Aperture 3 Was My Idea….

Feb 9

In News at 7:02pm

aperture-3-lg

The truth can finally be told. I’ve been tinkering with the notion of a program like this for years, and well, all I can say is thanks to all those folks at Apple who listened.

Joe make joke.

It’s here. Geez louise, it’s here. After a whole bunch of swirl and anticipation, Aperture 3 is launched. Drew and I have been working with it for months now, and I have to say, I feel like I did when I got a D3 in my hands. I liked the D2X, and enjoyed driving it in the middle lane of the freeway, windows slightly open, enjoying the breeze, listening to Judy Collins on the FM, big slurpie in the cup holder, a veritable picture of moderate contentment. Then the D3 slammed past me in the fast lane and sucked out my headlights. Been hanging onto the throttle of that bad boy ever since. It was a quantum leap in cameras.

Feel the same about this. I liked Aperture 2. Worked out fine. But this thing is a monster. Apple just started a whole new ball game here. It is sleek, elegant, and clean. The complete workability of the full screen mode is terrific. The brushes are sweet. And for me, for whom life is succession of hotel rooms and airports, the slide show feature is what I have been waiting for. Instead of timing, and re-timing, and juggling music and pix endlessly, the slide show feature for Aperture 3 just rocks. You can blend still and video, and make it all sing and dance together really easily.

Check out the full skinny here. While I was sleeping in Malaysia, those fellas in Cupertino have been busy. More tk…..

79 Responses to “Aperture 3 Was My Idea….”

Jins says:

on February 14, 2010 at 2:49 am

For all those photographers who has 8-core CPU and 16GB Ram machines for their retouching stuff, happy Aperturing! The rest with Macbook Pro’s, stick with LR3. From a photo editing point of view, A3 has nothing LR3 doesnt have!

Stephen Nesbitt says:

on February 14, 2010 at 6:53 am

Because of Jins comment, I must say, AGAIN. I happily edit on my iMac and my (old) MacBook Pro 17″. A3 absolutely speeds along on both of these systems while LR3 is like walking through mud. Don’t listen to any nay sayers. Download your free trial. If you don’t like it, boot it. But, it has many things LR3 Beta does not have and of course a more intuitive interface.

Stuff it… I gotta ask. Jins, you said “A3 has nothing LR3 doesnt have!”. Are you sure? Or are you just a apple and / or a aperture hater?

Jeffrey Weeks says:

on February 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I read the mini-reviews by Joe and Chase Jarvis and quickly went down to the Apple store to check out Aperture 3 (A3). I spent about an hour and a half and really liked it. I was reluctant to switch to A3 because I’ve been pretty happy using Photo Mechanic with Photoshop (especially the Adobe Camera Raw module). However, Aperture offered everything in one package, and it has such cool features. Plus, I’m just an Apple guy anyway.

I purchased A3, came home, downloaded it and started building/importing part of my photo library. I use an iMac that is a couple of years old, and it has worked great. However, Aperture runs so slow on my machine, I can’t believe it. I’m not willing to upgrade computers just to switch to Aperture. Looks like I wasted $200 on buying A3.

Kevin says:

on February 14, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Looks really promising but I can’t get it to import my images without it crashing, I’m not the only one if you reference the support forum. I’ve never had an Apple product crash like this at least 6 times whilst importing. I have to keep reimporting and use the no duplicates to complete the import. I’m amazed at the lack of testing that seem to have occurred. Perhaps Apple need to increase the scale of the beta programme as Adobe do. If I relied on photography to pay my way I wouldn’t touch this with a barge pole until the bugs have been smoothed out.

Kalyan Varma says:

on February 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Yeah I have been waiting for this..and Lightroom 3 as well. I always thought you were a lightroom user and not Aperture.

Ashe says:

on February 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Heads up….

“Apple’s Aperture 3 causing significant memory leak for many users”

“Apple released Pro level Photo editing and organizing application Aperture 3 last week promising the “faces and places” of consumer level iPhoto as well as some new high end features that professionals could use.

What a lot of those Pro users got, unfortunately, was a frozen computer and an “out of disk space” warning.”

Neil says:

on February 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Who hates Lr? It has 90% of the market because it simply wipes the floor with Ap for the vast majority of users. I use it almost daily.

But read Jeffrey’s comment, and go around some of the forums. Like me, people were very excited. I’d love to go Apple and use Ap3, but after testing I’m thoroughly disappointed.
I put Lr through the ringer on a 2 yr old iMac, and it simply does the job.

Pros and even hobby shooters want a tool that works, not one that gags and crashes on a few hundred images. All the nice features Ap3 has are useless if the app can’t run on Apple’s own hardware.

If I were Apple, I’d be scrambling right now. How bad is it if loyal Apple fans are balking at Ap3?

Alasdair McBroom says:

on February 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

The new Aperture 3 gives you powerful yet easy-to-use tools to refine images, showcase your photography and manage massive libraries on your Mac. It’s pro performance with iPhoto simplicity.

Apple make joke.

