vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

Hot Stuff on a Cold Day

Mar 25

In Lighting, Seminars & Workshops at 1:58am

At PSW in Beantown, where winter chill lingers. We felt it for sure down at the shipyards yesterday, where we went to shoot on the NAPP Photo Safari. Great day, great group, and a tough bunch of models who braved the chill in shorts (for a while) and open toed high fashion shoes. They were a hard working group. Cassandra here had great range, so I put her by the explosives bunker (live rounds in there, what could go wrong?) and told her to act out some sort of espionage type escape deal.

Lens was 14-24mm f2.8 (very sharp) on a D3 at 250th of a second at around F13 or so. Two SB900 units, group A camera right, and group B camera left, lighting the, uh, explosives. We had a, uh, blast. More tk….

25 Responses to “Hot Stuff on a Cold Day”

Mark K. says:

on March 25, 2009 at 9:17 am

Ah! Cool image. Looks like you and Moose are having some fun.

Ron Uriel says:

on March 25, 2009 at 11:37 am

A good drama.

Tat bunker door together with the black-yellow stripes has a great impact. Did you take anoter photo of your model by that very door?

Ron Uriel says:

on March 25, 2009 at 11:38 am

What’s happening with my H’s today… :-)

Drew Gurian says:

on March 25, 2009 at 11:59 am

Couldn’t actually go past those chains, as there was literally 1,200 lbs of live black powder in there that they use to fire blanks from a ship cannon twice a day!

Ole M says:

on March 25, 2009 at 1:01 pm

cool pose..
wish Id be able to go to psw =)

Jeff Snyder says:

on March 25, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Sorry to have missed this week in Boston. Joe, cool image as always…Drew, I know you were itchin to fill your pockets with Black Powder…Think of the possibilities!

Chuck Carver says:

on March 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Joe, You left the door wide open so I just have to say it. ” You did another BANG up job”

Justin says:

on March 25, 2009 at 9:28 pm

What about the big guns to the right? (not pictured, except in shadow) Did you make any photographs of her acting like she’s shooting them like I have stupid pictures of myself doing? ;-) I really like how you lit the shelter.

David Brown says:

on March 25, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Strobist info? Looks like you’re using at least a single flash to light up the bunker, but how about that gorgeous catchlight on the model’s face: did you create that with your osn light, or did you corral the sun to do that for you?

Wicked shot, by the way, very dynamic.

Myron says:

on March 25, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I agree with Justin and David, the shadows tell tail sun’s position and the crew shadows might be considered clutter in the picture. Strobist suggest to use the sun as a main light and cross light to fill the shadows which seem overly underexposed. Camera left is handled by the sun extra strobes may not really add much light. except to fight the camera left fill.

Myron says:

on March 25, 2009 at 11:45 pm

David B that lovely catch light seems to be the white of her eyes–i can only see a little sliver of her iris.

Michael S. says:

on March 26, 2009 at 12:41 am

And it was great being in the presence of such greatness. Thanks for the great outing :)

Matthew says:

on March 26, 2009 at 9:52 am

I know this is off topic for the post, but…

Just finished reading your new book by the way. Great stuff. So far, the best book purchase of the year. You mention using rear sync with most of your shots.

Can the Nikon CLS system keep rear sync while triggering several flashes by itself, or is a PW required? I ask this as I am shooting Canon gear but cannot keep rear sync when using a 580 to talk to other 580s. I was wondering if I have to buy a PW for the 580s to keep the rear sync.

Thanks,

Matthew

Tyler, Chicago says:

on March 26, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Man after this winter, it looks positively like spring up there! Nice “powder room” for the lady.

Michael Miville says:

on March 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Funny, that pose is almost identical to the warrior on your book cover and at the top of the blog. Great shot though, the lighting is wonderful.

Jimbo-C says:

on March 26, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I really like the shadows of everyone standing around. How did you create them?

Iden Ford says:

on March 26, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Joe, it was a dream come true to take a workshop with you and to attend photoshop world. Your photography, your style, your humour, especially your humour, and the great teacher that you are made the day worth the price of admission to the whole event.
There is also the “cameraderie” that developed with most participants that was a bonus ( nice ladies especially!!).
I will use the whole experience as a motivator to push my photography to riskier and more interesting places.
Thanks for everything and get up to Canada when you can.
Best wishes
Iden Ford

Hans says:

on March 27, 2009 at 7:12 am

Cinematic & explosive Joe, looks like good fun. Would like to know if you did special stuff with the strobes (gelled them, used a snoot for her face or zoomed it to 200mm).

Professional photographer says:

on March 27, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hi,
Cool picture.
Beautiful sight.
Thanks for sharing.

Ken says:

on March 27, 2009 at 9:54 am

Just traded that lens for a 70-200 VR, Nikkor, 2.8

It makes me second guess

Thanks for the post
Ken in KY

Les Doerfler says:

on March 27, 2009 at 11:53 am

Great shot!

Question on the camera left strobe lighting the bunker. The light looks hard and focused. Was this achieved by zooming the 900 to 200mm? Maybe a snoot?

Jeff Tamagini says:

on March 29, 2009 at 11:38 am

I’ve said it to you several times over the last week. But thanks for a great time on the safari and for a great time all week long. There is just something about learning live in person that you cant learn from a DVD or online. And thanks for signing your new book for me.

Jeff

death knight builds says:

on March 29, 2009 at 8:29 pm

This picture has me laughing!

Javier Freytes says:

on March 30, 2009 at 8:55 am

That is a great shot, wish a could have been on the photo safari. Thanks for all the inspiration…