Take Me to The River…..

May 18

In Seminars & Workshops at 7:00pm

Going back to my old studio building this summer and doing a series of lighting workshops. More basements. More loading docks, cracked windows, train tracks.  Warmer weather. We had a ball doing these last time.

Hit this link for workshop application PDF…

They’ll be running June 22, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30 & July 1.

We will have breakfast, lunch, and lights all day. Free parking. Everybody gets time behind the camera, as well as gripping for shoots, observing, talking, discussing, looking at gear and all manner of light. Minimal setups, maximum setups. We go at it all day long.

Last time, we worked high key….

We worked low key….

Lotsa lights….

We worked one light….

We worked character…..

We worked beauty….

We had firefighters…..

Boxers and trainers….

We did incredibly cute….

And sophisticated style….

Here’s what some students from our Winter ’09 session had to say:

“…My associate Karen and I did go to Joe’s seminar on Monday, the 19th, and it was spectacular!  I came away with so much information and so inspired to try new stuff, outside my comfort zone.”

“I wanted to honor your request for some feedback… problem is, I can’t really think of anything that could have been improved upon.
Things were beautifully organized.
The coffee was superb.
The facility was magical.
The crew were all top-shelf —  pleasant, accommodating and SO helpful…And of course Joe was dazzling. What a gift his work is for all of us. I had an amazing time.”

“As I am thinking about yesterday’s workshop in the warm comfort of my Manhattan apartment, I continue to be amazed how all of you were dedicated to giving us a tremendous day. On top of that, rather than increase the number of participants, you increased the number of days…THANK YOU.”

Hope to see you there…..more tk….

35 Responses to “Take Me to The River…..”

Jan Winther says:

on May 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Oh oh oh…i wish i could attend…

This looks exciting. Ill try hard to be there next time.

Luke Townsend says:

on May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm

You CAN count on my being there!

Willie says:

on May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Hey Joe

(hmmm great name for a song, that).

When are ya coming to Australia to do some workshops?

Specifically – Melbourne, Victoria. (at least this part of the country has great coffee and culture).

C’mon – get yer numnut ass down here – there are a ton of folk waiting for ya!

Cheers!!

bryan lathrop says:

on May 18, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I missed the winter round because of family obligations…in the clear this time around. Sending my app in express mail tomorrow. Yee hah!

Theis says:

on May 19, 2009 at 2:48 am

I said it before and will do it again move the hole damn thing to europe. If you come to Denmark with a show like this I will take a week of work and be a light stand :)

Hans van de Vorst says:

on May 19, 2009 at 4:54 am

Inspirational shots, can’t wait till June 6th playing with strobes in old Venice. See ya there, Hans

John Leonard says:

on May 19, 2009 at 6:31 am

Ah, I miss Dobbs. It was nice seeing some snow back in January. Great workshop, well worth the money…actually worth a ton more.

Chris Davis Cina says:

on May 19, 2009 at 10:01 am

Wish I could substantiate another workshop because it was so much fun last January. The energy and sharing in the room was worth it just in itself and then to have Joe teaching with his knowledge and sense of humor – absolutely outrageous and informative at the same time. I was the only one who was a local – everyone else came from miles away knowing how significant it was to see the Master at work. Don’t miss this fabulous experience!!!! I’ll be looking forward to reading about it every day.

Mark says:

on May 19, 2009 at 11:22 am

furiously flipping through his calendar and cancelling appointments….

Peter Pubehoover says:

on May 19, 2009 at 11:59 am

Joe, you are the man. If you do come to Australia to do a seminar/workshop, I will be there wherever it is!

Just imagine; tribal painted aborigines, kangaroos, didjeridoos, surfers, endless beaches, beautiful girls, deserts, barbeques, crocodiles, rainforests, 24 hour long-haul flights (no, wait, forget that last one!).

Marc Lanciaux says:

on May 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I went to the last class, and I have to say it was incredible. Learned more in that one class than months of books/websites/DVDs/taking bad pictures.

Doing it in warmer weather would have been my only feedback. Glad you got that covered.

Wish I could attend again!

Ozine says:

on May 19, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Joe, any chance of doing a workshop in Holland? Fabulous pictures!

Jeffrey Chapman says:

on May 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Check is in the mail. I can’t wait!

Fred M. says:

on May 19, 2009 at 7:27 pm

my check is in the mail and to say I’m excited would be a gross understatement
    I cant wait!

Kevin Ballon says:

on May 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Any chance of Toronto – or maybe Buffalo? I would absolutely love to go and will make every effort to, but being a student it is very difficult to both afford and get to NY….Help us Canucks eh!

Arun says:

on May 20, 2009 at 7:12 am

Hey Joe
    I will not be able to join you guys this time around. If anyone is considering going and has the time to do it – just go for it !! You will learn a lot from a guy who has basically shot everything all over the world and with a zillion different set ups ( and he is quite funny as well)
    I have some images on my blog from the last workshop with Joe here – http://arunpaulphoto.blogspot.com/2009/01/joe-mcnally-workshop-phenomenal.html
    Go to the Workshop and have a blast – atleast you will not be freezing this time.

Brian says:

on May 20, 2009 at 11:40 am

Joe:

Was lucky to attend your NY Adorama workshop last fall – will look forward to seeing you at the end of June.

B.

Graham McBride says:

on May 21, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Joe when are you doing this on the west coast ? We have a spare room you can stay in… G

Jackson says:

on May 21, 2009 at 7:36 pm

How will i become to like you?

wen says:

on May 23, 2009 at 5:54 pm

why in NY…why not in Los Angeles :O

Ben Yew says:

on May 23, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Looking forward for your future workshop in OZ :)

Dave says:

on May 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Check is in the mail. I can hardly wait.

Eddie says:

on May 24, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Sent in my deposit yesterday. I’ll probably be the youngest/most rookie but I’m looking forward to it.

Vedtam says:

on May 25, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I am wonderig if these workshops will be available lather on DVD??

Christine Glade says:

on May 28, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Just registered! Should be a great day.

Kjartan says:

on May 28, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Woo-hoo!
    I got the confirmation email from Lynn. I’m really looking forward to this!

cody says:

on June 3, 2009 at 9:20 am

wow the incredibly cute one scares the living bejeebees out of me.

Rolling Thunder says:

on June 3, 2009 at 10:51 am

My friend Teddy would love to go, but he hates people that tells him how to take pictures. Just for the record, he is not Chinese

Jeff Freeman says:

on June 7, 2009 at 3:38 am

Joe–

If you have any interest in coming to Portland OR (yes you can visit Laurie ;-) I’d jump at the opportunity to help organize a workshop (yes so I can attend!) … drop me a line.

Jeff

PS love the Hot Shoe Diaries…keeps me up WAAYY too late reading most every night!

Nike Kobe IV says:

on June 9, 2009 at 1:26 pm

This looks exciting. Ill try hard to be there next time.

Jeanmarie Halla says:

on March 5, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I like the layout of your blog and I’m going to do the same thing for mine. Do you have any tips? Please PM ME on yahoo @ AmandaLovesYou702