vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

The Lighting Workshops, Day 3

Jan 22

In Seminars & Workshops at 9:31am

I periodically go to Crunch, a NY gym, and meet my friend Ederin there, who’s a boxing trainer. He then takes me into a ring and kicks my sorry ass, up, down and sideways. I figure I’m just honoring a long and proud tradition the Irish have of getting hit in the head.

I did the pictures Ederin uses on his training business cards quite a while ago, so he knows I’m a photog. Last week, I walked into the gym and there was this unconsciously beautiful trainer with a whole bunch of great hair piled on top of her head. Ederin told me her name was Valarie, and she was looking to have someone do pictures of her.

“Step aside! This will be difficult task, but someone has to do it!” I introduced myself and asked if she would be interested in helping us at the workshop. She immediately said yes. Logical, really. I mean, who would say no to me?

Boy, are we lucky. Valarie came up yesterday and lit up the loading dock at the old factory, big time.

This was a more complicated setup than I bargained for, but well worth it. The light is a combo of one Elinchrom Ranger with a long throw reflector, out on the dock, firing back into the plastic draping, along with 6 SB units. One is camera left and responsible for the green wall. Another green highlight is down and on the right. The red glow is coming from 2 units laid down on the floor, courtesy of a suggestion from Dale Zanine, who, glutton for punishment that he is, came back for another workshop after having spent a week with me in Santa Fe. He’s a terrific shooter with a long history of great sports photography. Below is the scene on the dock. Another Ezybox hotshoe solution. Can’t get enough of that light. Photo by participant Richard Haber.

Then, there was Joy.

Very appropriate subject for a beauty light combination, yes? Wonderful look, wonderful presence. Her mom and brother came along for a time and hung around with us on the set. And, speaking of the set, we had my bud from Ladder 6 in Chinatown, recently retired firefighte John Starace, up for the day.

John posed for some character portraits, cause he is, well, a character. He’s in SAG and in his next career, expect to see him in Goodfellas, Part 2.

All the above shot D3, tethered to Macbook Pro. All images shot on Lexar digital media. We’re back at it again today. More tk…..

18 Responses to “The Lighting Workshops, Day 3”

John says:

on January 22, 2009 at 10:52 am

Love the updates, can’t wait to attend the workshop on Sunday.

Bill Bogle, Jr. says:

on January 22, 2009 at 11:28 am

As can be seen in the first picture, we would follow you anywhere. Where is the tight shot that Drew took that you are going to use for the back of the Hot Shoes Diary book? It was sooo you.

The shots of Valarie are stunning. And John as well. Who knew Andrew’s calling would be in front of the lens, not behind it.

Thanks again for the great day. I can see that the days that have followed have been just as educational, exciting and enjoyed by all.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Richard Cave says:

on January 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm

You are having too much fun there, love the backlit shot of valarie, plenty of tude as I call it. I hope emmanuel drop a casting card in her direction. Hope you give Joy that photo as it is lit beautifully, though in portraitiure I was taught to keep eye highlights above the 9 o clock to 3 o clock line, just proves you can break the rules and still win.

Looking forward to more, oh before I forget, UK trip, near Ireland home of fish and chips, queuing and bad teeth when are you visiting?

Rich

arun says:

on January 22, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Hey Joe – can’t wait. Looking forward to learning and gleaning
see you this weekend

Mark Basse says:

on January 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm

You must mean that Valerie is a model that also happens to be a trainer…!!! Terrific example of making the location work regardless of where it is. That’s the fun stuff…

Joris Haas says:

on January 22, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Great post Joe. I love the Valerie pictures. They look so gritty.
Thanks for sharing.

Ps: When is your next book due? My “The moment it klicks” is already falling apart.

Cheers, Joris

Frank (cooksfriend) says:

on January 22, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Love the photograph of the setup on the dock. The guys are dressed like you are doing a meat locker shoot and there is Joy in a sleeveless top, enjoying the moment.

cooksfriend

Mark K. says:

on January 22, 2009 at 5:51 pm

She’s a trainer? Looks like she should be The World’s Next Top Model.

Love how you’re showing us the set ups. Some small space, but the lighting combo electrifies it.

Michael Warf says:

on January 22, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Love the overhead light you get from that Ezybox on the boom, beautiful shot. I’ve been looking at a few eBay knockoffs – not sure of the build quality though, I’m sure you get what you pay for.

chritina Wehbe says:

on January 22, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Hi Joe, i had so much fun on the workshop on monday. keep trucking.

Christina

Bill Bogle Jr. says:

on January 23, 2009 at 12:27 am

Frank

If it was anything like it was on Monday, it was a meat locker. Look at the top picture and see how we were bundled up, and Andrew took his shirt off to show off his new tat. Nothing would go bad in that building on Monday. Hope it got warmer for the models and the crew.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Marc Lanciaux says:

on January 23, 2009 at 12:59 am

I learned more in that one day workshop than I have from the mult-thousands of dollars I’ve spent on books and DVD’s, ect.

Now I have a reason to justify my Adorama and Amazon addiction to buying stuff.

Kudos to Joe and crew for keeping things moving, fun and educational at the same time. The workshop was top notch and much appreciated by this novice shooter.

Nick Fancher says:

on January 23, 2009 at 12:47 pm

The shot with the remote strobe and green gel behind the curtain is brilliant. You continually remind me of why you get paid the big bucks. I plan on stealing this lighting setup, BTW. Thanks!

Larry Cohan says:

on January 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm

That workshop was extremely educational. It was fun getting inside the brain of a world-class photographer. Hearing Joe’s constant stream of thought as he evolved each photo scenario was enlightening (pun intended). Joe is the embodiment of “iteration” (converging trial-and-error). He keeps thinking of novel ideas on how to improve the photo when most of us would have declared victory and turned off the lights. No wonder his clients love him.

Joe, Lynn, his expert staff, the gorgeous models, and the very savvy shooters in the class all made that day very productive as well as enjoyable.

Thanks to all involved.

Cap’n Larry

Larry Cohan says:

on January 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

Joe … I forgot to tell you …

Anytime you need to have a large sailboat venue for a shoot, let me know. I’m out of Annapolis.

Cap’n Larry

Bryan Espinoza says:

on January 28, 2009 at 12:55 am

Amazing! I’ve tried to get these kinds of shots. Guess I need more practice. Just did a photo-shoot for a fitness model. Turned out ok. On another note, I’m looking at the Kauai workshop… can’t wait. Thanks for being so generous with your advice.

Krka (Poland) says: