Bless Me Father Bob…..

Jan 4

In Stories at 7:53am

You know, it’s a new year, and it’s time to download the card, freshen up the pixels, clean the lens elements and confess all those photographic sins, which for me, really, are too numerous to count or catalog. As 2009 faded in the rear view mirror, I figured it was time to see Father Bob.

Here’s what I propose. Write in about your most egregious photographic sin of the last year, decade, whatever. We’ll cruise the comments and pick out the 5 best whoppers and put them up on the blog with, uh, some commentary within a couple of weeks. The 5 most colorful or unusual screw ups, missed exposures, bad calls, blown jobs, or lollapalooza mistakes….be they as simple as leaving the lens cap on, or as serious as shooting Canon:-)…we’ll send an autographed copy of Hot Shoe Diaries. Determining the 5 “winners” is solely at the discretion of the management.

Now, these are sins committed with a camera in your hands, or at least nearby. If you had one of those production jobs in Vegas, and the model didn’t show up, and the permits weren’t valid, and the rental car battery went dead, and the client was a screamer, and you were so distracted you shot the whole day for this big movie poster on jpeg basic….and that night you decided to ease your suffering by shooting and starring in your own personal version of Hangover, well, the details of those evening endeavors, as they say, should remain in Vegas.

(Shot entirely on Nikon’s D3s by Drew Gurian and Will Foster).

More tk…

246 Responses to “Bless Me Father Bob…..”

Greg says:

on January 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Cold is it?

Linda Taylor says:

on January 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

This year, I finally feel that I can join the (photographic) party. Last year, I read books, took classes and seminars this past year, including one of yours and experimented. My BIGGEST mistake was talking to my husband about equipment I was ‘thinking’ of purchasing. He is a very generous man, and before I knew it, I had very expensive lenses (whether I needed them or not) that came with cases, WITH extra cases, cables, etc., because the website recommended these accessories. He’s quite the shopper and took every recommendation of the seller. So now, I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT and rent the equipment and accessories that I want to try out and buy them myself.

David says:

on January 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Bless me Father Bob and Joe; I have committed photographic sins, and I don’t plan to stop.

I work for a smallish market television station as a news photographer. No, that’s not the sin I’m confessing. I admit it, I’m a newsman. The television news industry is in a pretty good …. funk right now, and in order to make ends meet up in the accounting office, some things had to go. No more photogs, everyone is a multimedia journalist — a one man band. Joe, it’s difficult to run a video camera, get good audio, interview someone, frame the shot …. and always use a tripod.

I’m terrible–a careless photographer, a rotten one man band. I routinely shoot interviews and b-roll, wide shots, tight shots–I even get into the telephoto part of the lens–all without a tripod. People move when they’re being interviewed. Stuff in the field happens fast, and if I try to be both a good photographer and a mediocre (at best) reporter, I miss good shots with my camera strapped to a tripod.

Ugh, I’ve never admitted…. I could be fired or at least be up for a corrective interview. It happens to others quite often. Once they get written up in the ops report a couple times for shaky or crooked video, they end up in the boss’s office watching a dub of their sins.

I used to be a good photographer, but now as a M-M-J, one man banding all over the countryside, I’m forced to cut corners and become a sinner–but occasionally I get the shots I expect of myself.

So there you go. My sin is shooting video and putting it on the air, video that represents my TV station, often without a tripod. Please don’t pick me as a winner as I would have to show off my autographed copy of “Hotshoe” at work–and have some explaining to do.

Thanks for the blogging Joe,
-David

sample: http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/news/local/80707382.html

Conrad Rowe says:

on January 7, 2010 at 12:19 am

You need to find a Job. A real job. You guys have to much time on your hands.

Gabriel says:

on January 7, 2010 at 1:09 am

Loved it. Hilarious. Thank ya again show for showin’ us poor sinnin’ photographers the way o’ it. I couldn’a do no better meself. :) I thought that perhaps there was a touch of Father Ted in the flavor of the film. Thanks again for your blog (and the books), I really appreciate and value your sharing what you know.

