From the Low Desert to the High Desert

Mar 15

In Travels at 9:11am

_jm41386

Rick, Santa Fe, New Mexico.

_jm30080-blog

Dockworker, Dubai.

That was the week that was, surely. No blog post last week. Anything I might have written would have been just as incoherent as my schedule. I never plan it this way. Only an idiot would actually plan it this way. Hmmmm…….

But I had a bunch of stuff just box car up last week and bump into each other, mostly in the air, in the middle of some time zone my body and my noodle was completely unaware of. But have been shooting a lot in between my travels, and pretty happy with a few things. Up top, the formidable Rick is shot with an overhead Ezybox Hotshoe Softbox, and a Ray Flash ring light fill. The fellow on the docks was very simple, straightforward–Lastolite Tri-grip diffuser and an SB900. 50mm lens at 1.4.

_jm30121

_jm10059

_jm10024

Had a blast at GPP in Dubai, and was once again able to get together with the extraordinarily talented faculty that gathers there every year.  At the end of the week, one highlight was a shoot out with David Hobby, Zack Arias, and JoeyL. I was appointed moderator, kibitzer, and all around pest. It was all in good fun, but, as I pointed out to the audience, if they read between the lines, what they saw in with David and Zack were two extraordinary photogs working out a problem and coming up with a good picture in a matter of minutes. Hopefully folks noticed how DH built his picture and his exposure scenario piece by piece, and how Zack meticulously directed his subjects. Very cool. Drew and I hadda boogie to the airport, so we missed JoeyL, and his Polaroid performance.

Then zapped straight through to Santa Fe to hook up with the Mooster, and DLWS. And of course, up top, the famous Rick, keeper of the keys at the former New Mexico state pen. This week, I’ve got my regular lighting class at the Santa Fe Workshops. As I mentioned, have done some fun shooting lately, will be blogging about it during the week.

And, trust me, I haven’t forgotten all the sins! There were just a whole bunch, so here I am, committing the sin of lateness. They’ll be up soon. More tk…

16 Responses to “From the Low Desert to the High Desert”

Naqib/Qippy says:

on March 15, 2010 at 9:13 am

Nice pics Joe.I cant wait for my shoot in Dubai/Abu Dhabi this May…!

david says:

on March 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hey Joe (sounds like the intro to a song . . .)

Rick is one scary looking dude. Wouldn’t want to be locked up where he has the keys. :) Great face nevertheless.

Scott says:

on March 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

FYI – bad link on the Santa Fe Workshops – it currently points to Joey L’s web page. Or maybe this is intentional!

Richard Hales says:

on March 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Love the photo of rick. Any particular reason why you used a ring-flash for the fill?

Ken Toney says:

on March 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Joe, hey dude you fit so well the other 4 guys from Bubai.(need to get out in the sun)

Glyn Dewis says:

on March 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hey Joe,

Sounds like it non-stop at the moment, but then saying that it always seems like it’s non-stop with you…lol

Really like the shot of Rick up to; is the Ray Flash something you’re adding to the mix more often nowadays or was it just a case of playing and seeing what comes of it? Great shot either way.

Look forward to seeing more of what you’ve been up to lately,
Take care out there,
Glyn

ps> Lovin’ your latest class on Kelby Training!

Boston Wedding Photographer says:

on March 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Looks great. You almost look photoshopped in that fourth photo.

Jim says:

on March 15, 2010 at 9:56 pm

When I read your posts, sometimes I wonder if you really realize just how fortunate you are as so many people that read your blog wish they were as talented and lucky as you are.

Charlie says:

on March 15, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Great stuff as always. keep up the good work.

santi says:

on March 16, 2010 at 1:29 am

im sorry i wasnt able to make it!! i was shooting state basketball games.. all the time thinking of the images that were being made..

Omari Stephens says:

on March 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Like a lot of other folks, I really like the photo of Rick. The expression and the dangling cigarette are perfect. You always talk about defining the space, and this is a great example of how well it can work. Thanks

Lorri E says:

on March 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

“The fellow on the docks was very simple, straightforward–Lastolite Tri-grip diffuser and an SB900.”

I have really got to take one of your lighting classes because I want those type of shots to be ‘straightforward’ for me!

ric woods says:

on March 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm

great pics, you have a good repore with your subjects for sure

Barbara Thorbjörnsson says:

on March 17, 2010 at 11:15 am

I relly like the portrait of Rick. I feel as though I know him by just looking at it. It tells his story or perhaps, I am being presumptuous.

Dan says:

on March 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

I was surprised to see Rick’s picture on your blog, but then I realized it meant you were probably teaching here in Santa Fe.

Here’s my shot of him: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcummins/3762344254/

I would love to explore that place with you and watch you work in there.

Reem Al Marri says:

on March 22, 2010 at 4:57 am

Dear Joe,
I attended your workshop in GPP Dubai, and was honored to get your autograph on your book… im a female UAE national you wants to be a good photographer someday… ill be in Abu Dhabi’s workshop to learn from you! thank you for coming to the UAE to inspire young photographers around the world!