Michael Marks says:

on February 17, 2010 at 11:14 am

@David Schloss

It’s not amount money. Time invested in a product far outweighs upgrade costs.

It’s about investing in a product, when you’re unsure itl continue in the future. There is a big difference between acknowledging a future version is in the works compared to a public beta. When a good number of users are concerned the product will be cancelled, you have a different problem.

Have you read Scott Bourne’s review of Aperture. My twitter feed is fill of complaints that Aperture crashes non-stop. Bourne states it crashes a minimum of every hour. I’m going to quote him, but he gets at the crux of the problem:

“What makes this particularly ugly is that Apple is mum on the problems. They offer us no guidance or advice. We’re just supposed to suffer and wait for the expected update. Will it come today, next month, a year from now? “Apple doesn’t comment on future products or updates,” says the official PR person – who by the way looks a whole lot like one of the monitors in the movie “1984.” I’m just saying…”

Milt says:

on February 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm

The only thing I had against Aperture 2 was trying to print. Lightroom 2 was much better for printing. Now with Aperture 3 it is bye bye to Lightroom. Only crash I had was while using a 3rd party plugin, and then it came back and ran great. Multiple libraries are great for organizing. It is a memory hog, but so is Photoshop. The answer to that is to add more memory. Duh!
Never could get the feel for Lightroom editing. Not to mention the ease of uploading to Mobile Me gallery.

Neil says:

on February 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Milt. So glad you’re having a good experience. I wish I had the same success, but I’m beginning to understand why I don’t.
Here’s why:
If you Control-click the Aperture Library you’ll see Open Package Contents.
Inside the package you’ll find a labyrinth of folders. Buried in the Masks folder there are tiff images of brush marks, all the brush strokes I painted on my images inside Aperture. I’m no expert but it seems that Aperture saves these tiffs and uses them as masks to effect the various images adjustments I made.
No wonder it’s so slow!! It must be writing files to the HD every time I make an adjustment. Good grief. This really is a catastrophe. It means that it is impossible for Apple to speed the app up, it has to write files all over the place as you work. Lightroom, I believe, uses an entirely different method.
This would also explain the enormous size of the Aperture Library. With a total of 80 RAW images the Library is 1.4Gb, having at least 6 different versions of each image stored in the various folders!! It probably is less if you use Referenced files but still.
All this is pure conjecture, but it seems that Aperture 3 follows the same path that v2 took. I’d love to get the opinion of someone who knows more about this that I do. I’d love to hear your opinions.

Bob says:

on February 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I think Aperture 3 WILL be amazing and shows great promise. But I have to say that I am shocked Apple released Ap3 in this condition. As a software beta tester for other companies, I can wholeheartedly say that Aperture 3.0 runs like an early beta. It’s so unstable, I have reverted back to Aperture 2.

In 20 years of Apple euphoria, I have never been this disappointed with one of their products. So I wait for the update that will one day be amazing and should have been 3.0 to start with.

Apple has an amazing product on their hands but how the product was released in this condition is beyond me and shows just how much wisdom Adobe had in doing a public beta with LR. But I won’t be switching to LR because long-term, Ap3 is a far superior product and does things even LR3 doesn’t do.

I understand the benefit of Apple’s policy of secrecy with regard to consumer products like an iPhone but their pro user community deserves more. None of our plugs work because none of the developers knew it was going to be released as a 64 bit app? How does that happen Apple?

Len says:

on February 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I did a review of Aperture 3 versus Lightroom. Aperture 3 shows great promise, but they needed to do a public beta to iron out the bugs, performance, and usability problems.

Having said that, I will probably buy Aperture for the first time for my home/personal use because of the video support. I will continue to use Lightroom for my professional photography work.

You can read my review on my photo-gadget blog at

Bob says:

on February 24, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Aperture 3.01 has now been released and it seems to be MUCH better. Wish this had been the initial version.

Now I can get back to enjoying this great app. No doubt an atypical and bumpy release but thanks Apple for a great product.

Chip Py says:

on February 25, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I wouldn’t want to associate my name with this software. Folks are calling it the iToyota! Took days to load and reconfigure. And all you got was software full of quirks that crashed your computer and didn’t work.

I got a couple jobs this weekend and I have to spend the day getting this software off my computer and reconfiguring all my images back to Ap 2. All that time is non billable.

Thank you Apple for taking my hourly rate down to minimum wage!

Chip Py

Bogdan says:

on February 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Maybe a bit late to the party…
Been using A3 for about a week on my MacBook Pro. No crashes so far and the speed is OK (maybe 5-10 % faster than A2). The only thing leaving me wanting is the lack of 64 bit support for the plugins I regularly use.

So far so good…

Just so we’re clear, A3 was MY idea. Period. :-)

Bogdan

David Riecks says:

on February 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

There are some real concerns regarding how Aperture 3 is writing metadata; especially when these files are viewed by other applications in an imaging workflow.