-Gabriel

Kort Duce says:

on January 7, 2010 at 2:18 am

Last year on Dec. 9, 2009, I was involved in a big SNAFU.

I was shooting a marketing and advertising photography campaign in an undisclosed location in Wyoming when the main lodge caught on fire. Thankfully no one was hurt, but the other professional photographer and I lost 5 days of photography and our pride. The fire started in the chimney of the old rustic lodge less than 10-feet from our computer stations in the middle of the night.

A big lesson was learned. Never store your backup drive near your source drive. Never. No excuses. Period.

We had to re-shoot everything we had photographed in the previous five days. It sucked.

On top of all this, I shared a small cabin with my assistant so I stored all my camera gear (Nikon), studio equipment (Elinchrom) and computer equipment (Apple Mac Pro, 23″ Cinema Monitor, MacBook Pro, Lacie duplicator, printer, etc…) in that tinderbox.

At 4 a.m. the marketing director woke us up to tell us there was a problem. We were helpless as we watched the volunteer fire department fight the blaze.

I lost my pride and all my business equipment that allowed me to operate and earn money. Thankfully I am insured. My camera, computer and business equipment will be replaced.

Losing five days of photography for a client in a freak accident like this was not good. I was speechless as I watched 20-30 flames shoot out the windows. I had to borrow and rent equipment from friends to complete the job.

I will now sleep with my external backup drives on the road and at my home office will have at least 3 backups of my archive stored in at least 2 different locations. Two at the office and one set at a friends house. I would probably sleep with one set in bed, but my better half would not approve of that.

At any rate, good riddance to 2009 and many welcomes to 2010. Happy New Year!

Peter Caty says:

on January 7, 2010 at 10:48 am

I think I’ve done it all:

Shoot in broad daylight at ISO 1600, drop a hard drive chalk full of 250 gb of my photos (thankfully it was backed up), drop a lens out of a back pack, screw up developing film on a breaking news assignment, etc.

My worst one was this year. I’m a young photographer and the equipment lust got to me. You see, while I have used professional camera bodies before, I’ve never owned one. So I decided to get me a used Nikon D2H from Adorama, plus a 35mm f/1.8 DX to complete the ensemble.

BAD MOVE.

I’m not here to knock Nikon because the body was made like a tank and the ergonomics of the camera were awesome, but alas, the image quality was stuck in 2003. ISO 400 looked like ISO 1600 on my 40D, and I’m not going to try and describe what ISO 1600 looked like (maybe it’s worse than ISO 100,000 or whatever on the D3s, ouch. I returned it of course.

I’ve learned not to succumb to the want of a pro camera just because it is a pro camera. Lesson learned.

Irene Jones says:

on January 7, 2010 at 11:48 am

Love the video! My husband (computer programmer, not a photographer) watched it with me and didn’t get half the jokes. I love it when I know something he doesn’t since that rarely happens. Very funny stuff. Also the comments on this blog made me feel great about myself! The worst thing I’ve done this year is forget to change the ISO back to 200 from 1600 when I went from a dark interior dressing room to a bright outdoor ceremony. Nothing a that couldn’t be fixed.

If I did have to list the worst thing I’ve ever done it would have to be not charging enough to shoot a wedding. I just graduated college and I didn’t think I could ask for what I was really worth. During this shoot I unloaded a roll of infrared film in daylight. I did it and immediately realized what I had done and tried to throw it in the light proof bag as fast as possible. Too late of course, the film looked with Swiss cheese after it was processed. I just turned to the client (after I took the film out), apologized for being an idiot and started over with a new roll. She wasn’t upset at first but a few weeks later she was mad, called me incompetent and demanded I return her deposit. I said “No.” She threatened legal action. I said, “You signed a contract, feel free to take it to a lawyer. You’ll pay him more then you paid me to hear him say you don’t have a case.” Keep in mind she didn’t loose anything because we reshot right after it happened. Lesson learned. Charge market value. The bargain basement customers will always be more of a hassle then they are worth!

Irene Jones says:

on January 7, 2010 at 11:50 am

Forgot to mention, my bad customer with the infrared film: that happened a decade ago. I think I’m doing pretty well since I have nothing else to confess since then. :) Thanks for your wonderful blog. Love what you do!

lisa says:

on January 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It’s so unfair that so few get so much talent!

