Noo Yawk

May 4

In Computer Technology, Friends, Stories at 11:05am

Knocked around the city last week with a great group of folks. Been a long time since I’ve done that, picking up a camera and wandering the streets of the city, looking for pictures. Truth be told, I’m not much of a street shooter. I’ve always needed the box of an assignment, a destination for the pictures, and some sort of narrative in my head, however hazy, that directs my efforts. But last week, out on the avenues, the boardwalks and the eateries of Manhattan and Brooklyn, it was fun.

We freelanced it a great deal. Bogging down on the lower East Side, with a guide who seemed absolutely pre-occupied with telling us why a building might have been important 100 years ago (all valid information, just not to us, cameras in hand, index fingers twitching in sync with our focus eyes, desperate for a lively frame of street life). We dismissed her and I headed us into Katz’s Deli on Houston, a place I have always had good luck shooting. Thankfully, some things don’t change, and we were welcomed.

This gentleman was checking the food tickets at Katz’s, and one of our group, Lex, had misplaced her’s. He went by the rules, not allowing her to leave, until she found the ticket. Sensing Lex’s immediate future might involve washing dishes, I looked over at the guy, and told him he reminded me of Hollywood actor Delroy Lindo, which was the truth. He relaxed a bit. I then told him that if I had an assignment to photograph my 10 most favorite, interesting faces in Hollywood, Lindo would be on my list. In lieu of getting such a job, I asked if I could take his picture. While all this was going on, Lex found her ticket.

We went out to Nathan’s on Coney Island, a place with hot dogs of such stature that the very sizable fish just plucked from the ocean will have to wait.

Closing time on the the Boardwalk. Closing time for Coney Island as we know it may be coming soon with the advent of new developments.

All in all….fun on the street.

Lessee…onto my own personal area of expertise–computer technology. This is a strength I share with my bud, Moose Peterson. We are down right now in the Outer Banks, on another DLWS adventure. He recently blogged his method of organizing files. Very cool. Good, straightforward, essential, completely boring information.

He knows all that, but it is his lot in life to explain stuff like this to folk like me, who are organizationally challenged. I have written right here in this blog that Moose is a walking, talking main frame who can accomplish more in a one hour concentrated burst of energy than I can in, say, a week. I daydream. I look up movie quotes. I stare at pictures of Annie. I make coffee. I nap.

But Moose’s folder blog really lit a fire under me. I thought, hell, I can do that. I use Aperture, a really elegant, versatile program. Just gotta figure out topics, and general headings, and load my stuff into those respective folders. Piece of cake.

This just about covers it. I feel better. I can really find stuff now…..more tk……

73 Responses to “Noo Yawk”

drew says:

on May 5, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hey Rich,

FYI, we actually do have three Drobos in the studio currently, and are in the midst of changing over completely to DroboPro and ditching our XServe.

-Drew

Ben says:

on May 5, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Organizing is a piece of art, gave me a really good laugh! – See you at DLWS in NYC in November – looking forward to that.

Tanya Plonka says:

on May 5, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I think it’s time I rethink my organizing by date, and adopt your system :)
I could really use that out of focus folder, that’s for sure.

Howard says:

on May 5, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Love the file folders. I’m telling you ahead of time, I’m stealing this system for my Aperture files. You mean to tell me that you too shot out of focus once in a while? What a relief!

Just finished reading HSD and I really enjoyed it. Each chapter taught me something new which is why I bought the book in the first place. I hope to study under you at one of your seminars one day. It is on my list of things to do before I die.

Eric says:

on May 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Hilarious!!! That fish hangin’ out of the bag, priceless.

Blake says:

on May 6, 2009 at 1:10 am

Joe, absolutely hilarious! You just made my week a lot better – thanks! PS. saving to take a class with you next year…

Malinda H says:

on May 6, 2009 at 6:09 am

Rolling on the floor laughing my butt off!
This seems so very typically of you dear sir! And I so appreciate that about you!
Nice frame of the guy with the pole catching a quick bite. LOL

My WTF was i thinking was shooting a w w w w w…. well u know, last weekend was agreeing to help shoot with the pro shooter hubs turned video guy that had to have 2 D2Hs or he just wasnt happy, turning up his nose at a poor little D70. I had to settle for it and a D200. Figures. We shoulda called Carol and gotten some cool stuff to use – like SB900s….. drool

Oh and guess who got to “post produce” those 14 gigs of files!

Robin says:

on May 6, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Great post Joe and I love your folders!
I was one of those how wanted Moose to show us how he organized his files. You guys take an abnormus (is that a word?) amount of exposures each day. The question is how you organize everything in a good way. Delete all bad exposures right after importing them and only save the good ones? I have tens of thousands files on my drive but not 10% of them are good pictures in my eyes. Do you store everything? Drew maybe knows? =)

Regards
Robin – who missed Joes visit to Stockholm. Is there another one?

john coil says:

on May 6, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Joe, I loved your file folders. Made me laugh even more than Moose’s blog about how he doesn’t use anything smaller than full frame because he depends on woodcraft, Native American skills, sneakiness, and ego to get so close to animals that the 1.5 factor is a waste for him. Then I saw his sandhill crane shots taken a half mile away with a 600mm f4 super lens. I had tears rolling down my face!

Keep the faith, John

Mike Ignatov says:

on May 6, 2009 at 10:31 pm

What no folder for “brilliant shit” ? Now I’m suspecting that’s doctored.

LisaNewton says:

on May 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Why don’t you love shooting in the city? I love it………………………..:)

So much to see, so little time.

krista lee says:

on May 7, 2009 at 1:10 am

OMG that is Hi-larious… I must adopt this new filing method…

Tom Di Maggio says:

on May 8, 2009 at 3:21 am

I’m organising a trip to NY this summer and I was wondering if you had any “photographic” advice, permits, locations, what not to etc….

Cheers,
Tom

Zac Grimaldo says:

on May 8, 2009 at 6:50 am

If you don’t tke this bit on tour, you need to at least incorporate it into one of your classes! Kelby Training would be a good place to start!

As a client said to me, not that long ago, ” I like it when you photographers are real funny!”

I do live in Texas….

David Apeji says:

on May 11, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Hi Joe, I find it interesting that you use Aperture. I always thought Photo Mechanic was your thing. I do wonder what Apple is doing though. Lightroom has now caught up and overtaken 2.0. Bibble 5 is on the way. They need to move and fast. I really don’t want to have to switch, but if they kill off the product …

karen mancuso says:

on May 15, 2009 at 10:44 am

I my gosh, you make me laugh so much. I am inspired now to try to organize my files better.

Lynn Michelle says:

on May 17, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Also peed myself laughing at your folder naming. Ok, peed myself. There, I said it.

Sass says:

on May 18, 2009 at 11:28 am

Had a laugh when I saw your new filestructure, seems like its the one we all have to copy ;o) Cheers.

andy says:

on May 19, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Your aperture library is yelling at you! Har har.

Andy Glogower says:

on May 29, 2009 at 6:21 pm

This is just awesome! One that I should add to my folder structure is…Stuff I like, but my wife think sucks!

Nike Kobe IV says:

on June 9, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Absolutely hilarious! You just made my week a lot better – thanks! PS. saving to take a class with you next year…

reklamcı says:

on June 12, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Thank you for informing me. an issue that information must be followed reklamcı
tasarımcı

reklam ajansları says:

on June 16, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Thank you for useful information. With love …
reklam ajansları