Workshop at the Bank, Day Three….

Oct 15

In Seminars & Workshops at 3:45pm

Classic Jay: “Carry a camera. It’s tough to take pictures without one.”

timesquare

He ain’t talking about an Iphone either. Jay is one of the few shooters who walks it and talks it. He has his camera with him. All the time.

A frame on the screen during today’s critique. Jay turns…..”I am not amused.”

What am I getting here? A great message, apropos of the pic above. “Leave the city of your comfort and visit the wilderness of your intuition.” And, presumably, survive out there. My out there, you might imagine, is kinda, you know, out there.

Duane Michaels lectured yesterday. Funny, brilliant man. “Find your bliss,” was the message. Walter Iooss is here today, who I described in Moment It Clicks as the coolest guy on the planet with a camera. Forget about all those guys with helmets and pads. Hope he shows supermodels:-)

More tk….

18 Responses to “Workshop at the Bank, Day Three….”

Alex says:

on October 15, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Nice photo, the spirit of New York at its best :D
It’s funny to read your adventures now from the “student” side :D
I’m enjoying them a lot :D
Thanks for the posts! :D
Greetings from Argentina.
PS: If possible, would you consider to add technical info to posts like lens used, f and shutter speed numbers?
Thanks,
Alex.

jussi says:

on October 15, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I googled walter and was amazed.. holy crap! http://walteriooss.com/

Kent says:

on October 15, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Yes…supermodels!

Lyndon Smith says:

on October 15, 2009 at 5:57 pm

It’s great to see one of the modern masters still learning from his peers. This makes me realize that photography – and the arts in general – is bigger than any one of us.

When I was a student, a music history prof told us that Beethoven, while on his death bed,lamented “I have finally learned how to write for strings,and now I must pass from this earth!”

I don’t know if that’s true, but I never forgot the quote. Life long learning. Getting better no matter how good you already are. That’s an inspiration for us all.

Have fun with Walter finishing up your week. I hope those supermodels show up!

Barbara Louise says:

on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 pm

LOVE IT !
I carry my camera around with me everywhere I go… my friends think I’m crazy… now I just have to take it out of the bag more often…

I like supermodels… any guys? ;-P

John Sturr says:

on October 15, 2009 at 7:03 pm

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. – H.S.T.

Matt Timmons says:

on October 15, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Ok I know this will sound a bit rude, but since this guy Jay is the greatest camera toter the world has ever known, is it really necessary for him to be such a dick? I mean it’s just pictures for Christ’s sake, he’s not out saving the universe. Tone it back a bit Jay, no one’s photos have to go through you for approval before they make it anywhere. I’m sure anyone can find pictures of yours that suck too.
P.S. Is he related to Steven Meisel? Steven is also a New Yorker but doesn’t seem to have the need to broadcast it.
Love your blog, Joe. Keep on doing what you’re doing because it’s cool and you deserve the respect. -M

David Brown says:

on October 15, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Great to see how humble you are about the learning process, and about the fact that there’s a lot you need to learn! It makes it easier for us mere mortals to admit, and to deal with the fact that you don’t need to know it all before you go pro.

Thanks for keeping it real.

flounderman says:

on October 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Oh no, here comes the wife. Definately in the favorites list now.

John Leonard says:

on October 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Love the posts on the workshop. It’s like you’ve come full circle in life: Gear Stolen—>Guys take offering—–>you buy 1 camera, 1 lens—–>news paper—–>streets of NY——>Magazine work—–>freelance——>Become God ‘O Lighting——>Search for something new——>Keep learning——->Attend workshop on streets of NY with 1 camera and 1 lens.

And since you’re using 1 lens now, I’ll gladly put that 200mm f/2 to use for you =)

Mike Neale says:

on October 16, 2009 at 12:02 am

Good eye, Joe,…and a difficult night capture,…well done.

Comp speaks volumes on sooo many levels,…nice!

Geoff says:

on October 16, 2009 at 12:14 am

Whoa, cool. Duane Michaels is a legend. And hey Joe, it’s really cool to see you go to school ;)

Al Kirby says:

on October 16, 2009 at 3:58 am

I noticed a complaint about the course language. Really, the idea in taking an advanced course such as this is to challenge you to give up on the the style that you feel comfortable with and G-R-O-W a little. Otherwise you would come out of his course none the wiser.

etsu says:

on October 16, 2009 at 7:41 am

Please, don’t stop sharing your wonderful experience(s)/knowledge gained from this workshop. An eye-opener!

Sincerely, thank you!

Uwe Noelke says:

on October 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Nice image with all the colored flashes. I have just read your latest book. Amazing, I’ve learned something new.

Richard says:

on October 19, 2009 at 10:52 am

Not many years in the future, all those words that distract today, will place this foto in time as they fade from the scene in the march of endless progress… everything doesn’t need to be timeless and deep; some things are placeholders to remember the flavor of today. Can’t tell you how many photographs I see from years past that evoke memories just by what’s incidentally documented in them in signs, lettering styles, ads…

andr1 says:

on October 28, 2009 at 3:32 am

Great shot. Nice to see what NY looks like. I agree it would be good if you would put in f stops etc. Like following Hello Ireland

Elisha Cardoza says:

on September 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Music, in presentation, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something.