vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

Whadja Do This Weekend?

Dec 14

In Rambling at 6:51am

For me, it was a shoot fest. I was part of a three shooter team that went in on an event this weekend and just didn’t stop. Collectively, shot roughly 265 gigs.  I’m knackered, so not much of a blog for Monday, but will catch up a bit by mid week.

Just got word, actually via Scott Kelby’s blog, that The Moment It Clicks was cited by Professional Photographer as a “Hot One” for 2009. I did not know this was happening. But then again all of 2009 happened while I was finishing my rough draft of the early 90′s, so CNN needn’t be threatened by my news gathering capabilities.

picture-1

It’s cool, though I don’t ever remember me or anything I ever did being referred to as “a hot one.”  I mean, Sister Mary Regina in 6th grade used to call me “a dumb one” on a fairly regular basis, which is maybe close. She was a member of the Sisters of the Precious Blood, and she went about her day making sure it was your blood, not her’s or Jesus’ or anybody else’s that was gonna be the blood in question. About four feet tall, she would be on you so quick you thought you were dealing with a black and white ninja, and not a member of a religious order. Her version of the samurai sword was a wooden ruler she had snaked up her sleeve, and she could whip that thing so fast you woulda thought you were dealing with Travis Bickle in a habit. “You talkin’ to me?” She really took that whole “vengeance is mine” thing straight to heart.

But never a hot one. A sorry one, occasionally, and to be sure, an odd one. But hot? Cool. I’m gonna go tell Annie:-)

Couple folks asked about the screen shots in last week’s blog, and why in the published photo it looks like one big screen in the middle row, while in the others all the screens are the same size rectangle. The screens are a grid, all the same size. The published shot shown on the blog is made from a physical tearsheet from the mag. The black edges of those center screens got swallowed up in the gutter, so you don’t see it in the tear. But all the screens are the same size.

More tk…..

32 Responses to “Whadja Do This Weekend?”

Stuart Carter says:

on December 14, 2009 at 7:32 am

What did I do? I got knackered shooting two sessions. Need to get me some stamina!

The book is still on my ‘dropping heavy hints to family members’ list!

Love your blogs and little stories, Joe… keep it up!

jeremy mayhew says:

on December 14, 2009 at 8:26 am

Sister mary was just giving you tough love :-) This book is an invaluable refrence for me not only in my photography, but also how i think of my career and myself as a photographer. its ok to doubt myself, and its ok to be a little frustrated when i only have 12 seconds to do someones photo, now i feel normal when before i didn’t know how to feel.

So thanks for that Joe, thanks for writing a book(s) that makes me a better photographer in my brain, as well as a better person.

word.

Dan Milham says:

on December 14, 2009 at 9:23 am

Shot more pictures of my granddaughter…lost count months ago. Also watched the Saints stay unbeaten, barely.

Squeeker says:

on December 14, 2009 at 9:57 am

What did I do? Nothing as exciting as what you do…. but I hope it is someday for sure! =) I helped a friend with a shoot for a local cover band. Here’s a shot I snagged real quick at the end of the shoot before the band had to leave: http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeekerd1/4183003146/
And here’s the shot my friend got: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mictlan74/4182691707/

Sarah Kavanaugh says:

on December 14, 2009 at 9:58 am

AF reserve weekend. Counting down to retirement….

john jackson says:

on December 14, 2009 at 10:13 am

Congrats on the book it and your seminars have been a great inspiration. I spent the day hanging of the back of a mule(off road vehicle not mammal) shooting rolling shots of cars that wouldnt run lol

David says:

on December 14, 2009 at 10:23 am

I was part of Help-Portrait in Toronto on Saturday

Linda Brinckerhoff says:

on December 14, 2009 at 10:31 am

What did I do?
Santa Claus (aka Grandad Brinck) came to town to visit my first grandaughter Robyn (6 mos). I heard he will visit new grandaughter Leah (5 days old) today. Ain’t nuttin better than grandchildren!

BTW, Sorry I didn’t let you know since I thought you were up on all this, but I saw “Hot Shoe Diaries” on a TOP 10 List for best photography books online. I will try to track down the source for you.

Debs says:

on December 14, 2009 at 10:40 am

Bought myself another Nikon body & a Sea & Sea underwater housing to go with it!
Love The Moment it Clicks – read it (and Hot Shoe Diaries) regularly. Am always plugging them to friends/fellow togs too!

S. Allman says:

on December 14, 2009 at 11:21 am

I shot 12 portrait sessions at two sites on Saturday for help-portraits. We collectively had 111 people come through before 10am at the first site! Like you, I was beat Sunday and decided to just lay low and do some blogging about it. It was rewarding – partially because I got some great shots too. This was my second photography related event this year and I intend to do more next year.