SilberStudios says:

on January 7, 2010 at 6:27 pm

hilarious video Joe! I’ll make sure to pass it along to all the other “sinners”…

Miguel says:

on January 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Went to a event and decided to take the camera to make a few pictures.
I wanted to travel light and decided to remove the battery grip
(were i had the only battery for the camera)

I believe you all can guess want happened next.

Cesar says:

on January 9, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Hi,

I have to confess that I´m a big sinner. Sometimes I left at home the most important piece of equipment you can put in your bag: Attitude. I get lazy and don´t light the subject the proper way, and try to fix it later in photoshop. Spending more time at the computer, with something I could have fixed in 5 minutes at “the moments it clicks” :-)

Now I have meet you, father bob and saint joe, You two are a wonderful people, you cheer me up. Folks keep that way

jonathan lim says:

on January 9, 2010 at 7:52 pm

there are quite a few amusing incidents for me this year..

1. forgot to leave dessicants in a new camera bag and ended up getting mould in one of my lenses due to shooting indoors and outdoors repetitively(condensation.. =( )

2. sat on a bunch of sd cards with abt 9gb of pics from an event shoot(meaning no retakes).. definitely had an unhappy boss..

Dave McLane says:

on January 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Last year’s major self-assigned project was to journey across the country interviewing and shooting photos of people in small towns to document how they were doing in these hard times. The last few weeks of getting ready was spent in outfitting a travel trailer, repacking the bearings, installed a new propane tank and other non-photo stuff.

Finally the journey began at the end of May at the Mexican border. Shot workers in the cantaloupe fields, interviewed their overseers, and headed north doing the same at small towns along the way. But what with getting into the swing of things, and getting used to the heat (105 F at midnight, no aircon), I didn’t dump my cards to my laptop as I usually do and at least have a look. By the time I did, I was 250 miles away and the stuff at the start didn’t look like anything. Had to go back, reshoot, return.

So stupid. From then on, now matter who tired I was, I always looked at what I had before moving on.

Dominik says:

on January 10, 2010 at 10:04 am

Dear Father Kirst

Long, long time ago, It was in the analog times, when I worked for newspapers: I had a lot to do this day. In the afternoon I printet some bw-pictures in the darkroom. At 5 p.m. I had I assignment. Because that took me only one hour I let the photochemistry in the open trays. I was really in a hurry, when I came back. I put the film in the shelf over the sink and prepared everthing for the film development: Chemistry, roll, tank and all the other stuff. I turned off the light and tried to take the film in the shelf. I touched the film with me fingertips I heard the sound of the filmroll falling in the open fixertray!

Edward says:

on January 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm

My first thought was, “Most times My just picking up a camera is probably the biggest sin of all, possibly a crime against Photography”. Then I asked myself, why that would be. Lots of blurry or soft images. Grainy High iso shots. Well, those can be fixed much of the time… I own a tripod. It’s not a Gitzo headed, Carbon fiber, do it all Photographers dream. But, It’s solid, heavy, the leg locks work well, and I own it. So my photography sin, at least one of the bigger ones, is neglect. Neglect of one of the most simple tools in Photography. The simple (heavy, awkward… stop it) sturdy Tripod.

Rachel Sandman says:

on January 10, 2010 at 10:34 pm

My biggest sin was not paying close enough attention to all the action at an event. I was photographing cubmobile racers coming down the ramp when the boy furthest from me started losing control. I was so busy watching him that I didn’t notice the boy closest to me also lost control and was headed straight for me! By the time I saw him, the only thing I could do was ditch the camera to keep from bashing him in the head with it. He ran me down, the camera still works, but I didn’t get the shot. Worked a wedding that night, too!

Craig says:

on January 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm

My most memorable sin happened over 35 years ago, and the memory haunts me to this day. I was a student at Southern Illinois Univiersity in the Spring of 1974, and had just landed a spot as a staff photographer for the university daily newspaper. The ’70s were filled with new stories of student protests, and there was lots of campus unrest. However, this story revolves around the undressed.

If you’re old enough to remember streaking, you’ll be able to relate to my story. For the youngsters though, streaking is the sport of taking off all of your clothes and then running naked through a crowd. (Actually, it’s still one of my favorite spectator sports.)

At the peak of the passtime in 1974, SIU was named as the streaking capitol of the US by WLS radio in Chicago. On this sunny, Friday afternoon, most students had decided that streaking (and streaker watching) was a better use of their time, so the quad was packed and the classrooms were empty. Myself and another photog immediately headed to the scene to cover the breaking news.

As soon as we arrived, a group of coeds decided to strip down and go frolicking in the pond. I immediately went to work capturing this new-worthy event with my second camera equipped with a 300mm lens. All went well (actually, I though it was going really well) until I noticed the frame counter was well past 40 frames. (If you remember streaking, you may also remember that the longest rolls of 35mm film only provided 36 exposures.)

Oops!(#@#%%@@!f*&*^*^^) A quick spin of the rewind knob confirmed my worst fear… in my enthusiastic quest to cover the uncovered news, I’d forgotten to put film in the camera.

Irjohn Junus says:

on January 13, 2010 at 3:53 am

Mine would be to having allowed myself mcnallized, I used to shoot only landscape with natural lights before I read THSD!

Dear Father Bob, may you consider to change Joe’s penance. Condemn him to swap his lighting kits with NDs…let there be less light…

james says:

on January 13, 2010 at 10:16 am

I started shooting in South Beach in the 90’s. I was a make-up artist and this particularly attractive women, had asked me to take some pictures of her, for her book. She came into studio looking fabulous and after hair and make-up, which I did, we began shooting. As usual after the second roll she started really loosening up and the shots were feeling good. This was before digital and back in those days you really didn’t know, until the trip to the lab. So I am loading the third roll and she says “Hey do you mind if we do some nudes?” I think I kept a straight face when I said, “well, I guess it would be ok”. So I start shooting while she slowly undresses. As she dropped her shirt I cranked the lever moving to the next frame, I noticed it was tight and I had run through another roll, but everything looked perfect and I just knew there was another frame on that roll! So I forced the lever, and low and behold, broke the lever on the camera (the only camera I had). Now that’s not my sin so much as acting like nothing had happened and continued to keep shooting. After what may have been 15 or 20 minutes she made a comment about how amazing my camera was, to have been able to have so many frames available in it, to not have to add another roll.

Christian says:

on January 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Dear father Bob and Joe: May I recomend this lovely church for your next confession: http://www.christianhandl.com/Unterebene1/Gedankensplitter/nikonchurch.htm

Greetings !

Christian

David Wallk says:

on January 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I really enjoyed your video with Father Bob, I really appreciate it after having seen your videos on lighting and attending your seminar from Kelby Training and your books. Maybe your next video will be with Father Scott Kelby. I think unless you have seen your work and have photography knowledge can you really can’t enjoy it.

Dafydd Jones says:

on January 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm

This is an old sin along a well travelled path. It is a sin I have committed before this and after this and that I have full confidence I will commit it again someday. It was, I believe, the fall of 2005, and I had driven from home in Bucks County, Pa, to New Hampshire for the weekend. Peak fall colors had passed but there was still a lot of color lying around. I chose a shot looking into an inky black creek bottom way out in the woods with plenty of fall colors in the picture. I shoot large format so I worked hard to get everything right: don’t fall into the creek, keep my reflection out of the way, don’t tip the camera into the creek, etc. I finally got it set up, metered carefully, and fired. Immediately after shooting the second sheet, necessary in case I didn’t quite meter perfectly, I realized that I had, as is the practice with large format, opened the aperture all the way to focus but then had forgotten to stop down to the reading I had metered. Since I had chosen a relatively long exposure I had cooked the film good and proper (maybe 6 or 7 stops) and the only appropriate processing involved a trash can. I turned to my bag for another holder and discovered it was my last holder of color film. Since I was only there for the weekend my nearest replacement film was 360 miles away in Pennsylvania. I really really wanted that shot and thought about driving home the next day and then doing a one-day marathon to New Hampshire and back for my shot. Since the creek and leaves would be there every year I decided to wait through a year of repentance and then re-shoot. Two weeks later a confluence of rain storms flooded the area so badly that 8 miles of state highway were washed clean away in a neighboring town and my creek was scoured to its base. It’s now just another gravelly creek in the woods. So I believe I have already paid my penance for the sin of failing to stop down after focusing. For that time, anyway.

Daniel Solorio says:

on January 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Hi Joe;

This is a superb, totally hilarious post, i’m wondering what my grandma (Hardcore Catolic) would say about it.

My sin father Joe:

Last year i pursued to shoot full access in a flamenco gig, with an spanish guy “el pipa” here in my city, through some friends, i got to shoot a quick portrait and a class he gave in a local academy, and i got access to the main gig. Well i have two photo packs, so i moved the camera and what i may need to the small one plus, lightstand, umbrella and few speedlights. Right at the beginning of the show i found out that i forgot to bring CF Cards, lucklily i had a 4gb one used (erased some pictures), the show was so intense that i shot 2gb in raw in the first 30min or so, then 1gb in jpeg large fine, then 500mb jpeg large good, then 250mb jpeg medium fine, the rest in small medium, and 20 pictures or so with my iphone. What i hate most about it is that, i don’t know if the same happens to you but i always get the best pictures towards the end, and this turns to be also the smaller ones.

Thxs for sharing take care.

Daniel

Gard Gitlestad says:

on January 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I have done many screw-ups of varying magnitudes, however few of them can compete with the really spectacular ones that you folks have come up with here.

However, there is one thing which I feel extra bad about. It’s not one of those classic mess-ups; everything went according to plan.

This happened when I brought one of my cameras to school to document a science project. No fancy gear, just a D40 with a 16-85 and an SB-800 on it (yeah, on-camera flash. That’s another sin right there). However, that was more than enough to impress my classmates. After answering “how much did it cost?” and “why is that thing pointing into the ceiling?” countless times, one guy wanted to try the camera. So I hand him the thing, and he holds it at arm’s length, point-and-shoot-style. I kind of regret what I’m doing as I wait for him to click the shutter.

Then it happens. He pulls the trigger. I hear the click of the shutter and the surprisingly loud pop of the flash, followed by a scream of agonizing pain, and a terrified “I can’t see! I can’t see!”

Anybody guessed what I did yet?

Yup, I had turned the flash 180 degrees around and dialed in full damn power. All of which was blasted right into the guy’s eyes.

He looked completely shocked the the next couple of hours. I felt a little cruel – but his dazed thousand-yard stare was completely priceless.

Henrik Delfer says:

on January 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

My biggest screw-up of 2009… there are so many, making it hard to choose, but I think this one takes the prize:

I had just invested in a nice (and expensive) light meter. Despite the fact that many say: “we need no stinkin incident light meters”, I had the opportunity to work with a friend, that absolutely nailed exposure in the most ridiculous of lighting setups, time and time again, using a light meter… so I thought getting one would be a great idea.

I used it for a while just measuring outdoor lighting for portraits and the like – and absolutely loved it.

One day – I decided I would test it out with flash. I work mostly with off camera flash, and being a Nikon kinda guy… I am still waiting for Pocketwizard to release the Nikon versions of their MiniTT1 and FlexTT5. Until then, I’ve been using an additional SB-900 to pre-trigger my remote flashes, and despite the limitations of distance and placement, it’s served me well.

I borrowed my daughters teddy-bear, set up a background on a table, mounted a SB-900 in a small softbox, and got all ready to try the metering out with flash.

Not using a sync cable, I picked a mode on the light meter, that makes it wait for the flash then do a measurement, and tell me what f-stop to use at any given shutter and ISO.

Walked over to the camera set the flash for 1/64 power, and shot a frame. Hmmm… had to pick ISO 1600, 1/60s and f:2.8, weird thing… exposure looked reasonably OK on the LCD, and camera was set at ISO 200, 1/125s, f:5.6. Dang – something was REALLY wrong.

