash Bus Tour the same material, or would I learn new stuff? I’m willing to spend if I can learn something new.

Your candid response is appreciated!

Thanks

Daniel S says:

on January 31, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Sorry, I submitted a post earlier about taking Joe’s seminar “Learn to Light”. Actually it was in the spring of 2010, not 2009… not sure if he taught in 2009 or if the seminar changed…

thanks for correcting.

Robert says:

on February 1, 2011 at 1:04 am

See you in Los Angeles!

Steph Owens says:

on February 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Would love to see you in Jax, FL some time! And we have warmer weather than the freezing temps of the north… we’ll even throw in a few margaritas if it will entice you! ~ Palm trees and bikinis? what more can we offer up to ya to say “yes”? :o )

Nate Grigg says:

on February 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I was so excited to see Salt Lake City on there – but when I went to register I realized that March 20th is a Sunday, so I can’t come.

Any chance we could move Salt Lake to Monday the 21st?

Dang, dang, dang.

on February 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm

sorry nate….logistics, mileage and sked made SLC doable on Sunday, or not at all…apologies….joe

Byron Will says:

on February 13, 2011 at 1:05 am

Joe, I guess I don’t check your blog often enough, as this tour is already full in Portland, OR. I put myself on the wait list. Looks like it’s going to be a success for you both…Byron

indoor lights says:

on June 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Great post with great information about lighting category totally new peace of knowledge for me.

lighting says:

on July 31, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wow! It’s a long way to go! How about the UK? ;)

Andera Mcree says:

on September 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hello ! C’est vraiment un extraordinaire écrit, je te félicite de l’avoir écrit. Pour te remercier, cadeau, une ligne pour pouvoir pratiquer du card sharing : F: ram1457h ram1457trey 2 0 0 0:0:1,100:3317 #27/02/2012. C’est sans frais, alors n’hésites pas à l’utiliser et la partager. Bonne journée