B&H Event Space Report

Feb 19

In Seminars & Workshops at 11:00am

B&H BradHad a great day at B&H on Sunday. Had a lot of fun, and met some super nice people who really made me feel welcome, and also had some great questions. David Brommer, who runs the B&H event space, says we set a record for attendance, and there were a bunch of people standing at the edges of the room.

In thanking B&H yesterday I remarked that they have turned the unusual trick of actually becoming a definitive part of our culture. In other words, it would tough to imagine NYC without B&H. They have turned a camera store into a tourist destination! You see people downstairs, glassy eyed, mouth agape, scoping the stuff on the conveyor belts, looking for all the world like they are auditioning for an role in Close Encounters. It’s wild. 64,000 square feet of stuff. My assistant Brad had to blindfold and straight jacket me and whisk me through the store on a small hand truck lest I reach for my credit cards and start lighting them up.

8 Responses to “B&H Event Space Report”

Paul says:

on February 19, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I’m glad to hear that, even with your great success, deep down that you are still a gear head! I’m glad that the weekend was a success. I order everything from B&H and would hate to end up in their store. I don’t know if I could handle it !!!

Emon says:

on February 19, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Had a great time at the event and your presentation is inspiring! That’s me at lower left corner with the blue collar chewing on my fingers. :)

Dee says:

on February 19, 2008 at 5:30 pm

HA! Yeah, I went to see your ‘free’ talk, and left having spent over $400.

BUT, I was able to score what must have been the very last box of Polaroid Type55 on the island of Manhattan.

I’d call that a good day!

Ryan says:

on February 19, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I really had a good time at your seminar Sunday, taking the train from Philadelphia to A)hear you speak and B)visit B&H for the first time (I left $600 lighter in the pocket). Both experiences were rather humbling, really. I had bought your book the week it came out and was floored. I appreciate the honesty in your words. At the risk of sounding just too cheesy, I left your seminar very inspired. I’ve grown increasingly passionate about photography and whether I’m shooting the cover of Time or just a small wedding for a couple that lives 2 hours from my house, I hope to make this a means of both artistic and monetary rewards. Thanks.

Also: My fiancee’ looks at me with glazed eyes when I try to talk to her about photography, but she read the first few pages of your book and approves of my babbling about it due to your words you wrote about your wife in the acknowledgments section. “Aww…he seems really nice!” Thanks again.

James Garland says:

on February 20, 2008 at 6:58 am

Its sad… but my wife and I are planning a trip to NY just so we can go to B&H… The credit cards are paid off and ready to go! LOL :o )

Henry Posner says:

on February 20, 2008 at 10:02 am

Joe:
You’re ALWAYS welcome at B&H. It was a pleasure to have you and we look forward to an encore performance.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jason D says:

on February 21, 2008 at 11:26 am

Yo Joe’
(I’m an 80′s kid)
I came to the event at B&H and had a great time. I brought 2 friends 1 who is an amateur photographer (like myself) and 1 who is not. We all left appreciating your work. Being new to photography I am just coming up to speed on the whose who in the industry. I never realized how many times I have seen and been moved by your work. I have many outstanding take aways from your seminar. Just starting out and being a technophile, the amount of things I need to learn and options i.e. accessories are mind blowing. It was great to have a seminar focus on the personal aspects of photography which is to just shoot what you love rather than lens, lighting etc…used.

BMW X6 says:

on December 7, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Good on ya mate, hope it works out for you :)