Scenes from the Workshops

Jul 14

In Seminars & Workshops at 11:39am

A huge thanks once again goes out to our workshop partners: Nikon, Adorama and Manfrotto.

All shots below are basically right out of camera. We’re mixing around lighting systems and styles, moving fast, and experimenting.

dobbs-day-3_0188

Nikon D3x with a 200 f/2. Elinchrom Ranger Quadra into a 39″ Deep Octa for the main light, and  two SB-900′s on SU-4, bounced into a Lastolite Trigrip for fill.

dobbs-day-3_0314

Nikon D3x, 14-24. One SB-900 into a Lastolite shoot through Umbrella, camera left.  Tungsten white balance, and two full cuts of CTO on the flash.

dobbs-day-3_0208

Nikon D3x, 24-70 lens.  One SB-900, on-camera into a Ray Flash ring flash, on manual.

_jm30547

_amc0006

_pro0028

20 Responses to “Scenes from the Workshops”

Justin Van Leeuwen says:

on July 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

so much to see in this post – I wouldn’t have thought that gold trigrip was so far away. Just a hint of fill I guess – a kiss of light. Brilliant. Thanks again Joe.

Scott Slattery says:

on July 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

Looks like a blast! Can’t wait to get there for this Saturday!!!!

JayM says:

on July 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Another inspired outing. I love the blue shot. And now see why I’ve never gotten it right: not using enough CTO to counteract the incandescent WB. Going to have to start going with 2 full cuts rather than 1 and a half.

Thanks again, Joe.

oliton says:

on July 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Looks like lotsa fun !

Patrick Delany says:

on July 14, 2010 at 8:27 pm

The space looks warm. Shorts look to be the optimal dress code. Looking forward to the fun on Sunday!

on July 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Definitely, definitely shorts….it’s been okay, but yesterday after that rain it got so humid I wished I was teaching a figure study class….:-)

Tim Skipper says:

on July 14, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Looks great. It’s like your spawning a whole bunch of “little Joes”.

I haven’t been to one of your workshops, but I’ve read your books and watched your training videos on Kelby Training. This image was inspired by one of your lessons

Thanks for teaching

says:

on July 15, 2010 at 12:16 am

来自中国,关注您好长时间了,你的书我都有,经常在阅读,反复的阅读。
第一次留言。
From China, concerned about the Hello long time, your book I have, often in reading and repeated reading. The first message.

says:

on July 15, 2010 at 12:22 am

英语不好,请见谅!
English is not good, please forgive me!

Howard Haby says:

on July 15, 2010 at 6:17 am

Great colour in that second photograph! Excellent.

Paul Hodgson says:

on July 15, 2010 at 6:25 am

Thanks again for these posts…very informative.

Having a hooter (UK for nose) the size of a continent I’m curious if you would share what picture control you use in your cameras? You mentioned that these images are straight from camera and as I utilise ViewNX and NX2 and nef files, these pieces of software honour all your camera settings.

Hope you do answer.

Thanks again

Paul

Jason Lykins says:

on July 15, 2010 at 7:20 am

Hey Joe! Nice shots, nice workshops! We need some McNally love here in Cincinnati. Hell, we’ll even host at our studio if you want. 3000sqft to play in and do some shooting…

arun says:

on July 15, 2010 at 7:44 am

Would have loved to make it on one of these days – It was a blast the last time I was there.
Stay cool !!

Bill Bogle, Jr. says:

on July 15, 2010 at 8:17 am

Joe. Shorts, really, they look like capris on you. What legs! You should have worn the shorts when you had the workshop in January. As I recall, instead of looking for the light, we were looking for the heat. Still remember Andrew wrapped up in the rope, freezing with no shirt on.

Great shots, great space.

Wish I was there . . .

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Michael Wiesman says:

on July 15, 2010 at 9:01 am

Man, I wish I could be out there with everyone. I see lots of smiles on everyone’s face and know that everyone is having a great time and the atmosphere must be just as great.

“I wouldn’t have thought that gold trigrip was so far away. Just a hint of fill I guess – a kiss of light. Brilliant.” – Justin Van Leeuwen

If you look at the catch-lights in the first posted photo, you can see the reflection of the tri-grip and just about how much it is contributing to the exposure. Just a kiss, the right amount.

Bob DeChiara says:

on July 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

All readers of this blog have been spoiled this week with 3 posts! What’s the matter Joe not enough work and all this time to blog…When you coming back to Mass?

Girish says:

on July 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

Nice shots. The second one is real nice.

Thanks for sharing the tech specs.

jason harry says:

on July 16, 2010 at 2:15 am

not been on here for a while nice to see your posts are almost daily !!!

good to see, lots of people will make better images looking through your archives

best wishes…… venice seems soo long ago now …

Karl Staib - Work Happy Now says:

on July 16, 2010 at 11:44 am

Love that first picture. The lighting is perfect. And the smile just jumps out at you.

Will Foster says:

on July 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Looks like Andrew is doing some sort of workout with those sb’s!