The Lighting Workshop-Day 7-Amazing Faces

Jan 26

In Seminars & Workshops at 9:52am

Amy…Beauty dish and a fill card….

Jasmine…2 SB-800 units…both through Trigrip diffusers…..

Aaron and Amy….Each with one SB-800..Trigrip diffuser…camera left and right…..

Alex….overhead diffusion, low beauty light….

Christina…one SB-800 through a diffuser, off to the side…..

Today is the last day….we’ve been having a ball…

More tk…

40 Responses to “The Lighting Workshop-Day 7-Amazing Faces”

Marcin Retecki says:

on January 26, 2009 at 10:35 am

Woot! Thank You for all those incredible photos! Very inspiring! :)

Timothy Herzog says:

on January 26, 2009 at 11:30 am

man oh man – I wish I could have come all week.

Seems like there was just so much learning and so much fun…

Thanks again for offering these workshops Joe, I feel very lucky to have been able to watch such a master at work.

-Tim

Richard Cave says:

on January 26, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Christina looks stunning, love the sheen of the silk, hair and skin.

Rich

Tanya Plonka says:

on January 26, 2009 at 1:14 pm

The results are amazing… I so wish I could have been there! It’s too bad the Photoshop World workshop is sold out :(

Eduar says:

on January 26, 2009 at 3:04 pm

You guys had a blast in those 6 days! :) the photos are beautiful thanks Joe for posting little videos of the seminars, for us that live far away and can’t assist those videos are made of solid gold :) .

kramon says:

on January 26, 2009 at 6:12 pm

F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C series!!!!!

Incredebly on-topic when it comes to lighting; almost as if I were taking part…

Thank you so much for charing.

What interests me very much, besides the lighting technique, is how you “hold” your lights and diffusers (the stands/clambs/rings/VALs…). Much of them are “standards” in the industry; but you seem to sort of “customize” them (like your famous SB-tree). You use a lot of booms (which makes perfect sense).
Maybe it’s a little off-topic for your blog, but I’d love to see/hear/read your techniques for holding and positioning SB’s and stuff.

Hope to see you in a workshop of yours in Europe some day.

behindthephoto says:

on January 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Thank you for the great coverage of the workshop. I was waiting everyday for the new photos and explanations, setups etc. Outstanding work as usual. Hats off.

janet says:

on January 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Can you tell me more about the overhead diffusion? Was that it? one diffused light? How far away. Ambient light? silver reflector below? I love that fresh look.

janet

Sergei says:

on January 26, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Joe, thank you for sharing all them days and on this one, with details on light – especially.
I wish i were able to attend, but chances of sneaking into one of your workshops on short notice (yes, my booking schedule sucks, i am probably the most disorganized person out there with camera) are less than growing second head. So for poor sods like me – this is great chance to observe.

(and i am still kicked by your outside flash idea in that new Nikon DVD. I cant believe this CLS worked from outside b/c it never does for me, no matter how i angle by SB900s, which does not make that shot with balerina any less of great idea)

Thank you. I am looking forward for your new posts and for upcoming book release.

Tim Thompson says:

on January 26, 2009 at 11:25 pm

You are amazing Joe! Everyday I visit and you inspire me to no end, Thank you.

Tim

mike says:

on January 26, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Joe, I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, but man – you’re a freakin’ genius! I’m quite mad at myself for missing this series, so I’ll just have to make it next time!

James says:

on January 27, 2009 at 12:14 am

Very cool. Thanks so much for your blog, and for sharing these pics and the info!

Mike Jandavs says:

on January 27, 2009 at 4:50 am

Wow. Inspiration everywhere. Amazing images as always. Can’t keep up with all your posts this week. You’re an animal! Rarr baby. Rarrr (Sorry. An out of context Austin Powers thingie. It’s late)

Tom says:

on January 27, 2009 at 10:44 am

I had the great pleasure of attending this workshop. First I have to say, no matter how much you know about lighting, both studio and small speedlites, you will gain a wealth of information here. Not just pointing light, but understanding how to shape and most important, THINK, light. It’s not only “here’s how to do it” it’s WHY this happens and/or how to think it thru thus leading to a creative thought process when it comes to your personal artist view.

Most importantly, while you should agree this workshop it an amazing value, there is reasons. It is clear that Joe does not make a fortune of money here as he has space to rent, people/staff to pay, equipment to maintain and my fav food to order, but think about this for a moment. While Joe could have rented a fancy NYC studio he chose a WONDERFUL factory/Studio in NY’s westchester, and both he and his entire staff worked their butt’s off taking a empty space and making it 4 large changeable sets complete with each set having a large array of both Big and small lighting so he could teach us at a VERY reasonable rate. And I do mean, when you see the site you know that each member worked very, very hard. They did this for us. Take a look around, you will see dozens of “workshops” that IMO, do not come close to the content level and charging a great deal more.
I would save the money on equipment if you have to and attend this workshop.
Thanks Joe…!!!

