This of Course, Is My Fault….

Feb 12

In Friends at 6:50am

img_0672

Lemme explain. Nigel was up on the counter by me, staring at birds and squirrels, and wondering, you know, what life would be like on the outside. (Not as cushy as you have it on the inside, my friend.) He looked thirsty. I had a wine glass handy (go figure), and well, the rest is history. Annie insisted that if I did that for Nigel, I would have to do it for his brother, Arie, so he wouldn’t be jealous. Arie’s got tons of issues already, so I went along with it, and now, well, the cats prefer to drink out of a long stemmed wine glass.

Made this with my Iphone (I’m up to 5 or 6 pictures a day) in low light so it’s no corker of a frame. But it is Nigel, and Annie, his mom, has gone missing to the Vancouver Games for a month, so me and the boys are sharing a lot of wine glasses together, just missing her. Tough time of the year. Pitchers and catchers still don’t report for a few days, and skiing, well, the only really indelible image I have of skiing is of that poor dude who splattered himself over and over again, back when ABC was the Olympic network they would play that “thrill of victory, agony of defeat” commercial relentlessly.

I’d ship this off to the Adorama Iphone Contest, but I can do better by Nigel than shooting him at like 4 in morning. They’ve extended the deadline for the contest by two more weeks, by the way, and I’ve seen some stuff being submitted, and it’s terrific. Give it a go….the prizes are very cool.

picture-1

Facebook…I’ve been slow on my Facebook email, ’cause I’ve been on the road most of 2010. Getting caught up, and at the studio, we are trying to work the whole Facebook thing out a bit better. I’ve got a bunch of requests and stuff stacked up like crazy, and have had some, well, testy, notes sent to me about being current. We will do our best…..anything that goes lagging around here in terms of internet communication and updating is all Drew’s fault anyway, so just wanted to get that out in the open.

All you sinners! All the folks who sent in their most egregious photo moments. Holy cow! There are some downright gaudy, layered, densely intricate, highly nuanced instances of commission and omission with a camera out there. (Some are such whoppers, I wish I had done ‘em myself, ’cause the story line is terrific.) We are reading them all, and consulting with Father Bob. We will get back to all of you, presently,

Home…don’t know what time it is, really, but I am home….guess I’ll just watch the squirrels with Nigel….more tk….

nigelsquirrel

Photo by our one and only Lynn Delmastro!

31 Responses to “This of Course, Is My Fault….”

Pulung Aldila says:

on February 12, 2010 at 7:03 am

cute nigel

Gordon says:

on February 12, 2010 at 7:06 am

aha….my own cat, George, will only drink out of his own water glass beside my bed….its actually hard to get him to stop eating off my plate as well!

Pamela Eckelbarger says:

on February 12, 2010 at 7:34 am

One of my 3 cats has to drink from a “people” glass so I leave one sitting on the window seat in our bedroom. Next thing I know, the other 2 cats are following suit. Every morning they line up at the window waiting for me to “refresh” the glass, all the while a clean BOWL of water sits by their food dishes… untouched.

Evert says:

on February 12, 2010 at 8:01 am

LOL@catz!

My cats actually do the same. In fact, they prefer to drink water out of ANYTHING (including glasses, sinks and if they get the chance…toilets!) expect where they are supposed to drink it ;)

david says:

on February 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

Don’t want to start a dog vs cat thing, but . . . :-)

No one ever said cats don’t have class.

caroline says:

on February 12, 2010 at 9:05 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one spoiling her pets beyond reason.

Mark says:

on February 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

Question is…what’s in the glass? Water or…..

Welcome home; loved your reportage from KL. Awesome stuff.

Crystal says:

on February 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

Aww cute nigel.. my own kitty gets her own water glass at bedtime.. or she shares mine, because she refuses to share with the dogs; can’t really say I blame her.

Ken says:

on February 12, 2010 at 10:22 am

My wife tells when missing her, she say, “sympathy is next to syphilis in the dictionary.”

Enjoy that damn cat….

Ken in KY

Joey Schwartz says:

on February 12, 2010 at 11:07 am

My Birman Cats, Kiqi (my girl), and Zenji (my boy) will not drink out of a bowl, it must be at least a quality drinking glass. They are spoiled rotten but it is my pleasure. I know you enjoy time with Nigel as I do with mine which means your finding peace in him and an unconditional love…….Sorry for the rambling but cats are very special beings and have a lot to teach us.