Those using Aperture to write metadata to files that will be used with other programs at some point in their workflow need to do some testing to make sure that their metadata is still visible. If you do additional work in Photoshop or Lightroom, and then archive your images using other programs, there is a risk of having some or all of your metadata disappear. This is because other programs may not see (recognize) the information you are adding to your images with Aperture 3. In addition, if you are importing images that have been worked on in other programs, some of that metadata may not be recognized or stored within Aperture.

You should really be concerned if you are fully using the various metadata fields, such as the Rights Usage Terms, Location fields, or geo-tagging your images, as many of these fields (and others), are not showing up in Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, Photo Mechanic, or Expression Media, after being exported from Aperture 3.

I have put an article titled “Apple Aperture 3 Metadata Issues” on my site (http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/aperture3.html) that you can read if you want to find out more. Including is a link to a chart that maps out what is seen and what is lost or hidden in JPEG, TIFF, DNG and proprietary NEF files when viewed in other applications.

David

Meghan says:

on February 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Argh. I completely do not believe anyone who says they are running A3 fine on an “old” computer. Stephen Nesbitt: Not buying it. BEsides, LR3 is still a beta which means it will only be better when the real version is released.

There are waaaay more reports of people having issues with 4GB of RAM. I DO like the new features but I am not in a position to spend $3,000 just so I can use A3. It’s not -that- earth shattering.

Aperture 3 just crashed my computer 5 times in a row and now I can’t even open it at all without it crashing my entire system. I really have an “old” computer. It’s a 2007 iMac with 2GB of RAM. Yeah, I’d like some more RAM even to run LR. But even when LR get bogged down it doesn’t take me 5 whole minutes to do minor editing on one photo.

I also have to laugh–out of context maybe–at all of the A users who complain about having to switch modules on LR. You press one letter and the module switches instantaneously. With A3 I am waiting 5 seconds. Sure. Right. Laugh at my computer. But the fact is that Apple is NOT going to win back the hordes of LR customers if the only way to get A3 to run as it should is to buy a new computer. Which means the LR community will only continue to grow. With such an iffy product, iffy costumer service, iffy respect for users: Apple is only giving the message that, eventually, they are going to give up on us. So why bother switching?

Great quote, Michael Marks. That pretty much sums it up!

lottadot says:

on February 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I too have been using A3 since it came out publicly. Primarily on a Mac Pro. Sometimes on my MacBook Pro, but not often (disk drive on it is _slow_). No crashes. No problems. Annoyances — the built-in flickr needs help. My prior Flickr plugin’s only 32 bit, so I either suffer through the in-built or relaunch in 32 bit to use the old ones. Over time the Flickr situation will be remedied.

Ben says:

on March 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Lucky! Wish I got to help with Aperture 3, and yeah it sure is awesome. Downloaded it first-day and have been loving it since — library merging!!! I work with another photographer with 1 workstation and 2 laptops — that saved me tons of time roundtripping projects. LOVE Aperture 3!!!

Len says:

on March 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I edited five images in Lightroom and then I edited the same images in Aperture 3. It took 12 minutes in Lightroom and 15 minutes in Aperture 3. I videoed the tests and you can see the videos by going to my website http://www.lenspoden.com/photo-topics.

I also updated my Aperture 3 review. The more I use it, the more I like it. Aperture’s performance is the only thing keeping me from jumping ship. As I mentioned before, I will be using Aperture 3 for my personal photographs and videos. So stay tuned.

Phototainable says:

on March 11, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I have to side with the majority of comments here, Aperture 3 performs like a very early beta, infact worse than the LR3 public beta. I can say that I have been a very loyal Apple user and have praised the benefits of using a Mac to family and friends, but I cannot frankly find many good thinks to say about Aperture3. It ran incredible slow on my iMac core duo, it was virtually impossible to used the brushes tools, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. Sure the brushes now work almost instantly on a quad core 27″ imac with 8 gig of ram, however wait till you try to export images. Exporting webpages is unbelievably slow, even exporting jpegs is slow. I attempted to export 59 images at 7″ wide 150 dpi, resulting average file size of 250 kb, and it took 42 minutes to export 14.2 Mb’s of jpegs. I could go on but it’s frankly a waste of energy, Aperture 3 has some very promising features yet the whole package has been implemented extremely poorly. I’m not going to invest anymore time and money into Aperture right now and will be looking to move to Adobe products!

Anil Sharma says:

on May 4, 2010 at 6:57 am

I lot os people are complaining that Aperture 3 is very slow – it’s not. It work’s perfectly on my 2GB, 2.26 Ghz Macbook Pro. However, when I first upgraded from Aperture 2 to 3, I was shocked at its slow speed. This is what I finally did to fix it – http://www.anil.biz/site/2010/05/mac-aperture-3-speed-increase/ – and since then, it’s been a dream ! Hope it helps !

Mike Smith Jersey says:

on May 28, 2011 at 1:37 am

Someone I profession with visits your blog quite again and recommended it to me to comprehend too. The letters craze is great and the happiness is interesting. Thanks in the interest of the percipience you lay down the readers!