vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

The Lighting Workshop, Day 6….or, Valarie’s Boyfriend Came Over

Jan 25

In Seminars & Workshops at 9:50am

His name is Aaron, also a trainer at Crunch, and a very gracious presence on the set. Both he and Valarie are amazing.

I kidded with Aaron yesterday that if he and Valarie stay together, they’re gonna make some beautiful kids…

Process of light here was pretty simple. First, the hoodie portrait, with an Elinchrom beauty dish directly overhead of him, diffused at the source with the sock that goes with the dish, and then diffused again with a 3×3 Lastolite panel. Smooth light. Then we added 4 SB-800 units, running SU-4 on two sticks winged out slightly behind him camera right and left. Zoomed to 105, gaffer tape gobos so they didn’t spill onto the background. This produced nice highlights on the sides of his body. Then, we peeled off the diffusion. Took away the 3×3, took away the sock, and put a silver panel on the floor where he is standing. Bounced two more SB units straight down into it. His body goes even more electric.

Aaron was terrific. At the end he thanked all of us, and said we were the real talent, and he was just, in his words, “a prop.” As I said to him then, “There are props and there are props.” He has real talent, and a remarkable look in front of the lens.

We’ve certainly been having fun.

Of course, Team Emmanuel showed up….Kristin, Adriana, and Ekaterina…..

As did Joe Hodges, dear friend, and veteran of 29 years with FDNY. Good guy. Great subject. This could be called his retirement portrait. As you can see, he’s already working on a scruff.

We did this with one Elinchrom 3′ square softbox, and then duplicated it with 2 SB-800 units through a Lastolite panel.

And of course, the lovely Kristin was amazed by it all….

This done in the basement, all with SB units…..Lastolite all in one umbrella, green gelled flashes down the hall…..

18 Responses to “The Lighting Workshop, Day 6….or, Valarie’s Boyfriend Came Over”

Richard Cave says:

on January 25, 2009 at 10:27 am

Cool bike, the girls show how big it really is. Thanks for sharing.

Rich

trunkmonkey says:

on January 25, 2009 at 10:28 am

(kid in the back waves his hand)
“Then we added 4 SB-800 units, running SU-4 on two sticks winged out slightly behind him camera right and left. Zoomed to 105, gaffer tape gobos so they didn’t spill onto the background. This produced nice highlights on the sides of his body. Then, we peeled off the diffusion. Took away the 3×3, took away the sock, and put a silver panel on the floor where he is standing. Bounced two more SB units straight down into it. His body goes even more electric.”

can you do one of your cool sketches so i can SEE what you mean prof? I read that paragraph like 3 times and since i’m a visual type, i got lost after the word Gaffer…

Billy Mitchell says:

on January 25, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I like the reflector. Joe, that looks like something i would do.

Xavier Rey says:

on January 25, 2009 at 12:11 pm

nice serie !

Bob Klein says:

on January 25, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Love this site, and even though I shoot Canon, I have bought the videos and found them great. However I would like this site more if Joe or his assistants would stand back and shoot a wide shot of these setups ( similar to the earlier CAT scan/x-ray photos).

Tom says:

on January 25, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I hope all the models are grateful for the thousands of dollars worth of shots they got for the next time they go for a gig.

Great stuff all week. Thanks

Billy Mitchell says:

on January 25, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Joe, You need this guy. http://michaelbass.blogspot.com/
I think he may live close to you.
Billy

Mo says:

on January 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Joe..This workshop series is amazing. I really hope all of this ends up in the new book cause for sure I will read it over and over. Can you give us one of those nice napkin diagrams for the lighting setups..Thanks a lot and keep up the great work flowing
-Mo

aradilon says:

on January 25, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Nice pics and cool video Joe, what lens was that in the first few seconds of the video??

Mark K. says:

on January 25, 2009 at 9:30 pm

How does one say “Wow” a number of times? What a workshop. What “props”. What a week. Thanks for sharing!

And Jealousy Curve’s Black Widow…lookit you, you hip shooter you! :-D

Tatiana Boyle says:

on January 26, 2009 at 12:34 am

I’m with Kristin but picking up my lower jaw from the basement.

Thank you, Joe. [Spasibo!]

Luke Townsend says:

on January 26, 2009 at 3:55 am

all I can say is………

YOU ROCK!!!

Bob M. Montgomery says:

on January 26, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I’m still recovering from this day. My mind hasn’t yet processed the volumes of information from the experience. I truly learned more in the first 30 minutes than I have in my last 3 years of shooting, despite 20+ years behind the lens; that realization alone was enough to wake me up quick-like. Lighting is exciting, as the images prove.

All I can say is ‘thank you’ to everyone involved, from the amazing McNally crew (Joe, Lynn, Drew, Will, Linda and Andrew, who apparently has ‘a life,’ whatever that is…) to the absolutely wonderful talent (and they are true talents), including our three amazing models (Kristin, Adriana, and Ekaterina), the gracious and awesome Aaron, and last but never least Joe and John, NYC’s finest. It was a life changing experience.

If you get a chance to experience this event, do it; I know I will.

Arun says:

on January 26, 2009 at 10:24 pm

For all of you who could not make it – you have to jump in one the next series of workshops. Joe was fantastic and he and the crew worked hard. I have some shots of Joe on my blog (http://www.arunpaulphoto.blogspot.com).
Thanks Joe and gang !!

Frank Burch says:

on January 26, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Joe, this was the best workshop I’ve ever attended. I loved the way you would set up a shot with big lights and power packs, then break it down and show us how to do the same thing with a small light solution. Great job! I’ll be back!

Ryan says:

on January 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I love these photos, and am anxious to try out these techniques. I wish one day I will be able to attend a Workshop by Joe.

Jack Miller says:

on February 23, 2009 at 3:17 am

Mine is on order thanks to early notice from Syl. Will be checking my mailbox every day!