vsncouver-gilbertCanadian_Tour_0101Canadian_Tour_0099Canadian_Tour_0097Canadian_Tour_0094

Equipment

8 GB Lexar Professional UDMA 300x CF Cards
PocketWizards MultiMAX Transceiver
Hoodman HoodLoupe Professional
Moose Peterson’s Warm (81A)+PL 77mm Filter
Hitech 85mm 0.9 Graduated Neutral Density Filter
Singh-Ray Thin 77mm Vari-ND Filter
Lens Filters (Kodak and Lee brands)
Nikon Gelatin Filter Holders
Giotto Rocket Air Blower
Visible Dust Sensor Cleaner

Nikon Flashes
SB-900 AF Speedlight
SB-800 AF Speedlight
SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander

Flash Accessories
Nikon SC-29 TTL Coiled Remote Cord
Nikon SD-8A Hi-Performance Battery Pack (For the SB-800)
Nikon SD-9 Hi-Performance Battery Pack (For the SB-900)
Lumiquest 80-20

1/4 Cut PlusGreen
1/8 Cut PlusGreen
Full Cut CTB

1/2 Cut CTB
1/4 Cut CTB
1/8 Cut CTB
Roscolux Swatch Book – If you want to experiment with a wide variety of gels, buy this before buying larger sheets.

Joe’s Camera Bag(s)

EL Octa 74″ Softbox
Rotalux Junior Octa 53″ Softbox
Rotalux Mini Octa 39″ Softbox
Rotalux Deep Throat Octa 39″ Softbox
Standard Reflector 8″ w/grid set
Standard Reflector 7″ w/grid set
High Performance Reflector 10″ (Long Throw)
Softlite Reflector 44 cm 80° white w/Deflector Set (Beauty Dish)
Rotalux 27″ Square Softbox

Lightware RC1048 Rolling Stand Bags

Tripods & Accessories
Gitzo GT-5560SGT Tripod w/Center Column

Manfrotto 468MG Hydrostatic Ball Head
Manfrotto Accessory Arm 3153B
Gitzo G065 Monitor and Laptop Platform
Gitzo GT-2541L Tripod (when a smaller tripod is needed)
Gitzo GM5540 Monopod

Lastolite
Tri-Grips

Reflectors
3′x 3′ Skylite Panel Kit (Sunfire/White & Diffusion)
3′x 3′ Skylite Panel Kit (Silver/White & Diffusion)
3′x 3′ Black/White Fabric
6′x 3′ Skylite Panel Kit (Sunfire/White & Diffusion)
6′x 3′ Skylite Panel Kit (Silver/White & Diffusion)

6′x 3′ Black/White Fabric
6′x 6′ Skylite Panel Kit (Sunfire/White & Diffusion)
6′x 6′ Skylite Panel Kit (Silver/White & Diffusion)
6′x 6′ Black/White Fabric

Epson Expression 10000XL Flatbed Scanner
Apple 15” MacBook Pro
NIK Software Complete Collection
Extra Rechargeable MBP Batteries
Lexar Professional UDMA Firewire 800 Readers
Lexar Professional UDMA Dual-Slot USB Reader
Monster High Performance USB 2.0 cable w/extender (for tethered shooting)
160-GB iPod Classic
Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise-Cancelling Headphones
JBL Duet Speakers
Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess National Access Card
Lacie Rugged 500GB Mobile Hard Drives
Lacie Rugged 250GB Mobile Hard Drives
Data Robotics Drobo 4 Bay Storage Array

Epson Printers & Accessories
Stylus Pro 7880
Stylus Pro 3800
Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper (13″x19″)
Exhibition Fine Art Fiber Paper (13″x19″)
Exhibition Fine Art Fiber Paper (24″x30″)

Various Accessories
Sharpies
Leatherman Wave tool
Petzl Headlamp
Sources of entertainment/imagination/inspiration such as Blazing Saddles, This Is Spinal Tap, Young Frankenstein, Super Troopers, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Office Space, Hot Fuzz, etc.

35 Responses to “Equipment”

Jay Mann says:

on July 9, 2008 at 4:33 am

This is a great idea, the instant link to Adorama is cool. Having taken Joe’s classes three times ( I am a slow learner) I know he also uses the RRS plates and ball heads also. I don’t see them listed.

A glossary of terms, like in the book would be a good thing for newbies. I know what a fnguy, a pepper, gobo, cheeseball piece of ^&*& are but to those who don’t understand Joe Speak it must be a challenge. They will not be absorbing the full impact of much of the blog.

James Jones says:

on July 9, 2008 at 8:20 am

D700? Give us the scoop!

Ben Brunt says:

on July 9, 2008 at 11:02 am

Hi Joe – thanks for this great list of equipment. I have one of your DVD’s and it is nice to see what equipment you were using.

Maybe you have talked about this before but how do you manage all your images once you are back in the studio?

Thanks Joe!

Ben Brunt says:

on July 9, 2008 at 11:02 am

Thanks Joe!

Claudio Sergiacomo says:

on July 9, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Hi Joe, I’m a huge fan of your work and I have to thank you for all the inspiration I have had from your work and now from your DVD and Book.

As a commercial photographer who was basically born in the Digital Age of Photography I had to learn by myself all the secrets (still lot to learn) of photography not the case of the computer stuff being myself a computer geek and graphic designer so that learning curve was long time left behind.

Looking an the list of your photo equipment I don’t see the D2 bodies… I imagine you got rid of them, already LOL, and as Jay Mann said above, where is your RSS stuff. You did use some for the fire truck shooting.

Despite the fact that I’m based in Venezuela I travel a lot to the Tri State area (CT/NJ/NY for those outside of the US) so I hope to be able to go to one ot your workshops so that I can keep going with my never ending learning proccess.

If you have time please feel free to see my portfolio which represent also the use of lots of the lighting techniques I have learnt from you.

Thanks Joe

Kurt Roesand says:

on July 9, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Amazing list, it is really great to get this pointer from a professional like you.

I just have to make my own list on my blog too now. :)

Bob DeChiara says:

on July 9, 2008 at 5:48 pm

How many years did it take to buy all that stuff?? Holy smokes!

Great idea to list everything. Brad was that your idea? Or was it Nigel’s

-Bob

Chris King says:

on July 10, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Hey Joe,

Man I have followed you since meeting you at DLWS Yellowstone back in October 2006.

You really do know how to inspire non-pros like me to continue with the hobby and someday make something of it.

Keep up the stories of your adventures. The fill the gap in between my own adventures!

-Chris King

Doug Chinn says:

on July 10, 2008 at 3:32 pm

WOW! Wotta lotta gear you got!

P.S. What’s a Nikon? Is it some sort of primitive Canon?

Seriously, for a change, Great idea to list all your kit. Maybe one day………..in Canon of course.

Lewis Woodyard says:

on July 15, 2008 at 7:25 pm

I think it was Elvis that said, ” I finally got my s!@# together, now, I just can’t move it.” No wonder Brad had a oh crap moment when the pw’s turned up missing. How do you “go lightly” when you have enough toys to fill two boxes? I usually insist on packing my own gear so the routine is consistent. Most photographers cannot string that many thoughts together How do you decide what to take?

Judson Crossland says:

on August 6, 2008 at 2:36 am

Joe, Great to see you here on the web…

I’m certain you don’t remember me but we met @ PMA 2007 right after you did a CLS talk at the Nikon booth… As I recall you told one of the other Nikon guys after your talk there that one of the 600s wasn’t working correctly (incognito, I just happened to be standing right behind you) … but… We never would have known.
To preface:
I shoot a D3, (2) D300′s and just got my D700, I think I’m up to 8 SB’s and just got my hands on a 900… Thank GOODNESS!
My lenses are identical to yours except I shoot with the 60mm not the 105, and I don’t have the 200-400 or the 200/2
I shoot allot of all-around stuff… everything from (night high school) sports to weddings and landscape all the way to interiors and portraits.

Anyway, My question is pretty simple.
The longest lens I have right now is the 70-200 2.8 with the 1.7
I am about to get either the 200-400/4 OR the 300 2.8 AF-S VR…

Talking with Nikon Rep Bill Koter, Tech Rep Terence, a few of my fellow NPS members… Some of my Pro friends… I can’t get ANY answer to sway me one way or the other…

I’ve been told the 300 2.8 is tack/razor/pin needle sharp… BUT I like the range of the 200-400… the F-stop while is important… not so much with the 3 series of cameras… (With my D2x/h and 200′s I would not be having this talk… the 2.8 would trump the range due to lack ISO capability.)

So Which one should I go with?

PS I would do the normal thing and get NPS to send me each of them… one at a time… but right before Beijing… I understand all the NPS glass is over there.

Thanks again for sharing!

Judson

ACL Photo &
Shewmakers Camera

Aaron Ansarov says:

on August 25, 2008 at 5:00 pm

Joe, you are the most amazing man on the planet!

I found your list of equipment as I always want to be like you. One suggestion is maybe to create a list of all the extra programs you install on your mac gear.
This would help to realize what you use to process your images or make your life easier (or should I say the other guy’s lives easier).
Aside from the standard Photoshop and iTunes I am looking for whether you use Nikon NX, Phase One, Aperture, Photo Mechanic, etc.