Robin Cook says:

on December 14, 2009 at 11:23 am

What did I do this weekend? I got rained/sleeted out of 3 shoots BUT I did have a fantastic shoot in my garage in 35 degree weather with some precious bulldogs!! Here’s one of the shots

Francois Meehan says:

on December 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm

We had a fair bit of snow lately in the Montreal region, so I took advantage of it, went in the field with the dog, it got wet:

François

Mark Holloway says:

on December 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Some have even referred to you as a God, Joe.

JayM says:
on December 11, 2009 at 6:18 pm
Joe, you’re a God.

Hmm, wonder who that was?

Eric Politzer says:

on December 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Congrats Joe! Will you get a “Hotter One” for Hot Shoes Diaries?

This weekend: tried desperately to get a full audience shot at the SF Symphony from behind the orchestra with the house lights down at two concerts. crawled away thinking “who the heck are you trying to fool here?!?!?!”

Kevin Blackburn says:

on December 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm

We did the Help-Portrait thing it was great

Rob Byron says:

on December 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Joe, trust me. The book should absolutely be listed as a “Hot One. It’s just that good. The only “hot one” I ever had was a fart and, trust me, it wasn’t good for anyone.

This weekend? Did the Help Portrait thing. Good times!

Frank Burch says:

on December 14, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Busy week for me. Monday I attended a PhotoShop seminar with Dave Cross. Flew to Mumbai,India on Wednesday and returned to Phoenix on Saturday. Picked up a new Wacom tablet over the weekend.

Paul says:

on December 14, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I shot a family whose parents were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary. Maybe not an exciting photo shoot, but we had some great conversations.

Dave Prelosky says:

on December 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm

It came to me in a flash of enlightenment that the cast would come off my broken wrist today and I’d better round up the stuff I’ve loaned and refresh the camera batteries so I can get back in the saddle tomorrow. Six weeks off has been no joy..

Andrei says:

on December 14, 2009 at 4:29 pm

It is great book indeed! Thank you for sharing your expertise, you are a generous man. I’ve learnt a lot from it.

Now I am going through Hot Shoe Diary. For a Canon user the Diary may seem to be written in cryptic language. It makes it even more intereseting to decypher all the Nikon clan secrets.

David Schlier says:

on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Help-portrait in the AM Sat (which was pretty cool), a cat shoot and then sang in a concert Sat evening. And another Sunday afternoon.

I have ‘The Moment It Clicks’ and hopefully will get ‘The Hot Shoe Diaries’ for Christmas! Good chance, considering I bought it for my wife to wrap for me…

Bob Harrington says:

on December 14, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Ran a quickie four hour on-camera flash workshop at my friend’s studio here in CT. Then spent time processing: the bane of the digital photographer.

Patrick Delany says:

on December 14, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Shot the 2009 Santa Speedo Run in Boston with several Bokonians on Saturday. What a hoot (and a lot of fun)!

Boston Photographer | MWynne says:

on December 15, 2009 at 10:29 am

Congratulations on the recognition from Professional Photographer!

Carol Lundeen says:

on December 16, 2009 at 2:31 am

Tried to put a holiday hat on my black and white cat. Imagine that.

nickyQ says:

on December 16, 2009 at 3:19 am

Wonderful weekend,i just want to stay at home and sleep、watch movie

Chris Davis Cina says:

on December 18, 2009 at 1:38 pm

You are a “Hot One” Joe. I told Andy I’d leave him in a second for you. The best I get is listening to a voice message on my answering machine that says, “Hi Andy. This is just Joe McNally.” JUST Joe McNally!!!!! Swoon. Faint.

I listen to it over and over. (perhaps I should take more pictures and spend less time reading your blog)

You deserve the “Hot One” title – that’s the BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN!

jakob says:

on December 18, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Love that book! Have a gr8 weekend!

Jakob

Evan Spellman says:

on December 20, 2009 at 12:02 am

I’m gettin it soon, saw it before and should have could have kinda thing but didn’t going to now though.
Moose Peterson really raves about it big time.
PS thanks for the video’s on Nikon’s website to do with Strobe’s and color. you know the 2 one’s in the western Bar scene and the one with the Dancers.
Great stuff really informative.
Back to the book, thanks for doing it and happy it’s Hot Stuff !

Best in 2010

Evan

Laura Dickinson says:

on December 20, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Congrats on being the “Hot One”!!! Woo hoo!

My 6th grade teacher, also named Sister Mary Regina, taught us how to sing and read Latin music, but called us all dummies too. My piano teacher, Sister Mary Ruth used to whack my hand with a ruler when I missed a key. My 1st grade teacher Sister Mary Zita used to put me on the dunce chair with the gum I was chewing on my nose. My 2nd grade teacher used to tell us kids, “I’m going to squash your head into a grease-spot!” My 3rd grade teacher used to throw erasers at us (the large white ones). It’s a wonder I’m not locked up now.

Ron Scholefield says:

on December 20, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I signed up for your workshop, Let There Be Light, in Kuala Lumpur, for
6 February. (That’s what I’ll be doing on that weekend.)
Warm regards,
Ron
Hong Kong

randy baran says:

on January 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

st. ansel and the nine zones! you guys are sick! loved it!