Andy Colwell says:

on January 28, 2009 at 12:42 am

Being able to count myself in for this, the last day of the workshops, I can truly join the chorus of “Yep it’s worth it”‘s because…it is! It was not only a phenomenal learning environment with excellent staff and talent, but also a gem of a day. Regardless of ability, count yourself unfulfilled until you witness the buzz that is in the air when such a personality like Joe is in the zone – and I’m not talking about the sound that recycling packs make.

When we weren’t blowing fuses – and even when we were – we were having a blast, and I think anyone present during any of the days can agree: it was well worth whatever it took (a drive from central PA in this case) to participate. And, just about anyone who witnesses this work, either here on the blog or there in person, will almost certainly come away with a significant ‘wow’ factor. It was a great pleasure all around for me, including the participant camaraderie.
If you can, take the chance, regardless of how you think you stand photographically, and learn firsthand at one of these tight events, if you haven’t already: you will certainly not be disappointed.

john fowler says:

on January 28, 2009 at 3:50 am

Thank you again Joe for these lovely and inspiring images. Amy is beautiful! As is everyone.

Michael Petrizzo says:

on January 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Thanks for the great post. I love seeing the actual shoot with the lighting setup, models, shooter etc. Great job.

Stace says:

on January 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting the video Joe – love the Napkin sketches, and seeing it in full motion is even better!

Naqib Albar (qippy) says:

on January 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Hi Joe..I really like your work its definitely the kind of pics I’ve been growing up with since our family has always been loyal subscribers to the National Geographic Mag ever since I was little..I was so amazed at the great lengths of danger you went through just to shoot that Empire State building shots..It really made me feel humbled as a photographer that I am still not doing enough..heheh…Anyway I’m beginning to use more and more off camera flash techniques after being so inspired by you, I must say the results have been quite startling and fresh cos I hardly used this technique before..I must say I’m still bogged down with the technical bit of ratios and light placements and I wish I can get to a more creative level where these things will go away and only my creativity will help me feel through the image..man I really wish you would plan such workshops here in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia..It would be so great to have someone like you have a workshop down here..anyway best off luck and I will be tuning in to this blog more in the future…

John Starace says:

on January 28, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Thanks Joe, I had a great time at the workshops in front of and behind the camera. Tell Lynn the Chili was great!! And I will knock on the dressing room curtain before entering next time. Kudos to Joe’s team of assistants, that did a great job. I learned a lot and thanks for making me look beautiful!!!!

Mike says:

on January 29, 2009 at 1:48 am

When is The Hot Shoe Diaries supposed to be released? I’d like to toss you a few more bucks.

Also I hope its not all about the Nikon flashes. Some of us use Canon.

Regards.

Bob DeChiara says:

on January 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

Great stuff as always. I wouldn’t expect anything less from the king himself.

-Bob
(Boston)

Andy says:

on January 29, 2009 at 9:54 am

I’ve just read your blog…your whole blog…backwards! (I’m working my notice period just now)

Enjoyed it immensely and I’ll be following it in the future. Any chance of a free book?

Andy

P.S. Where did you get ringbound paper napkins from?

Patrik says:

on January 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Was there any filming during these days that you are gonna put up on http://www.kelbytraining.com?

Jørgen Larsen says:

on February 1, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Great!!!

Best Regards
Jørgen Larsen

Tim Camuso says:

on February 2, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Looks like you all had a blast. I wish I was there.

Robert says:

on February 3, 2009 at 5:13 am

I loved the picture of Jasmine, a perfect make up/light combo. I have to start using diffusers myself, never done much with them so far. I wonder what angle you had them at?

Andy says:

on February 3, 2009 at 6:17 am

You MUST come to Australia! We need workshops! Its a great country you would love it!

Curtis says:

on February 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Great insight Joe. Thanks for sharing. When are you coming to SOUTH Florida? Thanks for the good work!

C<

Jane May says:

on February 22, 2009 at 9:38 pm

If you are coming to Traverse City, Michigan in October, you should get over to the Sleeping Bear dunes for a few pictures off the top of the dunes. It is incredible. There are several breath taking sites in that area.

Markus Spring says:

on March 5, 2009 at 3:45 am

Wow – #1 is really a #1 for me. Wonderful lyrical, soulful light and great tight framing. Applause!

ekspekt says:

on June 30, 2009 at 5:48 pm

interesting post, will come back here, bookmarked your site

Samner says:

on July 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

Thank you Joe for these beautiful images!
I like what you do.

kai says:

on January 21, 2010 at 7:56 pm

THIS OF AMY IS SOOO GREAT!!

ITS… JUST GREAT!!!

regards, Kai

Max says:

on June 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Where is the video? It could be very interesting :-) More Tk ;-)

Milla Marryat says:

on October 29, 2011 at 1:39 am

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same ideas you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would value your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

Alessandra Calta says:

on February 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm

When it comes to real estate I don;t know how you find the time to write so well but here is a little something
Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of. :)