Thanks Joe. I hope to see you again soon,

Aaron & Anna

Andrew Klapatiuk says:

on September 12, 2008 at 10:42 am

Hey Joe,

What software are you using to process Nikon .NEF files?
Aperture, Lightroom, Capture NX2?

What have you found works best for you?

Thanks,

AK

barbee says:

on October 6, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Monty Python and the Holy Grail!! now that is some class :)
namaste :)
barbee

The Long Ranger says:

on October 9, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Hi Joe…

I see you use the Nikon MH-22 Quick Charger which at well over $200 has got to be one of the world’s greatest rip-off”s. If one happens to get it “free” as “professional consideration,” then God bless, but if one happens to buy it, they might just as well consider themselves as having been “skinned like a rube.”

The problem is that the unit doesn’t do anything that the “free” MH-21which comes with bodies like the D2X(s) and D3 does. In other words, the MH-22 only charges one battery at a time despite the fact one may position TWO batteries in the charger. By that I mean that one may install two, but they are only charged one at a time.

The MH-21 does the same thing with the only difference being that you have to change the battery to the second once the first one is charged. The issue: the MH-22 DOES NOT charge BOTH batteries at the same time. Rather, it charges one…and once that one is fully charged…it, then, charges the second. One can do the EXACT same thing with the MH-21, but manually…and save some $200+ dollars in the process.

If the MH-22 were to charge BOTH batteries at the SAME time, then it might be worthwhile, but given the way that it is, it’s nothing more than a rip-off… But, that’s just my opinion and you, Joe, may feel differently…and if you do, I’d like, and very much appreciate knowing why… Many thanks, in advance…

Dick
The Long Ranger

Matthew T says:

on November 28, 2008 at 1:00 am

Man!
The list goes on!

I feel like such a newbie when all I have is a Nikon D40x and an Aperture 2 / Photoshop CS3 Combo. Mix that in with natural light, and I’m good to go :)

I love your blog btw :P

E28 says:

on January 8, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Do you have a suggestion list for a new beginner to purchase equipment? Starter Kit to setup a small studio, kinda like the equipment used in Bob Kirst intro? Thanks

e28

Sebastian says:

on January 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm

WOW… how do you keep track of what do you have?:) Cheers!

Jeremy says:

on March 7, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I don’t mean to be a dope, but where do I get a 12 foot silk? Did you have yours made? Fabric store?
Thanks for everything!

j

Brad Mahoff says:

on March 8, 2009 at 1:25 am

This is a great blog, thanks for the post, I enjoyed it.

Jamie Willmott says:

on March 19, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Inconceivable! :)

Shailesh Johar says:

on March 25, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Hello Joe,

Do you keep interns/assistants and give away your “not in use out-dated” equipments to meritorious one :) . You have exactly the things I have on my wishlist. I’m working hard to get a D3 and some good glass. Reading your list is an inspiration.

Thanks

Shailesh Johar

Allen Strickland says:

on April 22, 2009 at 12:31 pm

When packing light, do you just need the bodies, lenses and Monty Python?

Mark Winely says:

on June 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Just finished reading your Hot Shoe Diaries book – thanks!! It has been a great help and inspiration for ideas. Question – I want to purchase either the EZY-box or a lastolite diffusion panel – smaller size. I will purchase both long term, but up-front, what would you recommend first? What has greater applicability.

Streamyx Yap says:

on March 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for sharing the infos, I find it very useful. I am reading your weblog from my motel room

Chloe Hartford says:

on July 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

I attempted to subscribe for your rss, but had an issue adding it to google reader. Could you please check out this page.

Vincenza Buccheri says:

on August 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

Fantastic read. I identified your web page from a google search, and was glad i did. The details has helped me immensely.

Garfield Crosten says:

on August 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Admirable website! I’ll possibly be referencing some of this details in my next speech. I would appreciate it should you visited my website at

video says:

on October 24, 2010 at 4:18 am

I’ll be sure to keep you updated.

Joella Zyla says:

on October 24, 2010 at 9:07 am

Solid info here. I am still looking for additional ideas on travel tips and would very much appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Eano says:

on March 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

Hi, Joe…..
I’m… Watching your video Creative Light, & I saw your pc…
Can you tell me what software do you used for monitoring the image that you just shoot?

I read in your list above & I don’t find it…
(I don’t know exactly the software)

Thanks before Joe…..

George Wright says:

on November 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Nice blog, thanks for your time in writing your posts :)