I upped the power on the flash to 1/32, and got the very same measurement?? Again full release on the flash (1/1) I got the same measurement. Now that didn’t make any sense at all. Went outside with the flash on the camera and did a few test shots of various things, measurements were perfect and dead on, every time.

Went back inside, and still got ISO 1600, 1/60s and f:2.8. I did a reset to factory default in the camera as well as the light meter, switched out the flash for a different one, and another one again… removed it from the softbox, to do just ANYTHING to get anything other than ISO 1600, 1/60s and f:2.8, but to no avail. I packed up, and decided to take the light meter back to the store the following day. All finished packing up, hitting the kitchen for a cup of mocha. and it hit me…

THE DAMNED PREFLASH!!!

That was what I had been measuring all the time with the off camera flash. The Preflash was enough to trigger the light metering as well, so I measured the light of the preflash, not my key light!

DANG I felt stupid. Had spend hours on this, and made SUCH a stupid mistake. To make matters worse… the teddy bear has never forgiven me, forcing him to sit for 2-3 hours on a white piece of seamless.

There are ways to go about solving this… but I don’t recall ever feeling SO stupid before!

With best regards

Henrik Delfer

Jack says:

on January 17, 2010 at 8:55 am

Well, sins, sins:

-I left the card full of pics in my pocket, then I’d put those jacket into the wasching machine.

-I let the motorbike fall on me while I was holding the camera (I took pics of those freestyle motoriders), and brand new 1D mkIII turned into… Well, two 1D’s :D

-Oh, and last but not least, I USE CANON GEAR ;)

Alvin Kim says:

on January 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm

My sin and biggest regret is simple:

I didn’t take enough photos. My Flickr photostream suffered as a result. Mr. McNally, I’ve followed your blog for the past three years and absorbed it all. I’ve read all the Strobist posts. I’ve googled how to make DIY photo gear…. But the only thing I didn’t do was try things out for myself. I bet if I just tried to replicate one of your photos, I’d learn so much more than ONLY trying to read about it. And I never made any of that DIY crap either.

Practice. Practice.

I didn’t do it. So my resolution this year: be deliberate with the photos I take instead of snapping photos of nothing, try replicating my favorite photos, and get paid for my photos :-) .

Omari Stephens says:

on January 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Howdy from Google, Joe and Drew.

My greatest sin was using (and continuing to use) a cheap lens strap a couple years ago. I rarely shoot with a neck strap, and so I found a nice, convenient detachable strap that would let me use a strap when I needed it, and shoot without that thing getting in the way when I didn’t.

I should have known something was up when it would sometimes detach a bit when I tugged on it. Of course, that wasn’t under normal conditions, right? And either way, it only happened while I was holding the camera.

Fast forward a few weeks. I borrowed a $1500 (at the time) 17-35/2.8 and stuck it on my body with my strobe on the hot-shoe as well. It was business as usual until I took my hands off the camera for a moment and the whole shebang hit the concrete floor, lens-first. Oh @#$%!

I thought to myself “it’s professional equipment, it can’t be that bad, can it?” Indeed, the glass was fine and I kept shooting a bit. Then I went to zoom and… @#$%, that’s not right. A week or so later, my organization took it to the repair shop, where it was deemed a total loss. We left it there for parts.

Lesson learned: pay attention to the warning signs, and don’t cheap out on the safety equipment.

Patrick Delany says:

on January 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm

So, okay, I know this is an old post. But, I know I am confident that I have something stupid enough confess to now. Tonight, I shot my town’s high school wrestling match. I’m in my second year doing this. First, I couldn’t figure out why the pictures were so dark. I thought the flash wasn’t firing so I took off the flash bracket and the SC-28, figuring there’s a problem there (after triple checking the connections). Didn’t work. Next I tried upping the ISO, slowing the shutter, and zeroing the EV on the flash, nothing. Then I realize I must have played with the camera EV setting last time and sure enough, -5.0 EV. So I dial it down to zero and tried again. Finally, an exposure that looked presentable in the LCD (I know, don’t judge from the LCD). So, I start merrily shooting away, but I notice varying exposure issues as the shooting continues. I keep trying to adjust the light metering from spot, to center weighted, to matrix, but the exposures still vary. I shoot the rest of the bout continually trying to play with settings. Finally match done, go home, download the pix. I start looking in View NX when it hits me like a soaking wet, cold towel in the face, I had left bracketed shots (5) on from the other day, while trying for some HDR exposures of a filtered sunset. Idiot! Now I get to look forward to lots of PP to try and save some shots for the kids. I hope I learn and don’t make that mistake twice. I’m glad food and the mortgage doesn’t depend my photog skills yet. Joe, you pros make it all look so easy, thanks for the continued inspiration.