Anna says:

on February 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hahahaha! Cute! Enjoy home and it was great having you and Drew over on our side of the world :)

Ron says:

on February 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hey Joe,

I have the same indelible image of skiing – when I was a kid we used to watch the Wide World of Sports opening every week just to see “that one guy wipe out” – it turns out he was a celebrity for 30 years and didn’t know it. Check out wikipedia for “Vinko Bogataj”.

For the record, my dogs refuse to drink from their water bowl, but instead drink out of the swimming pool.

– Ron

Dave says:

on February 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

My dog drinks out of a huge white porcelain wine glass :)

karl bratby says:

on February 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm

oh so cute….

Matt Hunt says:

on February 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Squirrel in a glass?

And late entry for camera sins: I’ve bought a 3rd body on ebay..doh.

David says:

on February 12, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Can you have too many photos of your pet? I mean what does it say if your Dog is a better subject than the humans in the house?

Susan Dennis says:

on February 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Welcome back to the good old US of A!

I love these pics of Nigel…so fun and just darn cute-what a cool cat! I confess to letting my pug sip from a wine glass as well!

And I’m glad you mentioned catching up with Facebook specifically, because I did something really dumb and accidentally deleted you from my friend’s list (long story, but a “doh” moment for sure) and so I sent you another friend request and a message blaming Facebook (of course) and then I realized it was my screw-up! In any case…hopefully you (or Drew) will eventually get around to accepting me back into the fold!

Bob DeChiara says:

on February 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm

That darn cat!

-Bob

Richard Cave says:

on February 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Thats nothing, got a call from the local wine bar, apparently buffy has run up a tab!

No more treats for this kitty.

Tim Woodard says:

on February 12, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I am one of those facebook request that is waiting approval. Hope you will add me to the fan club!

Richard Hales says:

on February 13, 2010 at 5:47 am

Don’t worry about the wine, my Aunt’s cat was put on prozac for his issues

Will Foster says:

on February 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Nice shot Lynn!

Mike Rawcliffe says:

on February 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm

We recently had a new kitchen fitted so we moved our cat’s water dish into the bathroom. When the kitchen was finished we moved the dish back into the conservatory (the through-room being the kitchen). guess what we found when we went into the bathroom? A cat sat looking at where the dish used to be. Who said cats can’t talk?

They also sit in the bath for a drink from the cold tap. We have two cats. Neither cats are ours: they have just moved in!

clarisseteagen says:

on February 14, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I GASPED as i saw ze kitteh drinking from a wine glass. .. HAHAHAHA.
This is so humorous.

Monty says:

on February 14, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Joe, any word from Apple on getting your Iphone to remotely fire speedlights? I am looking forward to that blog, if it ever comes to pass. Until then I’ll just have to settle for the daily inspiration I draw from your second rig. ;P

John says:

on February 15, 2010 at 2:05 am

I know I’m only seeing Nigel’s back, but that cat looks rather eager to get up-close and personal with the squirrel. Hope those windows are secure and that he doesn’t find a way to get outside!

Judy says:

on February 15, 2010 at 9:16 am

Holy Cow, I had to hit the “boss button” so my husband wouldn’t see this image. He, the cat person of the house, will take any opportunity to spoil the cat, and this wine glass trick has him written all over it. She already drinks milk out of his mug at dinner.

Great shot for an iPhone, even if the photog is a bit of an amateur… ;)

Adrienne says:

on February 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Great shot Peter. Too funny about the cat but not surprised. They seem to be able to find whatever they want and just have at it. Enjoyed…

Gary says:

on February 16, 2010 at 4:40 pm

One of our four-foots likes to drink from the bathroom sink. No problem with that, but when she decides she _must_ have a drink, and why am I not up and attending to her every whim, she will remove the sink stopper from the sink and bring it to me, dripping wet, and plunk it down on the keyboard, or on my face if I’m napping.

carlos says:

on February 26, 2010 at 1:32 am

Well, I suppose this explains why you haven’t reciprocated on my facebook friendship request…… and I was getting all set to sulk about it. Now I’ll have to find something else because I was really working up a good sulk too.

I hate it when mamma ain’t home too.

bad credit cars says:

on July 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Intelligent content isn’t easy to come by these days. However, reading your article gave me hope for today’s writers. It’s evident you are knowledgeable and know how to express yourself.