Laurie-B says:

on January 28, 2010 at 6:01 pm

What a hoot!
Thanks for the laughs.

Nick McAlinden says:

on January 31, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Well,

A couple of years ago, I was working in the Whitsundays, Queensland Australia. A fantastic place to work and too many fun places to play!! It was State of Origin night, (The toughest game of Rugby League on the Planet between NSW and QLD) and I had a wedding to shoot the next day at 3pm on Daydream Island. Not a problem, I lived on the island so even if I had a fairly late night I could sleep in and still have a clear head for the shoot!!

Well, I ended up getting a ferry to the Mainland to watch it with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while. I was running late so I drove my car down and got a Rockstar Carpark right out the front of the venue which was good as I had all my camera gear locked in the boot of my car. I like to keep it close by and in sight!! Anyway I got my new D300 out to take a few shots in the bar and after about 30 minutes I put it back in my pelican case, locked in the boot of my car.

About 2 hours later we all went to another bar and to cut a long story short I had way to many beers and decide to go home. (Not to sure what time)

Anyway I woke up very shady at about 9 and went down to get my car parked, there it was just where I left it. So I opened my boot to get out the pelican case and put it in the car with me, and much to my dismay the case was open D300, 24-70 2.8 and SB-800 missing and the contents in a bit of disarray!!

If I wasn’t white already then I bet I looked ghost like then!!! I had another camera body, lenses and flash unit but was absolutely devastated!! The boot lock looked damaged so I went straight o the police station to report it.

After half an hour going through a lot of info with the local police I had to leave to catch a ferry out to the Island for my wedding. Just after I got in my car my phone rang, I answered it, was a friend who was a local DJ at the nightclub I was last at.

He says “Hey man would you like your camera back?” There must have been quite a pause as I processed this information cause he says “Are you there?” I said yeah, “how do you know it is missing?”

He says, “You left it with me at the DJ booth last night and didn’t pick it up, luckily my girlfriend is a photographer and said to take it home with me cause it was very expensive!!”

So i take a short drive, pick up my camera, lens and flash, thank my buddy and girlfriend and find this out;

1. Went to Dance Club.
2. Drank lots more
3. Met girls
4. Went to my car and got camera (Don’t remember this!!)
5. Took buckets of party photo’s on Dance Floor and in DJ booth.
6. Left camera with DJ to look after.
7. Forgot about it.
8. Went home.
9. Got up.
10. Got car.
11. Made False police report
12. Felt like an idiot!!

So I got the ferry, chastised myself a thousand times, showered changed charged batteries, downloaded my night of craziness and shot a great wedding!!

I learnt a valuable lesson that night, not to take my expensive camera gear that I use to make money so I can live out when I am drinking!!

At our work Christmas party later that year I received the award “For wasting police time”. I still have that laminated award on my wall as a healthy reminder.

Nick

body talk says:

on May 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I’m not expert, yet thepage looks to be your post has a problem with some of the photos on the page b/c when the browser opened your website in FireFox all it did was get one box showing a internet sign for broken image… of course, not that many people are using that Browser, so it might not be such an issue… who knows? Do you get the same thing with the broswer you are using? (I tested it with Explorer 6.0 also – let’s not even going there!) Thanks .

firearms says:

on August 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

Rather great article. I just found your blog and needed to say that I have really enjoyed exploring your blog articles. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your information aggregator and I am hoping you write again quickly!

super 8 streaming says:

on July 28, 2011 at 4:00 am

This kind of information is usually boring to me, but you have done a great job making it appealing. This isn’t boring information at all. I want to read more.